Vegetarians aren't healthier

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Re: Vegetarians aren't healthier

Postby vivian maxine on February 6th, 2016, 3:52 pm 

Well, the men can eat lima beans. I don't believe that story that it wouldn't work for women too.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 105350.htm
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Vegeratians aren't healthier

Postby Serpent on February 6th, 2016, 4:37 pm 

Braininvat » February 6th, 2016, 1:59 pm wrote:
That was Dubya's daddio who hated broccoli. George HW Bush.

Not a rancher, then?

I noticed an uptick in energy with a mostly-vegan diet, which I believe lies in the simple fact that I'm consuming a much wider range of vegetables and legumes. The uptick, however, plunges into a trough of fatigue and muscle cramps when I go full vegan, which symptoms match with those of protein shortage.

Two other common problems that may account for those symptoms are insufficient calcium ( which can be remedied by a portion of any milk product; I like delectable cheese, my SO eats yucky yogurt. Your potassium, lack of which is another common cause of muscle cramp, should be okay with beans and yams and the odd yellow squash.) and B12. Taking a multi vitamin, or B complex won't rectify this, since B12 is destroyed by stomach acid. My doctor is forcing me to take the ones you have to dissolve under your tongue... gahh!... so that it's absorbed through the mucus membranes.

But won't it be great when synthesized meat becomes widely accessible?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on February 6th, 2016, 4:47 pm 

Protein? Have a peanut butter lollipop. So easy. Just dip a tablespoon into the jar of peanut butter. Orange juice goes well with it if you like.

Leg cramps? Cut out the colas. It's an overbalance of phosphorus against calcium and potassium. The three have to be in balance and that is hard to do if we are Pepsiholics or colaholics.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Heavy_Water on May 4th, 2017, 7:11 pm 

Right on!! Eat that steak, amigo! LOL

As a lifelong athlete and fitness and nutrition freak, I've claimed forever that a vegetarian diet is in no way a guarantee of optimal health. Or even of good health. I've also claimed that an active athlete who can flourish on such a diet is rare.

I myself have gone veggie as I like to say, for weeks at a time. I've done this more than a few times. And each time I documented my performance in various sports, as well as my appearance and overall level of well being. And yes, I took time to prepare and eat very high quality vegetarian meals. I knew what I was doing, iow.

Guess what? Not once in those veggie periods did I improve in any way. I in fact declined in most measurable ways. Strength being the one area that always took a nosedive.

People are different. Some may do well not eating meat. But I believe we as a species began to thrive when we began bring carnivores. The meat and attendant fat and protein fed our brains, to put it in layman's terms. There is done compelling published, peer reviewed writings on this theory.

And, hey, are not the majority of vegans fairly insufferable boors? LOL.

Quick joke.........

How do ya tell if somebody is a vegan or vegetarian?

Don't worry....they'll tell you.

LOL

Cheers, mates.

Omnivores of da World Unite!!!!
Heavy_Water
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on May 5th, 2017, 8:15 am 

High_Water, (another of those surveys) I once read that meat-eaters are more aggressive than non-meat eaters. If true - notice the If - might it be why active sports would not be as successful in the latter? Or, strength not as strong? What really occurred to me when I read the survey is that maybe we'd have less war. Hmmmm?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on May 5th, 2017, 9:31 am 

A lot of food effects are coming from what we tell our very suggestible minds as we eat a certain food. Lots of placebo and nocebo effect going on. And one person's experience with meat abstention is what science calls anecdotal. Belief is a powerful force in our physical vitality. I have noticed it's hard to get enough protein on pure vegan diets, but anyone who adds in some eggs and dairy is likely getting more than the protein they require. And the excess is just excreted via extra work from the kidneys. Back in the 90s, IIRC, one of the world's noted powerlifter champions was a vegan. Just sayin'...
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

BioWizard liked this post

Postby zetreque on May 11th, 2017, 2:52 pm 

23andme has a new tool that takes the pool of your dna relatives then runs statistics on all the questions they have answered and I think it compares that to the whole population and tells you whether you are more or less likely to do different things based on family reported history. Yes there can be certain biases built into that method like if 23andme has advertised to customers of certain regions over others but it's still interesting stuff and can hint at subconscious indicators to our specific individual ancestry and evolution.

One of my results is

11% less likely to be a vegetarian

which matches my mom.

and my dad is 43% less likely to be a vegetarian.

As is typically the case from my experience, the results are eerily true :)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby BioWizard on May 11th, 2017, 7:27 pm 

Voodoo. But hey if you find it enteraining enough to want to pay for it (not to mention contribute your DNA), I won't judge. People have been paying fortune tellers for millenia.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on May 11th, 2017, 7:33 pm 

I am wondering, "less likely" than what? 43% less likely to be vegetarian than...? The average of all the samples?
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on May 11th, 2017, 7:35 pm 

Braininvat » Thu May 11, 2017 3:33 pm wrote:I am wondering, "less likely" than what? 43% less likely to be vegetarian than...? The average of all the samples?

I tried to find a more detailed citation on that particular report but couldn't. I assume less likely than either the ~1200 to DNA relative matches for myself or the entire pool of people who are part of the DNA relatives feature which I think is somewhere between 1 and 2 million.

It is possible they threw some actual genetics into this report though. It would be somewhat complicated but they could use the self reported data along with genetic data then do a comparison to my genetic data to weigh the results.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on May 11th, 2017, 9:52 pm 

They may as well be using dice for much of the report. Most genomics-based population correlation studies are cowshit, especially for attributes that are extremely susceptible to environmental and social conditions. Trying to find linear correlations with DNA is the laziest (both intellectually and effort wise) practice biology has ever produced. I hope this fashion passes before it erodes biomedical research further.

And nobody tell me machine learning is going to fix it - that's just taking the laziness to a whole new level :)
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on May 12th, 2017, 2:14 am 

Have you read or heard of the novel "Oryx and Crake" BioWizard?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on May 12th, 2017, 9:25 am 

Crake was one of the scariest mad scientists I've encountered in the SF genre. That is a very disturbing novel. There are two sequels, but I haven't been tempted to read them.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Health and Nutrition