Keep working

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Keep working

Postby vivian maxine on April 17th, 2015, 8:20 am 

Good grief! You work hard all your life. You look forward to retirement and taking it easy. Then they tell you you have to keep working to stay healthy! :-(

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... ceDaily%29
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Keep working

Postby Braininvat on April 17th, 2015, 9:20 am 

It's not work if you learn to enjoy the activity. Though it may be hard to apply the classic "do what you love and you won't work another day the rest of your life" to cleaning the toilet. Housework seems to have some duties that remain chores, no matter how you try to spin them. But I agree with the findings that they do give a sense of wellbeing...seems like science catching up with the obvious. I do tasks that seem to be as good as Pilates or yoga for overall physical tuning - the fact that such motions are purposeful often gets me to persist in a way that's harder to do with calisthenics, stretches, etc. (Downward Dog, and The Plow, however are wondrous in their benefits...)
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on April 17th, 2015, 9:55 am 

Braininvat » April 17th, 2015, 8:20 am wrote:It's not work if you learn to enjoy the activity. Though it may be hard to apply the classic "do what you love and you won't work another day the rest of your life" to cleaning the toilet. Housework seems to have some duties that remain chores, no matter how you try to spin them. But I agree with the findings that they do give a sense of wellbeing...seems like science catching up with the obvious. I do tasks that seem to be as good as Pilates or yoga for overall physical tuning - the fact that such motions are purposeful often gets me to persist in a way that's harder to do with calisthenics, stretches, etc. (Downward Dog, and The Plow, however are wondrous in their benefits...)

Feeling philosophical today, are we? :-) Seriously, though, you and they are right. And I used to truly enjoy housecleaning. Best was sitting down and admiring the results afterward but I did enjoy the work. I pretty much did spring cleaning every Saturday. And that was when we waxed floors and polished wood with real furniture polish. Now I'm tired. What is more fun is taking a walk around the block and meditating.

Ah well, as long as I can walk and talk. Especially talk. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Eclogite on April 17th, 2015, 11:00 am 

I should have retired two years ago. I don't see the point of it. I like work. And it generally pays better than not working. (Also, it means I have an excuse for not doing much housekeeping.)
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on April 17th, 2015, 11:06 am 

Eclogite » April 17th, 2015, 10:00 am wrote:I should have retired two years ago. I don't see the point of it. I like work. And it generally pays better than not working. (Also, it means I have an excuse for not doing much housekeeping.)

That works. My excuse for not cooking. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby shmengie on April 17th, 2015, 11:42 am 

Exercise promotes healthy body function, all the way around. Reduced exercise in daily routines, often accompany retirement, which correlates statistically with reduced health.
Last edited by shmengie on April 17th, 2015, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmengie
Forum Neophyte

Postby vivian maxine on April 17th, 2015, 12:18 pm 

But what's the good of scrubbing the kitchen every week just so you'll live longer to scrub the kitchen every week again? :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on April 17th, 2015, 2:00 pm 

manufacturing reasons to raise the retirement age for Social Security?
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on April 17th, 2015, 2:11 pm 

mtbturtle » April 17th, 2015, 1:00 pm wrote:manufacturing reasons to raise the retirement age for Social Security?

Perhaps but seems they were mainly telling us to keep cleaning the house. As a friend said when she saw the article: "What do they think women have been doing all these years?"

While I have to agree that it really is good exercise, it surely is disheartening to know we were not built to sit down and just dream. Hmmm? Maybe the old rocking chair was a good idea. That is exercise, too, isn't it?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Health and Nutrition