Another antibiotics story

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Another antibiotics story

Postby vivian maxine on March 15th, 2017, 10:18 am 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 150933.htm

We are feeding antibiotics to honey bees and the story isn't good. I wonder if this antibiotic is passed on into their honey.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Another antibiotics story

Postby bangstrom on March 16th, 2017, 2:18 am 

I wouldn’t be surprised if trace amounts of the antibiotic are passed on into the honey but I doubt that it is found in levels that could be harmful to humans. There are more likely sources of food-borne antibiotics such as those found in meat and milk from antibiotic treated animals.

Tetracycline is effective against bacteria known as ‘Gram positive’ and killing off the Gram positive bacteria allows Gram negative bacteria such as Serratia sp. to flourish. This is one of the many known adverse effects of the use of antibiotics reminding us that antibiotics should not be used without caution.

I noticed the article characterized Serratia as “a pathogenic bacterium that afflicts humans and other animals.” This is true but Serratia is one of the least pathogenic of the normal intestinal flora and nearly any of the otherwise ‘harmless’ or ‘beneficial’ bacteria can become pathogenic if given the opportunity such as when the natural balance of intestinal microbes is out of order.

Serratia was once considered to be totally harmless until an unfortunate incident when the US Army, in a secret test, sprayed San Francisco with the bacterium and caused an outbreak of Serratia related diseases.
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Sa ... 677623.php
bangstrom

vivian maxine liked this post

Re: Another antibiotics story

Postby vivian maxine on March 16th, 2017, 9:43 am 

Thank you, Bangstrom. Very helpful.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Health and Nutrition