Mind-Enhancing Supplements

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Mind-Enhancing Supplements

Postby Natural ChemE on February 25th, 2011, 6:24 pm 

Like many of the folks on this forum, I make a living off of my brain chugging along. The faster it chugs, the more money I make and the more time I have for, well, living. So, I'm interested in supplements which might help.

Most of the supplements that I already know about are simple stimulants, my first one being Mountain Dew and my favorite being Five Hour Energy. Never did acquire a taste for coffee.

Does anyone know of any legal supplements which might reasonably be perceived as promoting mental activity? In addition to proven supplements, I'd appreciate leads on supplements which might be reasonably suspected to have some positive effect. This would include supplements which aid in memory, learning, clarity, or even just staying awake for an all-nighter.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Re: Mind-Enhancing Supplements

Postby xcthulhu on February 25th, 2011, 8:34 pm 

Natural ChemE wrote:Does anyone know of any legal supplements which might reasonably be perceived as promoting mental activity? In addition to proven supplements, I'd appreciate leads on supplements which might be reasonably be suspected to have some positive effect. This would include supplements which aid in memory, learning, clarity, or even just staying awake for an all-nighter.

Obligatory lame answer: try exercise and proper diet. Get out an play squash or go rock climbing or skiing. Arrange for you and your friends to get out of the lab/library/world-of-warcraft and play some ultimate Frisbee. You could totally try to learn parkour, the French martial art of running away. Try to eat fruits and vegetables like kale if you can stomach it. Maybe quit beer and soda for a while. You can always stop going to the campus cafeteria/out for fast food - you'll feel better. And perhaps instead you could try making healthy, homecooked romantic dinners for you and your significant other. Significant others love that.
xcthulhu
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Natural ChemE on February 25th, 2011, 8:56 pm 

xcthulhu,

Of course, you're right, being in a good shape can help one think, and I appreciate the advice. Still, I'm interested in more ways that one's thought process might be improved.

I'm not looking to fix something that's broken but to improve something that's working well.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Sisyphus on February 26th, 2011, 12:32 am 

What about increasing oxygen to the brain? I think the air we breathe is only 20.8% oxygen. What if we tried using one of those oxygen tanks and masks some old people use? Could that have an effect?
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (60)

Postby Natural ChemE on February 26th, 2011, 1:21 am 

Sisyphus,

It's a neat idea, although I'm under the impression that we're already fully saturated with the stuff. Oxygen doesn't dissolve too well in our blood, so our red blood cells grab up oxygen when they pass through our lungs. I've been under the impression that red blood cells tend to be pretty much saturated when they leave the lungs, so that having a higher oxygen content in the lungs wouldn't contribute to more oxygen being delivered to the brain.

Of course, if I'm wrong about the red blood cells being pretty much saturated with oxygen, a method of causing them to become saturated with oxygen might be one way to help fuel the brain, if oxygen is a limiting reactant in mental processes.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Sisyphus on February 26th, 2011, 10:55 am 

If that's true, that we're already fully saturated, then maybe if we increase the amount of blood cells in our body and/or increase our blood flow to our brain while using the oxygen tank, it might work. Also, maybe there is a chemical that could carry more oxygen to the brain than blood can. If so, we could inject it or consume it like we do alcohol.
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Postby Lincoln on February 26th, 2011, 11:07 am 

It's a shame you've not aquired a coffee taste. When I have something that causes my head to spin (perhaps with shades of Einstein's "Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."), I find a pair of double espressos has a substantial focusing effect. The trick is to not use caffeine just to wake up in the morning. Plus to be already well rested so the caffeine is not trying to keep you awake. Under these circumstances, it sure seems like this regimen is worth 10 IQ points and a 30% improvement in focus.

Of course constant use creates an addiction and reduces the efficacy.

And while Mt. Dew has been my favorite drink for more years than the three of you have been alive, I never found it to bring the clarity of thinking that coffee does (or espresso for us more genteel folks...)

Never tried any of these new fangled "energy drink" thingies.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Paralith on February 26th, 2011, 4:59 pm 

I am an inveterate coffee drinker - I just enjoy it, even when I don't particularly need stimulation.

My fiance swears by water. When he's doing long hard hours at work, he keeps extra hydrated. (Programmer.)
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Sisyphus on February 26th, 2011, 6:03 pm 

Sisyphus
Resident Member

Postby Lincoln on February 26th, 2011, 6:13 pm 

Paralith wrote:When he's doing long hard hours at work, he keeps extra hydrated. (Programmer.)

I thought programmers lived on Cheetos and Mt. Dew....
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Paralith on February 26th, 2011, 6:22 pm 

I dunno, that stuff NoDoz kind of scares me. Which may be hypocritical coming from a pot-and-a-half-a-day coffee drinker....
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby Paralith on February 26th, 2011, 6:22 pm 

Lincoln wrote:
Paralith wrote:When he's doing long hard hours at work, he keeps extra hydrated. (Programmer.)

I thought programmers lived on Cheetos and Mt. Dew....

Most of them, maybe. My man is smarter than that. ;)
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby Aldrich on March 1st, 2011, 8:50 am 

Yap I am in need of these kinds of the supplement's and if there is any data regarding this kind of then please share with us and let every one know about that knowledge...... Thanks allot....
Aldrich
Banned User

Postby Sisyphus on March 3rd, 2011, 7:47 pm 

Synthetic blood could carry more oxygen to the brain...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respirocyte
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Postby Charles miller on March 7th, 2011, 6:34 pm 

When first discovered Oxygen was considered an intoxicant. See the story "Dr Ox" by Jules Vern. Taking a higher O2 concentration than normal will have that effect.

