freezing rain not snow

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

freezing rain not snow

Postby Athena on January 7th, 2017, 5:37 pm 

This is a funny question.

Why is it possible to have freezing rain instead of snow?
Athena

Re: freezing rain not snow

Postby zetreque on January 7th, 2017, 8:32 pm 

Athena » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:37 pm wrote:This is a funny question.

Why is it possible to have freezing rain instead of snow?

It has to do with dew point elevation,
adiabatic lapse rate, which is the temperature change as you change elevation,
and various other factors that determine weather.

Snow starts off when dust particles are nucleated high in the atmosphere.
Water first condenses onto the particles when temperature drops below dew point.

The elevation where temperature and dewpoint happens has a lot to do with what weather you will get.
It's been a couple years since I learned this in detail. There are some really great graphics out there. If I can find one again I will post it.

The warm air masses have a lot to do with this process because it's when warm damp air rises that it condenses to form either snow, or rain drops large enough to over take gravity and upcurrents from warm air rising.

If you really wanted to get detailed you would have to account for not only humidity of the air at different locations, but the less pressure as you go higher into the atmosphere.

What most people don't realize is that a lot of rain starts off as snow apparently. I'm assuming because it's easier to nucleate water onto particles at below freezing temperatures that occur high in the atmosphere where the dewpoint is usually reached. (someone should fact check me on this)

zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)
SciameriKen liked this post

Postby Athena on January 7th, 2017, 11:01 pm 

That explanation doesn't work for me. I am not understanding dew point?

I asked the question because we have had so much freezing weather, that made the trees beautiful unless the tree fell or broke. We had a lot of fallen and broken trees.

Then we had snow and it melted. Then this morning we had a lot of freezing rain and it built up everywhere. Hours later the freezing rain turned into snow. We have a large layer of frozen rain and a large layer of snow on top of that. What will melt the fastest?

It will get up to 40 degrees tonight, and I am praying by 5 a.m. I can drive on the roads. I am doing the early morning shift at a temporary homeless shelter. If these people had a place to stay that didn't depend on volunteers driving on the roads, I would not be driving! In part I am just curious about the frozen rain and in part I am trying to figure how dangerous it will be out there at 5 a.m..
Athena

Postby zetreque on January 7th, 2017, 11:03 pm 

I'm sorry that explanation didn't work for you but that's how it works. Good luck on your drive.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Athena on January 7th, 2017, 11:04 pm 

zetreque » January 7th, 2017, 9:03 pm wrote:I'm sorry that explanation didn't work for you but that's how it works. Good luck on your drive.

What is dew point?
Last edited by Athena on January 7th, 2017, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athena

Postby zetreque on January 7th, 2017, 11:07 pm 

Athena » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 pm wrote:
zetreque » January 7th, 2017, 9:03 pm wrote:I'm sorry that explanation didn't work for you but that's how it works. Good luck on your drive.

What is dew point?

When air temperature drops too much to hold the water in it and it condenses. The classic example is setting a glass of cool lemon aid out on a hot day. The water in the warm air condenses on the surface of the glass because it is colder and cools the air. That's dew point.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Athena on January 8th, 2017, 2:01 pm 

zetreque » January 7th, 2017, 9:07 pm wrote:
Athena » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 pm wrote:

What is dew point?

When air temperature drops too much to hold the water in it and it condenses. The classic example is setting a glass of cool lemon aid out on a hot day. The water in the warm air condenses on the surface of the glass because it is colder and cools the air. That's dew point.

Duh, I should have realized that. Thanks for coming back and patiently walking me through the steps. That is pretty amazing, how the water in the air condenses. Well, when it happens to cold drink it isn't that impressive, but what is happening to our environment gets my attention!

Our weather is more extreme than usual and because I am driving to the warming stations, it really matters to me. I want to know what I am getting myself into. And my daughter just spent about $600 on snow tires. That is a big expense, but it is important she be able to drive safely because she has to show up for work. It is one of those, someone has to be there, jobs and another volunteer can not just step in and do it.

