The Last Thing We Needed to Hear

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

The Last Thing We Needed to Hear

Postby vivian maxine on March 6th, 2017, 11:41 am 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 091332.htm

Mineral Dust in our Lungs. Brake dust may cause more problems than blackened wheel covers. Metals from brakes and other automotive systems are emitted into the air as fine particles that could wreak havoc on respiratory health.

It isn't the first story of what metals on metals do to us. Electric can openers are said to shred fine particles of metal from can tops as cans are opened. Yet we survive.

All that said - and the article is good - what is the "blackened wheel covers" story? What are blackened wheel covers?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: The Last Thing We Needed to Hear

Postby zetreque on March 6th, 2017, 2:49 pm 

vivian maxine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:41 am wrote: What are blackened wheel covers?

Have you ever washed your car at home or the car wash and when you clean your rims they have a bunch of dust stuff on them? It's not usually black but reddish. That's break dust from the break pads. Break pads wear on the rotors.

Car mechanics would be at highest risk of exposure, followed by animals that live along windy mountain roads.

Of course they are talking about a reaction in the atmosphere that changes the particles so I wonder how it affects birds.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby vivian maxine on March 6th, 2017, 3:40 pm 

zetreque » March 6th, 2017, 1:49 pm wrote:
vivian maxine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:41 am wrote: What are blackened wheel covers?

Have you ever washed your car at home or the car wash and when you clean your rims they have a bunch of dust stuff on them? It's not usually black but reddish. That's break dust from the break pads. Break pads wear on the rotors.

Car mechanics would be at highest risk of exposure, followed by animals that live along windy mountain roads.

Of course they are talking about a reaction in the atmosphere that changes the particles so I wonder how it affects birds.

Thank you, zetreque, and what are blackened wheel covers? You don't mean the brake dust is that, do you?

Still, as I said, we do seem to survive. We always hear these dire (and true, of course) stories and yet here we are. Does give us something to think about, doesn't it?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on March 6th, 2017, 3:56 pm 

Vivian, We may still be here but our lives are slowly turning into less healthy ones. Doctors visits and health care costs go up. We are becoming a nation of patients not to mention all the psychological and social problems.

The author used "blackened wheel covers" which is a strange way to put it. I'm assuming the author is talking about hub caps and the break dust collecting on the hub caps. It's very apparent when you wash your car. It's not a very great way to say it because most of the cars these days seem to have rims without hub caps. Also as I alluded, it's not really a black color but more red color.

The break down of tire terminology is

Tires go on the rims and then you sometimes have hub caps aka wheel covers?. The entire assembly of tire rim and hub cap is then called a wheel.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on March 6th, 2017, 4:32 pm 

All right. I get it now. I do not have a car. So, can't investigate but I can imagine. I could go running my fingers over someone else's hub caps but you know what that would cause. :-)

You are right about the health issue. It just struck me how we manage to take all this and still be here. And every time they give us a way to protect ourselves from one thing, something else pops up. Can't go around worrying all the time.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on March 7th, 2017, 4:06 am 

Hi Viv,

Not long ago there was an uproar over Asbestos being used as insulation in homes and schools etc. Asbestos was tested to be carcinogenic and leads to cancer. This stuff is mostly left undisturbed in attics and not all that dangerous unless disturbed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos_abatement

Meanwhile, car brakes were are also made of this stuff. It grinds down into a powder and blown into the air by the wind when the car is moving. That's about a pound, per car, per year, of said carcinogenic dust.

How much squawking was heard over that?

Notice that Brake Manufacturers quietly replaced the Asbestos in car Brakes with another Material.. that I presume is less carcinogenic. The Red Dust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_pad#Materials

Funny that Schools etc had to expend so much money to replace attic insulation due to Asbestos content.. but no one went after the Brake Manufacturers. If such existed, it was kept quiet. So many lawsuits could have ruined the Automotive Industry.

That's how things work. Keep people focused on a minor threat to obscure a major threat.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby zetreque on March 7th, 2017, 9:59 am 

The strange thing is after you had posted this thread yesterday, we went over "secondary air pollutants" in class. Secondary being ones that have chemical reactions in the air that changed them to a toxin after being emitted from the source. I was going to mention this finding but didn't have an opening during lecture.

Dave, It's also typical for humans to patch problems with band aids rather than going after the root problem.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on March 7th, 2017, 10:30 am 

zetreque » March 7th, 2017, 8:59 am wrote:The strange thing is after you had posted this thread yesterday, we went over "secondary air pollutants" in class. Secondary being ones that have chemical reactions in the air that changed them to a toxin after being emitted from the source. I was going to mention this finding but didn't have an opening during lecture.

Dave, It's also typical for humans to patch problems with band aids rather than going after the root problem.

Zetreque, it is also typical of humans not to fix a problem until a tragedy has occurred due to the problem. How often have we seen that happen?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

zetreque liked this post

Postby zetreque on March 7th, 2017, 10:33 am 

It's going to take someone's death to happen before the county fixes the screw-up they created outside my house. I've brought it up at multiple town meetings now.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Environmental Science