Meat allergy - is shift in gut microbiota causative factor?

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Meat allergy - is shift in gut microbiota causative factor?

Postby TheVat on July 24th, 2018, 5:37 pm 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/maga ... eveal.html

Longish article, but worth it if you're interested in how our immune system works... And may be getting more "irritable." The key is a sugar found in most mammalian cells called "alpha gal. " Primates don't have the sugar.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Re: Meat allergy - is shift in gut microbiota causative fact

Postby zetreque on July 24th, 2018, 6:52 pm 

Cool article.

Dr. Maya R. Jerath, a professor of medicine at Washington University School of Medicine, in St. Louis, told me. “Maybe our paradigm is wrong.”

duh. The whole mainstream medical world is totally jacked right now.

And we are embracing all these GMOs and pesticides while dismissing the exponential rise in allergies, disease and anecdotal cases. I am such an anecdotal case and have tested repeatedly the delayed immune responses to certain foods as well as doing antibody testing.

The bit about ticks switching our immune system from IgG IgM response to IgE response.... My thoughts are that it depends on where in the body the threat is. Ticks introduce the threat directly to the blood stream or "newly" discovered skin organ and that might induce the IgE response.

That's the theory behind leaky gut causing food allergies. For example wheat gliadins weakening the intestinal wall allowing undigested food molecules and gut bacteria like LPS's to enter an area they are not supposed to be setting off immune system havoc. If the ticks are bypassing the digestion process then that's a similar mechanism.

It looks to me that the number one causes of all these problems right now are pesticides like glyphosate, antibiotics, and GMOs. We are living in one giant experiment of ignorance and as human guinea pigs. It's going to be very difficult to stay healthy for the next few decades until this research becomes more solid and mainstream. Meanwhile we are causing irreversible harm through extinction of the intestinal biota and non-gmo foods.

I would not believe this so firmly if I had not personally experienced this myself over the past several years.

For Lee Niegelsky, who had eaten hamburgers his entire life, the allergy forced him to constantly scrutinize his diet. You don’t realize how many foods have meat-derived products in them, he told me — especially in the South, where pork fat and bacon are widely used as flavoring — until you have to avoid meat for fear of passing out. Not long ago, for example, he fell ill after eating clam chowder, which he attributes to meat broth that he suspects was in the soup.

no kidding? Just think of all the people who can't even eat a crumb of wheat or other similar lectin. It's a nightmare taking place in a rapidly growing portion of the population.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on July 24th, 2018, 7:00 pm 

Like other mammals, South American monkeys produce alpha-gal. Only Old World monkeys and apes (and humans) have lost the ability to make the sugar. Hence scientists deduce that the change most likely happened after New and Old World primates diverged from each other around 40 million years ago.

Another explanation could be that we acquired the bacteria to produce it or we got it from our diets in a way that requires less energy expenditure. Why put energy into enzymes or a pathway that is no longer needed if we have a buddy doing it for us or get it naturally (becoming meat eaters)?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on July 24th, 2018, 9:07 pm 

zetreque » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:00 pm wrote:
Like other mammals, South American monkeys produce alpha-gal. Only Old World monkeys and apes (and humans) have lost the ability to make the sugar. Hence scientists deduce that the change most likely happened after New and Old World primates diverged from each other around 40 million years ago.

Another explanation could be that we acquired the bacteria to produce it or we got it from our diets in a way that requires less energy expenditure. Why put energy into enzymes or a pathway that is no longer needed if we have a buddy doing it for us or get it naturally (becoming meat eaters)?

I am curious if carnivores like cats, wolves, or scavengers produce alpha-gal but when I search all I get is this same research topic quoting the same source having to do with primates.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby TheVat on July 26th, 2018, 6:50 pm 

AFAICT, OW primates are the only mammalian suborder that doesn't produce alpha gal.

You raise a number of good paths for research on shift in microbiota. And how IgE response is activated.

Hope others look in on this thread. Science chat seems to be on a back burner here lately, with mostly vague philosophizing and physics crackpottery taking over. And I am disappointed at the new owner bringing in the animated ads (which can F my Android browser up) and ignoring emails.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Return to Health and Nutrition