Wet Cement ingestion?

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Wet Cement ingestion?

Postby panther12 on October 8th, 2015, 3:44 pm 

What would happen if you accidentally ingest wet cement?

MSDS for portland cement says that small amount won't hurt, stomach acid would break down cement?

How much do they mean by, small amount in mililitres? 5-10 ml? or less?
panther12
Forum Neophyte

Re: Wet Cement ingestion?

Postby Natural ChemE on October 8th, 2015, 3:52 pm 

panther12,

Welcome to the forums! Just to sort a bit, I'll move this thread to the Health forum.

Portland cement, Wikipedia, has some info. In general, if you're concerned about accidental ingestion, you may wish to call Poison Control for advice.

For a more academic perspective, I'd note that the major concern is likely specific solvents that a specific manufacturer might put into the cement. When it's wet, you want it to not be solid - so you can kinda keep it sorta-dissolved in different chemicals. Possible dissolving agents can be toxic, though it's often somewhat regulated (though obviously not with ingestion in mind).

And even when they are toxic, exactly what toxicity means can be a really complicated subject. Some toxins are only bad for ya if you have too much all at once, while others are harmful in even small amounts but only after many years post exposure (e.g. lead poisoning). Plus some stuff can be cause allergic reactions in some folks but not others, etc.

When it comes to something like cement, the trick's probably just to avoid eating it 'cause they generally produce it under the assumption that people won't be eating it.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Ursa Minimus on October 8th, 2015, 4:23 pm 

panther12,

The CDC has a guide with some info about cement in the workplace:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0521-rev.pdf

If you do ingest it, you might want to make sure the ER uses gastrointestinal endoscopy and not gastric lavage:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25797935

You should generally be far more concerned with the dust, because that will be far more likely to get into your body, and high/chronic exposure can have some nasty effects:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15448758 (not the greatest source, but easy to paste from the abstract)

Cement dust causes lung function impairment, chronic obstructive lung disease, restrictive lung disease, pneumoconiosis and carcinoma of the lungs, stomach and colon. Other studies have shown that cement dust may enter into the systemic circulation and thereby reach the essentially all the organs of body and affects the different tissues including heart, liver, spleen, bone, muscles and hairs and ultimately affecting their micro-structure and physiological performance.
Ursa Minimus

Postby Watson on October 8th, 2015, 4:56 pm 

Just don't get it on your feet. That to can cause serious respiratory problems.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.
Braininvat liked this post

Postby Braininvat on October 8th, 2015, 8:11 pm 

Watson » October 8th, 2015, 2:56 pm wrote:Just don't get it on your feet. That to can cause serious respiratory problems.

spit take!!

LOL
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on October 9th, 2015, 1:33 am 

I have worked with portland cement almost daily for over 20 years, weather permitting, and so far no serious problems but it is dangerous enough that I use a mask and gloves. Tuck pointing, slabs, etc.

This summer my wife and I built dozens of decorative urns, faces and blocks as a sort of hobby crafty sort of thing. What I find most annoying about cement is the way it gets on everything in the yard during the mixing process. It coats windows and other surfaces, with an almost invisible grit. If there is a way to keep it from becoming air born I have not found it.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Health and Nutrition