people food pets shouldn't eat

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

people food pets shouldn't eat

Postby Braininvat on November 21st, 2014, 11:20 am 

Braininvat
Resident Member

Natural ChemE liked this post

Re: people food pets shouldn't eat

Postby Watson on November 21st, 2014, 12:46 pm 

How about people food people shouldn't eat.

https://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcui ... oClJ3w_wcB
Last edited by Watson on November 21st, 2014, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on November 21st, 2014, 1:05 pm 

LOL. Sadly, some of the people foods listed (chocolate, bread dough and milk) happen to be foods that no longer like me. They are right about dogs, it's definitely "eat first, ask questions later." That used to be my approach. Those were the days...
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby tantric on September 18th, 2015, 3:17 am 

i litterbox trained my beloved ferret Ahimsa Dharma using raisins. ferrets adore raisins (and bananas and peanut butter) and having a tin of raisin on the table above the litterbox was very easy. alas, ferrets don't train like dogs. there comes a point when you're supposed to be able to discontinue the reward and the behavior sticks. when i tried that with Ahimsa, she walked to the litterbox, stopped just in front of it, pooed then sat there looking at me with recrimination in her beady little eyes. fine, back to the reward. then she taught herself a new trick - she would go in the box and fake pooing. i kid you not. i had a mantra, "nothing comes out your butt, nothing goes in your mouth". so it was raisins forever - if i was asleep and she pooed, she'd climb up and on the bed, onto my chest and get nose to nose with me until i woke up (and screamed in terror).

the point? she died of malignant insulinoma at five years of age. most ferrets die of either that or adrenoma, but i can't help but feel like all the extra sugar played a part in it.

miss you baby, i know you're in the Bardo (the buddhist path to the afterlife is through a tunnel, a thing all ferrets adore) waiting for me, doing the weasel war dance to the vast amusement of the bodhisattvas.
tantric

Braininvatwolfhnd liked this post

Postby Watson on September 18th, 2015, 3:27 am 

she walked to the litterbox, stopped just in front of it, pooed then sat there looking at me with recrimination in her beady little eyes. fine, back to the reward. then she taught herself a new trick - she would go in the box and fake pooing.

Haha, who being trained??
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Darby on September 18th, 2015, 7:18 am 

Watson » September 18th, 2015, 3:27 am wrote:
she walked to the litterbox, stopped just in front of it, pooed then sat there looking at me with recrimination in her beady little eyes. fine, back to the reward. then she taught herself a new trick - she would go in the box and fake pooing.

Haha, who being trained??

Indeed ... sounds like reverse Stockholm Syndrome to me. ;-)
Darby

Postby Darby on September 18th, 2015, 7:19 am 

I can add one to the list ... homebrewers take note: the hops used in beer are highly toxic to Dogs.
Darby

Postby Natural ChemE on September 18th, 2015, 7:35 am 

My kittens love lactose-free milk. You can buy it at most grocery stores since a lot of folks have lactose intolerance (fun fact: it's the norm in Asia). Fairlife's my favorite, though the kittens seem good with any sort of milk (lactose or not; just they'll get sick afterward if it does have lactose).

It's really not a bad deal, either; about twice the price of normal milk by volume, but one cartoon of it lasts forever as the little kittens are literally about a hundred times smaller than I am.

Or only about fifty times smaller now, I guess.. but they're still always gonna be my babies.

Their water's in one of those little fountains,
    Image,
which I now kinda want to try filling with milk. 'cept I'm pretty sure that neither the filter nor the pump would work well with it.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Darby on September 18th, 2015, 8:22 am 

... or pet food people shouldn't eat.

... probably shouldnt eat corpse maggots either (that's me on PS4)

... ok, ok, I'm back on topic. Couldn't resist.
Darby

Postby Braininvat on September 18th, 2015, 1:23 pm 

Natchem: you are feeding kittens lactose-free cow's milk? I had heard that cow's milk, lactose-free or not, gives cats kidney stones. Our vet always warned against it.

I like the flavor of lactose-free milk, partly because it is usually ultrapasteurized. That means a higher cook temperature and some of the sugar (which the lactase enzyme they add has started to carve up) starts to caramelize, giving a different flavor.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Watson on September 18th, 2015, 1:25 pm 

I have heard milk is not good for any of us.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on September 18th, 2015, 1:28 pm 

Tantric, I can say with absolute certainty that your anecdote was the best and funniest ferret/raisin/poo anecdote I have ever heard. The Buddhist element made me want to derive some kind of zen koan from your experience, like "What is the sound of one ferret not-pooping?" but clearly it needs work.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Darby on September 18th, 2015, 2:31 pm 

Watson » September 18th, 2015, 1:25 pm wrote:I have heard milk is not good for any of us.

That's mostly only true for people who are either lactose intolerant, milk protein intolerant, or who must be on low-mucus diets for varied and complex GI reasons.

BTW, statistical tidbit: due to many generations of positive selection & farming tradition, lactose intolerance here in the west is only around 5-10%, but in many countries like parts of Africa and Asia that have little or no dairy tradition, intolerance rates run as high as 90%. Some people in those regions find the concept of cheese (read: fermented coagulated milk) as alien as some of us find fish sauce (read: fermented raw fish), or eating bugs/grubs.
Darby

Postby Watson on September 25th, 2015, 12:57 pm 

I just googled 'health effects of dairy' and got a lot of sites pop up. And they all seem negative on milk. The link below has a video, that will read the article to you.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/06/24/dair ... l-costs-2/

http://nutritionstudies.org/12-frightening-facts-milk/
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on September 25th, 2015, 1:37 pm 

The first link seems fairly good, a doctor at Cleveland Clinic who seems to have researched thoroughly in this nutritional area. I avoid dairy, and have felt so. much. better. Italian cheeses don't bother me much, though, when applied lightly. (if I ever have to give them up, bring the horse nembutal, pick, and shovel, because I'll be ready to go...) OTOH, my spouse (of German and English descent) always seems to do fine with lots of milk, though I notice hay fever season hits her pretty hard, lots of mucus and sneezing. The tricky part of researching is finding studies that are completely independently funded, i.e. NOT by the dairy industry or receiving any indirect support from the dairy industry. Dr. Hyman seems to have found reliable sources.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Watson on September 25th, 2015, 2:30 pm 

Money does push agenda of whatever industry it works for.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on September 25th, 2015, 3:34 pm 

Braininvat » September 25th, 2015, 12:37 pm wrote:The first link seems fairly good, a doctor at Cleveland Clinic who seems to have researched thoroughly in this nutritional area. I avoid dairy, and have felt so. much. better. Italian cheeses don't bother me much, though, when applied lightly. (if I ever have to give them up, bring the horse nembutal, pick, and shovel, because I'll be ready to go...) OTOH, my spouse (of German and English descent) always seems to do fine with lots of milk, though I notice hay fever season hits her pretty hard, lots of mucus and sneezing. The tricky part of researching is finding studies that are completely independently funded, i.e. NOT by the dairy industry or receiving any indirect support from the dairy industry. Dr. Hyman seems to have found reliable sources.

The tricky part is finding studies that agree with what I want to eat.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Health and Nutrition