mass extinction

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

mass extinction

Postby Athena on September 11th, 2016, 5:07 pm 

This is an interesting explanation of the combination of things that lead to mass extinction and gave mammals a chance to live, but also warns us of the possibility of causing a mass extinction to happen again.

Catastrophe - The Permian Extinction
Athena
Banned User

zetreque liked this post

Re: mass extinction

Postby Braininvat on September 11th, 2016, 5:31 pm 

Narrated by Baldrick, Blackadder's dogsbody. Or that's how I tend to think of Tony Robinson. Will watch asap.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on September 11th, 2016, 7:39 pm 

Most important term in this "positive feedback".
Understanding positive and negative feedback systems is the key.

The Siberian Traps makes me think of the lava flows that have happened all over the western US relatively recently.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Athena on September 11th, 2016, 8:01 pm 

zetreque » September 11th, 2016, 5:39 pm wrote:Most important term in this "positive feedback".
Understanding positive and negative feedback systems is the key.

The Siberian Traps makes me think of the lava flows that have happened all over the western US relatively recently.

What has happened doesn't come close to what is threatening to happen, such as Yosemite exploding. We seem to have a few lava domes building. Small eruptions can do some damage but they are nothing like what Yosemite can do if it goes.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Athena on September 13th, 2016, 12:05 pm 

This video makes it clear the biggest problem is the exponential growth of humans and it is futile to try to solve all the problems except the increase in our numbers.

Athena
Banned User

Postby Clory on November 20th, 2016, 4:37 pm 

You know mass extinction is already happening right? Due to fact people eat meat and use fossil fuel. Also fishing and palm oil.
Clory
Forum Neophyte

Postby Eclogite on November 20th, 2016, 5:31 pm 

Several general observations:

1. Recent analysis has suggested that in terms of marine life the five major mass extinctions were less damaging than previously thought, but still serious. I'll try to locate the reference. I think it may have been in PNAS in October.

2. While there is no doubt that we are overpopulated, this is a problem that is solving itself. The problem facing our descendants in the 22nd century, unless we can extend healthy lifespans, will be underpopulation.

3. Our elimination of a substantial proportion of the variety in the biosphere should earn us a change in title from Top Predator to top Parasite.

4. While a mega-volcano eruption, such as Yellowstone would be immensely damaging it is, in geological terms, an instantaneous event. The Siberian Traps, the Deccan eruptions and the like, went on for millions of years.

I'm confident someone will disagree with at least one of those points.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Return to Environmental Science