I drove to a warming station this morning with no problem, but walking from the parking lot to my apartment was even more dangerous than driving! It got worse between time I left and when I returned home. This just isn't right, because it is morning and things should be getting better.

Our media attempted to explain to us what is happening.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/ ... y.html.csp

Freezing rain is created by a somewhat unusual set of circumstances. An upper level of relatively warm, moist air sends down rain that hits a level of very cold air that is hanging close to the ground.

As the rain passes through the cold air, it doesn’t have time to turn into snow or sleet, and instead freezes when it hits the very cold surfaces of trees, power lines, houses and roads.

What confuses me is it seems to be frozen into balls before it touches anything? You can see the balls before they become a blanket of ice, and we are getting more ice than the rest of the US.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/ ... s-snow-ice
Athena

Postby Dave_Oblad on January 8th, 2017, 6:02 pm 

Hi all,

The most dramatic effect is found was when it snows, melts a bit during the day and freezes again at night.

Driving on Ice is almost suicidal. On a trip to Kentucky for a project, I spent the 1st night in a Hotel. Next day that parking lot was jammed with cars facing every which direction. I called to the job site and told them I refused to drive under such conditions. They sent out a truck with chains on the tires to pick me up.

On the way to work.. I saw accident after accident every few dozen feet on the highway. Cars all over the place facing every direction. A total mess. What were these people thinking?

Fortunately.. I live in SoCal, so my biggest issue is hydroplaning when it rains. Good tires helps a lot to channel the water.

Anyway, sorry if off topic, but I had to express this for those crazy folks out there.. lol. Getting to work isn't worth the price sometimes. I'm tired of employers with unconditional mandatory attendance. A few lawsuits might help wise them up.

Ok.. back to ya..

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby zetreque on January 8th, 2017, 6:45 pm 

Athena » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 am wrote:http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/ ... y.html.csp

Freezing rain is created by a somewhat unusual set of circumstances. An upper level of relatively warm, moist air sends down rain that hits a level of very cold air that is hanging close to the ground.

As the rain passes through the cold air, it doesn’t have time to turn into snow or sleet, and instead freezes when it hits the very cold surfaces of trees, power lines, houses and roads.

That's what the graphics in my post were meant to convey. A warm front will move into an area of cold air where the dewpoint is high up in the sky creating snow. The snow falls on the warm front, turns to rain, then when it's cold near the ground it starts to freeze again.

That's putting it as simple as possible but there is far more to it.

All combinations of this warm and cold air mixing is possible and that's why you get different weather conditions and what I was trying to express. It's a matter of air temperature, humidity, pressure, movement, and the elevation that you live at.

Adiabatic lapse rate = the natural rate of air temperature dropping as you get higher in elevation. Since cold air can't hold the water in it. When air rises and it gets colder, the water is squeezed out forming snow or rain. (If you notice the snow line when looking up at mountains, that's the normal area where the temperature drops to freezing based on going up in elevation, this snow line has been rising due to global warming which affects various species)

Another concept to know is how warm air or liquid rises. Since warm air rises, it cools, and therefore condenses the water out of it because it reaches dew point. The warm air rises, and condenses until it is cold enough to fall back down (convection).

I apologize if what I am writing is kind of jumping all over the place but hopefully that can help someone start to understand how the water cycle and weather works. It's really fascinating I think. :)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on January 8th, 2017, 6:46 pm 

I read somewhere that there is snow on the ground in 49 states now. Even Hawaii has snow, thanks to Mauna Kea. Miserably extended cold spell here, worst I've seen in years. Today's high of 25 F. was the warmest it's been in a week. It was -18 F. a few nights ago. We left our hot water tap dripping all night so the line wouldn't freeze. Rarely get freezing rain here, it's almost always snow. A friend in Phoenix said it was colder than usual there....and he had felt a little uncomfortable in his sandals and shorts. Haha.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on January 8th, 2017, 6:56 pm 

Athena » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 am wrote:
What confuses me is it seems to be frozen into balls before it touches anything? You can see the balls before they become a blanket of ice, and we are getting more ice than the rest of the US.