Concentrated O2 is dangerous stuff. It can make a cotton sheet into an explosive. There is a reason "oxygen tents" are no longer used.

Caffeine works directly on cellular chemistry by tricking all the cells of you body to work twice as hard, burn twice the calories, produce roughly twice the energy ... until they exhaust themselves. I'm a caffeine user but the chemistry still scares me. This just can't be a good thing to do to your body.

The results are not in on the ADHD drugs. Generally they will interfere with sleep if taken by someone who does not need them. That in turn, will lead to poor judgment, visual hallucinations, and poor physical performance.
Charles miller

Postby CanadysPeak on March 7th, 2011, 7:50 pm 

Likewise, you do not want to significantly increase your red blood cell count in order to get more oxygen to things. That's a reasonably serious disease (polycythemia). If you're running 97 % SaO2 or above, you're good to go. Try 8 or more hours of sleep plus 8 glasses of water a day.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Charles miller on March 7th, 2011, 8:14 pm 

CanadysPeak wrote:Likewise, you do not want to significantly increase your red blood cell count in order to get more oxygen to things. That's a reasonably serious disease (polycythemia). If you're running 97 % SaO2 or above, you're good to go. Try 8 or more hours of sleep plus 8 glasses of water a day.

Agreed. Anyone know how that autotransfusion thing that athletes were doing a few years back worked out? Sports medicine is low on my list of interests but I know that a few Olympic games ago it was mentioned on TV. ( yes the Olympics are the only sports I watch)
Charles miller

Postby CanadysPeak on March 7th, 2011, 8:37 pm 

Charles miller wrote:
CanadysPeak wrote:Likewise, you do not want to significantly increase your red blood cell count in order to get more oxygen to things. That's a reasonably serious disease (polycythemia). If you're running 97 % SaO2 or above, you're good to go. Try 8 or more hours of sleep plus 8 glasses of water a day.

Agreed. Anyone know how that autotransfusion thing that athletes were doing a few years back worked out? Sports medicine is low on my list of interests but I know that a few Olympic games ago it was mentioned on TV. ( yes the Olympics are the only sports I watch)

Not so well.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2004/fe ... g.cycling1
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Charles miller on March 7th, 2011, 10:55 pm 

Yep that sure looks like negative results. Although the question of steroid use in the same population clouds the issue. Corticosteroids degrade the walls of hollow organs within the human body. The heart and the rest of the circulatory system are hollow organs.
Charles miller

Postby Sisyphus on March 7th, 2011, 11:41 pm 

I had another idea. What effect would electricity have on the brain if applied directly?
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Postby Charles miller on March 8th, 2011, 1:14 am 

Sisyphus wrote:I had another idea. What effect would electricity have on the brain if applied directly?

Look up electroshock therapy.
Charles miller

Postby Sisyphus on March 8th, 2011, 10:59 am 

I looked it up. It sounds like it might be right for me. It's probably expensive, though.
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Postby CanadysPeak on March 8th, 2011, 1:52 pm 

Charles miller wrote:Yep that sure looks like negative results. Although the question of steroid use in the same population clouds the issue. Corticosteroids degrade the walls of hollow organs within the human body. The heart and the rest of the circulatory system are hollow organs.

You can filter out steroids by only looking at athletes who train at high altitudes and those who tried "blood packing". Same results
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Paralith on March 8th, 2011, 2:10 pm 

Sisyphus wrote:I looked it up. It sounds like it might be right for me. It's probably expensive, though.

And dangerous! I have a family member who attempted to use it as therapy for depression and now he has short term memory loss. Goodness Sisy, are things that bad that you really think zapping your brain is going to be the answer?
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby Sisyphus on March 8th, 2011, 6:27 pm 

Well, I already have short-term memory loss, so that shouldn't be an issue. And yes, things are that bad. Aside from the memory loss, did it help his depression?
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on March 8th, 2011, 6:32 pm 

I don't know all the details, but things do not seem to be improving. Certainly not enough to be worth the cost.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby CanadysPeak on March 8th, 2011, 7:40 pm 

Paralith wrote:I don't know all the details, but things do not seem to be improving. Certainly not enough to be worth the cost.

Long ago, when the earth was young, I worked in a state mental hospital while attending school. They still used EST and I assisted once. It was not nice. It was better than nothing (maybe) before there were drugs, but so were lobotomies.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Sisyphus on March 8th, 2011, 10:16 pm 

I'll have to ask my doctor what he thinks.
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Postby CanadysPeak on March 9th, 2011, 11:41 am 

Sisyphus wrote:I'll have to ask my doctor what he thinks.

Dude,
When the doc recommended est, he meant Erhart Seminars Training (rent Semi-Tough, if you don't know).
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby loganleon on October 31st, 2013, 12:53 am 

I think taking beverages is not the right thing to enhance your memory it only best for sometimes and harmful for long time. I only believe in that products or supplements which have great memory boosting power but without any side effect. I use that type of memory enhancer pills for 2 years which is truly natural and contains Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) herb. It is very useful to remove anxiety,stress and gastric ulcers. It improves my learning capacity and works as cardiotonic for my body. I feel really confident after getting its results and recommend other also. For more details see this link here:
http://www.ayurvediccure.com/natural-supplement/memory-enhancer/
loganleon
Forum Neophyte

Next

Return to Health and Nutrition