Keeping Gwyneth Paltrow Away From Your Rectum

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Keeping Gwyneth Paltrow Away From Your Rectum

Postby Braininvat on January 9th, 2018, 1:23 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/09/gwyneth-paltrow-goop-coffee-enema-colonic-irrigation

Nice takedown of the whole pseudoscience of "detoxing" the colon from an OB/GYN who blogs in the interest of public safety.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Dave_C liked this post

Re: Keeping Gwyneth Paltrow Away From Your Rectum

Postby BadgerJelly on January 9th, 2018, 1:37 pm 

The whole poop thing is a legitimate force for health. I imagine some people would benefit in some way. I think this is generally a very shoddy and primitive form of treatment that probably has success due to what we now know about the benefits of fecal transplants and such?

I am speculating, not sure how colonic would kick-start the production of more healthy fecal matter?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 9th, 2018, 1:45 pm 

I am not interested or believe in enema's, there is no way in hell I would put coffee near there, but I have to say that that is the worst article I have ever read by The Gaurdian. It's more biased and written by someone who is emotional than informative or helpful.

I do know that the colon is extremely important to health though.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on January 9th, 2018, 1:52 pm 

I found it helpful, as I was unaware of how dangerous the procedure is. I just thought it was unpleasant. (not from personal experience, I hasten to add) :-)

What sort of bias do you think the physician brought to her article?
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on January 9th, 2018, 1:56 pm 

To me it sounds like the author has a personal problem with both Gwyneth and is grossed out by poop. It is also written with emotion and in a way to perhaps gain readership.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on January 9th, 2018, 2:02 pm 

Can't blame her for trying to get clicks, if she has a rational belief that public safety is at stake. She is a doctor who blogs on public health. I didn't feel that her dim view of Paltrow's "Goop" franchise kept her from making valid criticisms based on clinical research. Guess we will have to disagree on this.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on January 9th, 2018, 2:05 pm 

aha, this HAS been an ongoing emotionally charged battle between Jen and Gwyneth.

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/07/163302/gwyneth-paltrow-goop-doctors-response
July 13th 2017

Gwyneth Paltrow knows that plenty of people think Goop is silly. Namely, she knows that Jen Gunter, MD, an OB/GYN and a pain medicine physician, has had plenty to say about Goop, having previously debunked many of the wellness brand's claims.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on January 9th, 2018, 2:15 pm 

It's an ongoing drama between the two and looks rightly so. Gwyneth has some kooky ideas and probably gives the worst name possible to enema's.

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/06/161871/vagina-glitter-bomb-doctor-health-warning

I prefer to stay out of their drama. Though I'd be too afraid to do one myself I am interested in the science of enema's because many people swear by them.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on January 9th, 2018, 2:23 pm 

I swear when I see an unnecessary apostrophe.

I haven't clicked on the last link, but a phrase like "vagina glitter bomb" ensures I probably will. :-)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Dave_C on January 10th, 2018, 2:57 pm 

I would side with the author as well. Sounds like Gwyneth is not only a charlatan, but a dangerous one.
Dave_C

Postby someguy1 on January 10th, 2018, 9:12 pm 

Dave_C » January 10th, 2018, 12:57 pm wrote:I would side with the author as well. Sounds like Gwyneth is not only a charlatan, but a dangerous one.

#Oprah2020 has championed many pseudoscientific products as well. There's a bigger market for pseudoscience than there is for science.
someguy1

Postby zetreque on February 14th, 2018, 8:05 pm 

I have been trying to learn about intestinal parasites and there is a lot of questionable stuff in that world. Coffee enema's keep coming up with people claiming they work wonders, they helped saved their life, they help with Lyme disease, while others claim they get sick from them. I think this is dangerous because people can form an allergic antibody response to coffee.

Reading up on what on Earth "rope worms" are in the parasite world I stumbled onto this webpage which almost sounds like an April fools joke.
https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/nat ... ope-worms/
The first reference does not come close to backing up the claim made that was cited. The second reference is a paper about a hypothesis and the third reference is just to another website that lists typical symptoms that every website these days lists.

The 4th reference appears more worth looking at but also sounds like an April fools joke. I'd like to get some other opinions on it.
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1301/1301.0953.pdf
The main author seems to be a mechanical engineer that publishes on other topics including gravitational waves and the other authors are independent researchers that have written other papers on "rope worms". I looked up this particular parasite after reading a comment by a random person saying she passed one, felt "100% better" and wanting to know more about them.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on February 14th, 2018, 8:23 pm 

More to this story.
https://vimeo.com/user45029706
Interesting story and why you might see more people doing these enema's... If it's a gimmick it makes money, if people actually do start passing these things then the concept spreads.
at 15 minutes in he talks about trying to DNA sequence it to prove it's a newly discovered species of parasite.
https://vimeo.com/142966001

I also found someone who has the opinion that perhaps it's the mimosa pudica and enemas that are causing the intestinal lining to form mucous and shed into what people think are "rope worms." This process can also grab onto and eliminate other parasites if a person has them. That sounds like a plausible theory.

I think someone needs to step in and clear this up with some studies before the misinformation and facts get spun and twisted around into worms. Maybe the guy above will fully sequence it or in the process figure it out.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Health and Nutrition