It all has to do with the temperature of air at different locations. If you are talking about hail (balls), it's probably snow that melted as it fell then froze again. Then depending on the ground temperature it will melt and refreeze. Perhaps the darker color of the ground absorbed just enough radiant heat to melt the already melted snow (balls) and then once that heat was used to melt the "balls" it then freezes.

Since everyone here is talking about local weather. Where I live we currently have flood warnings everywhere. It's unusually warm here (which has been scientifically predicted) and so we have a real mess on our hands at the moment of rain slush instead of snow (snow line has been migrating upwards). I say bring on the rain! Eventually the tourists and skiiers hopefully will realize that commuting one person with their BIG POS SUV's needs to stop.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on January 8th, 2017, 9:03 pm 

Dave_Oblad » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:02 pm wrote:Hi all,

The most dramatic effect is found was when it snows, melts a bit during the day and freezes again at night.

Driving on Ice is almost suicidal. On a trip to Kentucky for a project, I spent the 1st night in a Hotel. Next day that parking lot was jammed with cars facing every which direction. I called to the job site and told them I refused to drive under such conditions. They sent out a truck with chains on the tires to pick me up.

On the way to work.. I saw accident after accident every few dozen feet on the highway. Cars all over the place facing every direction. A total mess. What were these people thinking?

Fortunately.. I live in SoCal, so my biggest issue is hydroplaning when it rains. Good tires helps a lot to channel the water.

Anyway, sorry if off topic, but I had to express this for those crazy folks out there.. lol. Getting to work isn't worth the price sometimes. I'm tired of employers with unconditional mandatory attendance. A few lawsuits might help wise them up.

Ok.. back to ya..

Regards,

I am glad to hear that California is finally getting some rain! Man no joke about driving on ice - I turned onto a short street that was pure ice. Traveling only 5 MPH I applied my brakes early and sure enough slid right through the stop sign!
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on January 8th, 2017, 9:39 pm 

SciameriKen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:03 pm wrote:
I am glad to hear that California is finally getting some rain! Man no joke about driving on ice - I turned onto a short street that was pure ice. Traveling only 5 MPH I applied my brakes early and sure enough slid right through the stop sign!

Problem is, they built do many aqueducts to get rid of the water and keep the cities from flooding, now that there is a drought they don't want to get rid of all the water. lol
Humans created a situation where there is either too much water, or too little. So they finally get all this water, and it just runs out to sea.

For anyone that isn't in the west reading this. The problem with climate change and drought is that all the precipitation is coming in the form of rain more often than snow. Snow will stick around through the summer and melt slowly. That gives us a chance to use the water throughout the summer until the next winter. There are water projects now all over the west that realize we have to rethink our reservoirs and fire danger because the precipitation is coming as rain more often which doesn't last through the summer because the rivers carry it away (and even faster than ever because humans have straightened them). Thankfully California is also realizing the damage done by damning and creating reservoirs killing off the fish species that our fisheries rely on so that's considered as the systems get overhauled.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

SciameriKen liked this post

Postby Athena on January 13th, 2017, 2:35 pm 

Dave_Oblad » January 8th, 2017, 4:02 pm wrote:Hi all,

Ok.. back to ya..

Regards,

Gibran said we talk when we are not at peace with our thoughts, and surely, considering if something is worth risking our lives, will disturb our peace of mind. It would be great if we all had garages and the ability to put snow tires on our cars and take them off, or put on chains and remove them. Doing these things inside a dry space and being able to store tires and chains would be an upgrade for some of us. And sometimes it is not just our lives that matters, but the lives of others as well, so some of us take the risk even though we rather not, and then boy do we talk!

Fortunately, many of us can drive slowly on city streets and the worst that will happen is our cars will get badly dented. Pick a nice small city with few hills and few bridges.
Athena

Postby Athena on January 13th, 2017, 2:46 pm 

zetreque » January 8th, 2017, 4:56 pm wrote:
Athena » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 am wrote:

It all has to do with the temperature of air at different locations. If you are talking about hail (balls), it's probably snow that melted as it fell then froze again. Then depending on the ground temperature it will melt and refreeze. Perhaps the darker color of the ground absorbed just enough radiant heat to melt the already melted snow (balls) and then once that heat was used to melt the "balls" it then freezes.

