Global warming/ Climate Change – what the heck is it?

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

Global warming/ Climate Change – what the heck is it?

Postby rajnz00 on October 1st, 2017, 5:11 am 

We are full of suggestions of how to “stop” “Climate Change”, but what exactly is it? Is it science or some gigantic scam to line the pockets of governments and control us with legislation? It seems to have replaced God as an explanation for everything.

Those scientific theories are best which, with very few assumptions, explain a lot and make predictions that later are proved to be true. Global warming on the other hand has encyclopaedias of assumptions and explains nothing definitely. It’s main prediction, that the temperatures should rise at a certain rate, have been shown to be “overstated”, (a euphemism for “wrong”), by a factor of 2 or 3. http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 54496.html

Why then has it become such a superstar of science?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Global warming, also referred to as climate change, is the observed century-scale rise in the average temperature of the Earth's climate system and its related effects.

But when we go to its references we come to one Justin Gillis, a New York Times reporter. We are getting our science from reporters? Anyway, let’s look at his “Short Answers to Hard Questions about Climate Change”

The issue can be overwhelming. (Yup) The science is complicated. Predictions about the fate of the planet carry endless caveats and asterisks. What??!!
We get it. Glad you do, but I don’t
So we’ve put together a list of quick answers to often-asked questions about climate change. This should give you a running start on understanding the problem. OK
1.How much is the planet warming up?
2 degrees is actually a significant amount. Doesn’t answer the question
2.How much trouble are we in?
For future generations, big trouble. No Sh*t?!
3.Is there anything I can do about climate change?
Fly less, drive less, waste less. What about Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio with their private jets and the people flying in by the hundreds to the conferences to “stop Global warming”?
5. Will reducing meat in my diet really help the climate?
Yes, beef especially. Whaat?? You crazy? Ok that does it I’m not wasting my time reading further. This is Wikipedia’s main source for the science.

The Global warming experts seem to be the likes of, Stevie Wonder, Beyoncé, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Leonardo Dicaprio and Pope Francis

IPCC, Climate Change 2013: Warming of the climate system is unequivocal (OK so?), and since the 1950s, many of the observed changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia (how the heck do you know? They overturned the Food Pyramid which was gospel for half a century).

Global Warming (with apologies to Jesus Christ, Superstar)

Every time I read about you I don't understand
Why you let the people get so out of hand
We'd have managed better if we had it planned
Now why'd you choose such a modern time and such a normal land?
If you'd come yesterday you could have warmed a whole nation
In 15 thousand BC were we still the causation?

Don't you get me wrong.... Don't you get me wrong.... Don't you get me wrong.... Don't you get me wrong.... Only want to know..... Only want to know..... Only want to know..... Only want to know oo.....

Climate Change, Climate Change… Who are you? What should we sacrifice?
Climate Change, Climate Change…. Who are you? Have you ever changed before?
Climate Change Superstar Do you think you're what they say you are?

Tell me what you think about your friends at the top
Now who'd you think besides yourself's the pick of the crop?
GR was it where it's at? Is it where you are?
Could Gravity move a mountain or was that just PR?
Do you mean for us to die like that? Was that a mistake or
Did you know our fiery death would be a record-breaker?

Don't you get me wrong.... Don't you get me wrong.... Don't you get me wrong.... Don't you get me wrong.... Only want to know..... Only want to know..... Only want to know..... Only want to know oo.....

Climate Change, Climate Change… Who are you? What should we sacrifice?
Climate Change, Climate Change…. Who are you? Have you ever changed before?
rajnz00

Re: Global warming/ Climate Change – what the heck is it?

Postby Braininvat on October 1st, 2017, 10:59 am 

The fact that celebrities align themselves with conservation initiatives is not in the slightest relevant or probative as regards the soundness of current scientific evidence for anthropogenic global warming.

I am locking this thread, for the simple reason that we have several climate change threads here, which thoroughly cite peer-reviewed research on climate change, and will help you get better informed than just reading an article in a popular magazine or newspaper. If you want to ask questions in one of those threads, please feel free to do so.

3 threads, to give you a sample of what's out there in the SCF forum....

http://www.sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=23&t=30620

(good links starting about halfway down first page, and then on from there)

http://www.sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=129&t=30118&hilit=global+warming

http://www.sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=129&t=29993&hilit=global+warming

....and this summary video that BioWizard posted....

http://www.sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=23&t=28511
Braininvat
Resident Member

Re: Global warming/ Climate Change – what the heck is it?

Postby zetreque on October 1st, 2017, 6:02 pm 

It's not as complicated as people make it out to be and yet it's more complicated than people's simple minds want to work on thinking about. Part of is is everyone trying to make money off of it, another part of it is people trying to deny is so they can make money off of pollution.

Someone can learn about it in a simple 10 minute chemistry class lecture or Earth Science lecture.

Greenhouse gasses are the size and configuration to trap heat energy that comes from the sun.
Storms, oceans, and atmospheric currents move heat away from the equator where the most sun hits to the poles.
When ice/snow melts it changes the reflectance absorbance of the Earth's surface. It also takes a hell of a lot of energy to melt ice.
Continental drift changes ocean currents over time that also is a factor.
The Earth's orbit around the sun has 3 major movements that are factors.

Is that so hard to understand? If a person doesn't care to learn those things then why bother even talking about it. They should just forget it and go back to not giving a shit about the planet or community they live on. That's how I see it at the moment because this conversation gets super old.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Return to Environmental Science