Latin

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Latin

Postby vivian maxine on April 26th, 2015, 2:05 pm 

In connection with Watson's post but not quite the same - a friend and I were wondering: Do medical students still have to learn Latin?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Latin

Postby someguy1 on April 26th, 2015, 5:44 pm 

I have no idea about the med studens. I'm currently learning Spanish and it seems very similar. For example Veni vidi vici. When the verb form uniquely specifies the subject, you don't need to include the subject. So I wish I'd studied Latin in school.
someguy1

Postby Eclogite on April 27th, 2015, 5:12 am 

Since my alma mater, the University of Glasgow, was founded in 1451 and its medical school dates from the seventeenth century I suspect if anywhere still requires Latin it would be there. Here are the published entry requirements:

A-levels
Standard academic entry requirements: AAA.
Minimum academic entry requirements: N/A.
Other mandatory requirements: Must include Chemistry and one of Maths, Physics or Biology. All must be AAA in three A2 examinations at one sitting. General Studies and Critical Thinking are not acceptable as third subjects. If Biology is not studied at A2 level, it must have been taken at AS level and a Grade A is required. Biology and Human Biology are considered equal subjects. Maths and Further Maths are NOT considered as separate subjects at A-level. A GCSE pass in English at Grade B is required.

As you can see there is no mention of Latin. However, as you might imagine, the English language requirement could be a major challenge for any natives of Glasgow.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on April 27th, 2015, 7:18 am 

Thank you and, yes, English would have been a challenge in itself. We were wondering about the Latin and its connection to all the medicine names that are - in the generic at least - in Latin.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby shmengie on April 27th, 2015, 8:26 pm 

English, French, Spanish and German, probably a few more languages are derived from Latin, no?

You already know some Latin. Ppl who coin words often construct _new_ words from a Latin basis. It eases deconstruciton for other ppl. -- not a rule, but often a matter of (new) facts. ;)
shmengie
Forum Neophyte

Return to Health and Nutrition