Climate change

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

Climate change

Postby katie6 on December 29th, 2018, 10:45 pm 

Hello, I am looking for a climate scientist who can give me plain facts. I am trying to drum up interest in a grass roots movement with advertising but I don't want to put up incorrect information. Please would someone be willing to talk to me. Thank you for your time.
katie6
Forum Neophyte

Re: Climate change

Postby zetreque on December 29th, 2018, 11:00 pm 

katie6 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:Hello, I am looking for a climate scientist who can give me plain facts. I am trying to drum up interest in a grass roots movement with advertising but I don't want to put up incorrect information. Please would someone be willing to talk to me. Thank you for your time.

What you need is someone that is willing to answer your questions and provide their credentials. Preferably someone who has an advanced degree in earth science. Correct? Otherwise you are just going to get people looking up papers for you.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby katie6 on December 29th, 2018, 11:35 pm 

Correct, thank you. My plan is to have billboards with shocking facts like the religious right uses for prolife. However it also needs to be tied to a website with facts and an action plan. If I use facts I am not rock solid sure of then I can cause more harm than good. Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
katie6
Forum Neophyte

Postby Serpent on December 30th, 2018, 12:29 am 

Serpent
Resident Member

Postby katie6 on December 30th, 2018, 1:47 am 

Thank you.
katie6
Forum Neophyte

Postby TheVat on December 30th, 2018, 12:51 pm 

The IPCC website is probably one of the best assemblages of information on this.

https://www.ipcc.ch/

If you are serious about mastering this subject, for any project, you will need to look at their 2018 report. Good luck.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby bangstrom on December 30th, 2018, 1:14 pm 

katie6 » December 29th, 2018, 10:35 pm wrote: My plan is to have billboards with shocking facts like the religious right uses for prolife.

Beliefs not formed on the basis of fact are not dissuaded by facts. This is why facts don't work.
bangstrom

Postby katie6 on December 30th, 2018, 2:46 pm 

Quite true , but poison is being dripped everyday. Some leavening can not hurt.
katie6
Forum Neophyte

Postby TheVat on December 30th, 2018, 2:55 pm 

I like your optimism, something sorely needed now. And many people are uncertain what they can believe these days, and those people may be more open to any delivery system for solid evidence-backed facts.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on December 30th, 2018, 3:45 pm 

katie6 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:35 pm wrote:Correct, thank you. My plan is to have billboards with shocking facts like the religious right uses for prolife.

Please just don't use any LED type billboards for at least two environmental reasons and you might end up with people calling you a hypocrite.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby katie6 on December 30th, 2018, 3:48 pm 

LOL. The first time in my life I have been called an optimist. I am an old grandmother. My youngest grandchild will be 18 in 2030. Closer to desperation.
No LED. Just replace a few of those Jesus is coming and prolife boards
katie6
Forum Neophyte

zetreque liked this post

Postby Serpent on December 30th, 2018, 4:04 pm 

Pretty much anywhere you are, there is or soon will be some destructive manifestation of climate change.
If you choose your venue carefully and do a little research, you can make your billboards prophetic. Then suggest an action they can take: provide a link to information on an alternative energy source, or building style or food production. (I have a few of those, if you want them.)

THE DROUGHT IS COMING
fight climate change - url

NOTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH EXTINCTION
don't use coal - url

Like that, kind of?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Event Horizon on January 4th, 2019, 12:28 am 

It's too late to stop now. Mitigation is going to be a pressing concern.
At uni I read environmental biology and ecology.
We had to hold emissions at pre 1975 levels. Of course, nobody in industry gave a crap about that.
Have you heard of the "tipping point"? Well, it tipped. From here on in, its all downhill for planet Earth.
Maybe when humans are gone it might recover.
Event Horizon

Serpent liked this post

Postby BadgerJelly on January 4th, 2019, 11:30 am 

katie6 » December 30th, 2018, 11:35 am wrote:Correct, thank you. My plan is to have billboards with shocking facts like the religious right uses for prolife. However it also needs to be tied to a website with facts and an action plan. If I use facts I am not rock solid sure of then I can cause more harm than good. Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Won’t work. Your energy focused elsewhere would be much more constructive for human society imo.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm 

A more constrictive move would be to remove the existing billboards actually. Maybe change the county code. No one wants to see that garbage along the side of the road.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Environmental Science