Since everyone here is talking about local weather. Where I live we currently have flood warnings everywhere. It's unusually warm here (which has been scientifically predicted) and so we have a real mess on our hands at the moment of rain slush instead of snow (snow line has been migrating upwards). I say bring on the rain! Eventually the tourists and skiiers hopefully will realize that commuting one person with their BIG POS SUV's needs to stop.

Now that clears up my confusion! It had to be hail. I think I was just too alarmed and emotional to think clearly. I was so scared! We are freezing at night now, but our streets are dry. No more fear.

I took a bag of clothing into the shelter last night, and the clothes disappeared in a short time. It made me feel so good to see people enjoying the clothing. One woman left the pants she was wearing in the trash can, so I retrieved them and brought them home for washing. I have a couple of things to sew and take in tonight. If I were a millionaire, I would be taking in warm clothing every night. It is so much better to give than to receive because having more than enough is better than being needy.
Athena

Postby Athena on January 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm 

Braininvat » January 8th, 2017, 4:46 pm wrote:I read somewhere that there is snow on the ground in 49 states now. Even Hawaii has snow, thanks to Mauna Kea. Miserably extended cold spell here, worst I've seen in years. Today's high of 25 F. was the warmest it's been in a week. It was -18 F. a few nights ago. We left our hot water tap dripping all night so the line wouldn't freeze. Rarely get freezing rain here, it's almost always snow. A friend in Phoenix said it was colder than usual there....and he had felt a little uncomfortable in his sandals and shorts. Haha.

Yeah ha, ha. I love Pheonix, Arizona in the fall and winter, but not in the summer.

How about this, how about if we stopped talking about global warming and started talking about the coming ice age? Well, maybe with all the carbon in the air that is impossible, but aren't we overdue for an ice age?
Athena

Postby Athena on January 13th, 2017, 3:00 pm 

zetreque » January 8th, 2017, 7:39 pm wrote:
SciameriKen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:03 pm wrote:

Problem is, they built do many aqueducts to get rid of the water and keep the cities from flooding, now that there is a drought they don't want to get rid of all the water. lol
Humans created a situation where there is either too much water, or too little. So they finally get all this water, and it just runs out to sea.

For anyone that isn't in the west reading this. The problem with climate change and drought is that all the precipitation is coming in the form of rain more often than snow. Snow will stick around through the summer and melt slowly. That gives us a chance to use the water throughout the summer until the next winter. There are water projects now all over the west that realize we have to rethink our reservoirs and fire danger because the precipitation is coming as rain more often which doesn't last through the summer because the rivers carry it away (and even faster than ever because humans have straightened them). Thankfully California is also realizing the damage done by damning and creating reservoirs killing off the fish species that our fisheries rely on so that's considered as the systems get overhauled.

Yeah, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Isn't it fun to have all these problems to resolved?
Athena

Postby vivian maxine on January 13th, 2017, 5:02 pm 

Zetreque, I am wondering if all the people whom I see outside my window trying to scrape an inch of ice off their cars so they can go buy beer will appreciate that great explanation. Some have to go, of course, but not some I've seen. Even stores are closing.

Anyway, just commenting. Thanks for explaining dew point again. I've a friend who walks me through that every so often but it's hard to remember. I just check the humidity and that isn't always the best way.

Now if the sun would shine and turn the trees to crystal forms....!!!! You have seen that, Athena? Beautiful sight.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 13th, 2017, 5:16 pm 

Braininvat » January 8th, 2017, 5:46 pm wrote:I read somewhere that there is snow on the ground in 49 states now. Even Hawaii has snow, thanks to Mauna Kea. Miserably extended cold spell here, worst I've seen in years. Today's high of 25 F. was the warmest it's been in a week. It was -18 F. a few nights ago. We left our hot water tap dripping all night so the line wouldn't freeze. Rarely get freezing rain here, it's almost always snow. A friend in Phoenix said it was colder than usual there....and he had felt a little uncomfortable in his sandals and shorts. Haha.

