NewSci article re cancer drug that may reverse Parkinson's

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

NewSci article re cancer drug that may reverse Parkinson's

Postby Marshall on October 22nd, 2015, 3:58 pm 

People with Parkinson’s walk again after promising drug trial, New Scientist

Interesting, the article explains somewhat how the drug works---what it blocks etc.

Currently very expensive and still has to be proven in further tests.
Last edited by Natural ChemE on October 22nd, 2015, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link/image.
Marshall
Honored Member

Natural ChemE liked this post

Re: NewSci article re cancer drug that may reverse Parkinson

Postby mtbturtle on October 22nd, 2015, 4:24 pm 

missing link?
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Natural ChemE on October 22nd, 2015, 6:02 pm 

Marshall,

That's really wonderful news! I still remember seminars on how diseases like Parkinson's might become delayed long enough for the patient to die of something else before the disease appreciably progresses - but to actually reverse such a condition?

I haven't read over it in detail, but if it turns out to be credible and practical, hopefully future generations won't know much of it beyond this condition being yet another thing that their ancestors used to have to worry about before technology fixed it.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Marshall liked this post

Postby BioWizard on October 22nd, 2015, 6:08 pm 

Drug re-purposing/repositioning is going to be a very big deal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_repositioning

Compounds with good pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties are rare. And large portions of pathways are shared between all cells in the body. So a compound that can influence one cell type will likely influence others. And if a compound is already FDA approved, getting it to a clinical trial for a new indication becomes relatively easy. It's just a matter of developing the tools to efficiently figure out new uses for existing drugs. The NIH is certainly pushing in that direction.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)
Natural ChemE liked this post

Postby BioWizard on October 22nd, 2015, 6:11 pm 

Worth mentioning that drug repurposing wouldn't be the first choice for drug companies. But with so many blockbuster drugs running the patent clock, and so few coming in to take their place, this might be a lesser of two evils, and everyone is finally realizing it. Which I think is truly great.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby BioWizard on October 22nd, 2015, 7:09 pm 

Natural ChemE » 22 Oct 2015 05:02 pm wrote:Marshall,

That's really wonderful news! I still remember seminars on how diseases like Parkinson's might become delayed long enough for the patient to die of something else before the disease appreciably progresses - but to actually reverse such a condition?

I haven't read over it in detail, but if it turns out to be credible and practical, hopefully future generations won't know much of it beyond this condition being yet another thing that their ancestors used to have to worry about before technology fixed it.

Looks like that might be a viable scenario from whatever reading I managed to do on this before I left work. The data seems exciting and, apparently, long coming.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Return to Health and Nutrition