ADHD in adults w/out conventional meds?

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

ADHD in adults w/out conventional meds?

Postby Ms.T on October 15th, 2014, 9:01 am 

Hello all! My first time here. I am interested in knowing more regarding specifically adult ADHD. I get medicine, but due to stress, my medicine usually makes me stress even more. I have a hard time w/jobs, live in a podunk little town in the deeeeep south and there are no prospects available right now. I have tons of experience in food/ hospitality industry, but have been forced to slave for min. wage at an awful FF restaurant, ran by a bunch of unorganized, (hate to put it this way) not so bright people. I am looking for better work venues, but I have to get it together. I need coping strategies and technique...( Also supplementation and the right diet). I have Celiac Disease and I know that when I accidentally ingest ANY gluten, my mind and body gets totally scrambled. Any thoughts?
Ms.T
Forum Neophyte

Re: ADHD in adults w/out conventional meds?

Postby Braininvat on October 15th, 2014, 12:31 pm 

Celiac is a wild ride. I've done some nutritional counseling in the past, when doing general counseling work with people in group homes. Keeping hands off gluten while working in a FF place sounds like a challenge right there. And some "gluten-free" grains really aren't, as they have components that are quite similar to gluten. I've heard nutritionists (more expert than I) say that you are really better off just avoiding all grains, and sticking with tubers, tapioca starch, soy flour, and rice.

If you are getting stress reactions from your medication for ADHD, I would definitely tell the doctor and if he/she is not responsive on the matter, get another doctor! And your doctor should be hooking you up with resources for coping strategies and techniques for dealing with the ADHD. Whether you are in Podunk or in the big city, you should look for a workplace that is not "unorganized" - for someone with ADHD, such an environment can be pretty toxic. I had a relative with some ADHD and he finally found a job at a pharmacy chain where things were very organized and procedures clearly explained and the manager ran a tight ship. Just being part of that was a hugely rewarding experience for this person.

This is your life. Treat it with respect and don't settle for working in a place you find awful. Moving might be stressful for a while, but working in a sh--hole 40 hours a week is going to be far worse and provide chronic stress if you are mismatched with the job and style of management. Many ADHD people are quite creative - don't be afraid to go out on a limb and do some brainstorming as to how you might find a better niche.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Re: ADHD in adults w/out conventional meds?

Postby Ms.T on October 16th, 2014, 11:45 pm 

Braininvat: Thank you for sending me the info, and good vibes. I have to get more creative and find a place to work I do not dread. I am looking, believe me! I did not know about the other grains! I have studied Celiac and I have never seen that mentioned, but have noticed a trend in people avoiding grain. Now I know. Thanks.
Ms.T
Forum Neophyte

Return to Health and Nutrition