Awe at living longer

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Awe at living longer

Postby zetreque on March 28th, 2016, 11:49 am 

Awe at this scientific study and live longer :)

An Upbeat Emotion That’s Surprisingly Good for You
By Gretchen Reynolds March 26, 2015 5:30 am
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/an-upbeat-emotion-thats-surprisingly-good-for-you/?_r=1
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25603133
The more frequently someone reported having felt awe-struck, the lower the IL-6.

I wonder if a follow up study could further do this kind of test in a field of science where people "awe" more often... such as astronomers? Look to see if they have greater life expectancy.

I also think about children. Children awe more as they are introduced to the world right? Can we go back to the awe of a child and increase our lifespan? :)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Awe at living longer

Postby neuro on April 1st, 2016, 10:14 am 

Actually, I was convinced that awe were life itself (i.e. what distinguishes living from merely surviving...)
neuro
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on April 1st, 2016, 11:45 am 

Forget about increasing lifespan. Just remember the awe you had as a child and reembrace it. Go play, let your imagination run wild and crawl under a table just for the hell of seeing what it looks like under there ( I actually do this everyday since last week although not in public. It is actaully fun!).
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on April 1st, 2016, 12:00 pm 

Big fan of awe, here. As are most SPCF members, I would guess. Generally, crawling under things (tables, caves - which we have lots of here in the Hills, old cellars and crawlspaces, thickets, bushes (in any sense), etc.) is a funpark for the brain. I remodel a very old house and sometimes find awe in crawling around in the ancient root cellar under the kitchen (it's separate from the main basement) and seeing the layers and layers of history there, the modifications made by past residents, the aging timbers, old animal nests, abandoned circuits and plumbing, lost tools and coins, etc. Abandoned farm/ranch houses are similarly inspiriing, if you can find them.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on April 1st, 2016, 1:48 pm 

Remember to check for gum under those tables or you will be awing at a new haircut. ;)

Actually I crawl under my desk all the time in the winter to sit by the heater. Always a good perspective down there. :D
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Dave_Oblad on April 1st, 2016, 5:26 pm 

Hi all,

Many years ago I worked at a company as an Engineer. We all had cubicles. Like the others mine had 4 sides about 5 feet high and an unobstructed doorway to the floor. I noticed someone was asking about my recent project as the Draftsman pointed towards my cubicle and the person stated heading my way. Since they had seen my head pop up, they knew I was in my cubicle.

I thought it would be funny if they found an empty cubicle when they arrived.. as there could be no escape from my cubicle that couldn't be easily seen. So I ducked under my table and hid.

Well.. they found me very quickly. I'm pretty sure they were in awe of my stupid behavior as I crawled out from under my desk.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Health and Nutrition