Biv, are you saying that you didn't send us this ice-skating rink weather? Here I was blaming you again. Sorry about that. No snow on the ground here. There was last week but it's gone and now... just as Athena said about where she is .. ice.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 13th, 2017, 5:25 pm 

vivian maxine » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:02 pm wrote:Zetreque, I am wondering if all the people whom I see outside my window trying to scrape an inch of ice off their cars so they can go buy beer will appreciate that great explanation. Some have to go, of course, but not some I've seen. Even stores are closing.

Anyway, just commenting. Thanks for explaining dew point again. I've a friend who walks me through that every so often but it's hard to remember. I just check the humidity and that isn't always the best way.

Now if the sun would shine and turn the trees to crystal forms....!!!! You have seen that, Athena? Beautiful sight.

I used to get off work at half past midnight for several years. During and around winter season I, like most people, have to spend a very long time defrosting and scraping their windshield. I figured out that if a person can get his or her act together, he could figure out a plastic covering over the windshield. I used plastic garbage bag for a time that I cut to wrap. The time it takes to secure (from wind) the plastic is far less than waiting for your car to warm up and then waiting for the heater to defrost the window.

The great thing about it is from my experience. You just pull the plastic bag off the window and the frosty covering flakes right off. Then when you store it in your car it's not so bad. It's also easier on the windshield I imagine.

Another trick I learned is if you are dressed warm and don't mind the cold, just don't run the heater if it's not snowing or raining. If your window fogs up from your breath, use the heater set to cold and bring in outside air. By not warming up the inside of your vehicle. there is less of a change water will condense on your window after you park. If the car is clean and clear, not warming up the interior gives water less of a chance to condense and freeze on the outside.

The question here is how long and do we need to warm up our engines to optimism the life of the vehicle. I've read articles that say you don't really need to with the new vehicles out there. Since I only drive about a mile usually when coming and going, I don't really warm up my older vehicle that much. What I do is just drive very slow and easy which is almost no different from sitting in the parking lot idling anyway. Since we are talking about window defrosting, the engine is already warmed up by the time you even get heat to the heater to start defrosting.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on January 13th, 2017, 5:43 pm 

Someone out here had a huge piece of plywood over his windshield. I guess he is off to work now. Car is gone. When I read what all is closed here, can't imagine too many places where people have to go to work. Hospitals, of course, police and fire stations, absolutely necessary places. Even the grocery stores and malls are closed as well as most restaurants.

All stuff everyone has experienced before, I'm sure. Did you know they name these storms? Ours is being called "Jupiter". First I ever heard of naming an ice storm.

Athena, be careful out there at 5:00 AM. Still dark then. Can't always see what is coming up. That said, does your highway department salt the roads early? Most I know get that in just before rush hours start. Maybe you can get behind one of those trucks? But not too close. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 13th, 2017, 6:07 pm 

Bad idea getting behind a truck. I've seen them jackknife, splash water covering a windshield so bad you can't see with wipers going, and snow either falling off the top or ice ice chunks fly off the hood of the car in front, through the air, and smash the windshield of the car behind.

Best thing is getting behind a snow plow. Then you have an excuse to drive slow and you missed the worst of it. Getting behind a sand truck is good news for you, bad news for your car paint, finish and windows.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Braininvat liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on January 13th, 2017, 6:20 pm 

zetreque » January 13th, 2017, 5:07 pm wrote:Bad idea getting behind a truck. I've seen them jackknife, splash water covering a windshield so bad you can't see with wipers going, and snow either falling off the top or ice ice chunks fly off the hood of the car in front, through the air, and smash the windshield of the car behind.

Best thing is getting behind a snow plow. Then you have an excuse to drive slow and you missed the worst of it. Getting behind a sand truck is good news for you, bad news for your car paint, finish and windows.

