people tree connection

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

people tree connection

Postby zetreque on May 11th, 2017, 5:20 am 

All the Trees Will Die, and Then So Will You
Adam Rogers Science Date of Publication: 05.09.17
https://www.wired.com/2017/05/trees-will-die-will/?linkId=37450892

Whether the mechanism is stress reduction, pollution reduction, or increased physical activity, somehow trees make a difference. The biophysics is less important than the epidemiology. In 2013 another researcher with the US Forest Service named Geoff Donovan took advantage of the fact that another beetle, the emerald ash borer, killed 100 million trees across 15 states in the US. Using statistical models to rule out the impacts of a whole bunch of other potentially confounding factors—race, education, income—Donovan’s team was able to connect illness with places that had ash borer infestations and concomitant loss in tree cover (which you can see in satellite imagery).

Donovan isn’t the only one on the case. A 2015 meta-analysis of the few studies that had tried to take up the issue showed that higher exposures to green space, even controlling for things like poverty and education level, indeed resulted in a statistically significant reduction in death from cardiovascular disease. Other outcomes, like higher-birthweight babies and lower rates of antidepressant prescriptions, have also shown up in the literature.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)
RoccoR liked this post

Re: people tree connection

Postby RoccoR on May 11th, 2017, 6:26 am 

RE: "people tree connection"
Adam Rogers Science Date of Publication: 05.09.17

→ zetreque, et al,

To be very honest, this is a case of first impression for me. These beetles, as a destructive influence, have not come to my notice; until now.

This species brings with it more than one pathogenic fungus (Fusarium euwallacea). I understand that there is some limited investigation being done by the Center for Invasive Species Research to determine what it is that certain trees have in common that repel these beetles.

I don't know how, but they have seemed to discover that solarizing and tarping infested wood is also a control measure for further infestation.

Most Respectfully,
R
RoccoR

zetreque liked this post

Re: people tree connection

Postby Heavy_Water on May 11th, 2017, 1:49 pm 

Wow..great post, Zet. Thank you.

And I personally don't doubt for a minute ANY of the importance the article claimed that trees--or any other sort of flora--have as far as the health of our planet and mankind are concerned. When a planet evolves with such a huge organic and native system in place, and said system is proven to be a crucial part of the entire planet's life cycle and climate and food source, I think it is safe to say that any significant denigration or injury to the system (our flora) is not a good thing. ANd can be potentially fatal.

I file this article with my thoughts and concerns about the rain forests. Millions of acres razed annually, with apparently little thought to the consequences. I think that many folks forget one thing that's so very important that we get from plants: medicine. A significant proportion of the medications we take are derived from plants. Or at least were originally discovered in them before being synthetically reproduced.

I also am of the belief that our planet evolved in such a way to where a cure for any known illness or disease can be found somewhere in our flora. So, yeah, who knows? Sitting atop some tree in a rain forest somewhere in South America is a cure for cancer. For obesity. Diabetes. Name it. The irony of mankind losing that in the name of "progress" is really depressing.

Cheers.
Heavy_Water
Banned User

Braininvat liked this post

Return to Environmental Science