Right. That's why I said not too close. But yes, snow plow or sand truck is what I was thinking. Cars may be expensive but driver's life is more important. Of course, there is the old bus station sign during WWII: "Is this trip necessary?"

Ice cycles hanging off my balcony railing. Ice sheet on my balcony floor. Sheets of ice on all the roofs. I am off to a good book about the Mongoliads. Everyone take care.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 14th, 2017, 12:12 am 

Well this is a new term for me. I have probably heard the term but never paid attention. WOW

FRAZIL ICE

PS: The "snow cone" near the middle of the video is kind of the frozen rain concept.

PPS: Meanwhile, congress plots to sell off our National Park lands to the private sector! Sigh...
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on January 14th, 2017, 9:40 am 

zetreque. back with a question, please? I think you described the freezing rain as a result of warm air moving into cold air. Actually, more than that but that's the part I want to ask about. Can it be just the opposite - cold air moving into warm air? I ask because of how/when ours moved in. For two days, our temperatures were in the 60s and 70s. Then there was a sudden drop to the 30s and freezing rain followed that.

Maybe a longer history would explain it? We had been having very cold temperatures until early this week. That's when it suddenly warmed up: 40s, 50s, 60s and by Wednesday, 70s. Thursday was delightful but freezing rain was already predicted. Thursday night, temperatures dropped back to 30s and rain moved in. So, either it took longer to create the freezing rain or it can also happen when cold air suddenly drops into warm air?

Can it do that? Thank you.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 14th, 2017, 9:49 pm 

Oh boy Vivian, You are really going to see how good my memory is aren't you? :)
That's one of the frustrating parts of learning is learning something really well in school, then if you don't keep up with it, you can lose it.

Since both cold and warm fronts exist (according to our weatherman), I'm pretty sure that can happen too. I can't remember if it's usually the warm front that overtakes the cold or cold overtakes warm.

zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on January 15th, 2017, 9:13 am 

One of the first bits of wisdom we glean as we age. We've forgotten half of what we learned from books and the other half is no longer true - may not have ever been. Discouraging, isn't it?

Anyway, I think I answered my own question with my second paragraph. Spent a lot of time on it yesterday. So, there's a thin layer of cold air high up there where moisture passes through so fast it does not get a chance to freeze. Then the warm air, of course, prevents freezing. But - and this is what I was missing when I posted my question - that warm air that we enjoyed for a couple of days did not have a chance to warm up the still very cold ground. Rain hit the ground and froze.

Does that sound good? So, if it freezes before it hits the ground (cold air mass), it is sleet. If it doesn't freeze until it hits a surface, it is freezing rain.

BTW, something you said far back there has had my memory struggling ever since. I'll not try to quote you. Just say that we had a weather forecast reporter who once explained moisture that froze in the cold air just above the ground but did a fast melt before it hit ground. She had a big, fancy word for it. You probably know it. I'll never remember it again.

Thanks for all the review. Did my brain good. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 15th, 2017, 11:30 pm 

How about this one? Eagle Popsicles?

https://medium.com/usfws/unusual-freeze-frame-frozen-fish-kill-a14c974db7e2#.icptypbnh

Kelly Preheim, a regular visitor to Lake Andes National Wildlife Refuge, explains the photo: "The lake levels were low due to drought. The fish kill was due to depleted oxygen. When thick ice (particularly if it gets covered with snow) forms on a lake's surface, it blocks out the sun, and the algae/plants don’t photosynthesize and produce oxygen, thus depleting oxygen levels. If the aquatic plants and algae subsequently die and decompose, this also uses oxygen, further depleting levels, so the fish essentially suffocate from lack of oxygen. The fish died and floated to the surface. When the weather turned even colder, the ice expanded pushing it toward the shore where it buckled and went vertical. or it may have been driven there by very strong winds. The thousands of frozen fish on the lake attracted hundreds of bald eagles, various gulls and American crows as they fed on the dead fish. It was quite a sight and it smelled very fishy out there for quite awhile."

While not the case for this instance, there are parts of the oceans around the pole that can reach a certain sub-zero supercooled temperature in a liquid state then flash into solid ice.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Environmental Science