Is aging inevitable?

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

Is aging inevitable?

Postby SciameriKen on May 19th, 2016, 5:07 pm 

Long but very interesting and entertaining read:
http://nautil.us/issue/36/aging/why-agi ... inevitable

Life is very interesting indeed and this is a good article to start another round of discussion on why we age :D
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: Is aging inevitable?

Postby chatonator on June 2nd, 2016, 11:13 pm 

I know the secret to immortality but It will kill you.

One of the things that makes cancerous cells cancerous is they tend to be immortal.
chatonator
Forum Neophyte

RootTOLBiosapien liked this post

Postby Biosapien on August 5th, 2016, 5:29 am 

Since our human body contains both mass and energy according to law of physics (both mass and energy cannot be created nor be destroyed only it can transform), everything in the planet and in the whole universe is immortal. The hard truth is we believe in death a lot rather than transformation or getting resurrected.
Biosapien

RootTOL liked this post

Postby neuro on August 5th, 2016, 7:06 am 

Possibly, you should look at life as a process.
Incredibly, complex as it is, it manages to proceed by continually changing while maintaining some constant features, through development, growth and adult life.
Anything strange that over many years the process may get impaired and gradually degenerate?

Physical-Evolutionary view:
Would an immortal species be able to win the "natural selection" game?
There would be an increasing competition for resources. But if nobody can die, this should mean that they should be able to survive (i.e. maintaining an internal order by using energy) without external energy input (not enough energy for all of them).
This violates both the first and the second principle of thermodynamics and any other reasonable physical laws...
neuro
Forum Moderator

BioWizard liked this post

Postby BioWizard on August 13th, 2016, 11:00 pm 

neuro » 05 Aug 2016 06:06 am wrote:Physical-Evolutionary view:
There would be an increasing competition for resources. But if nobody can die, this should mean that they should be able to survive (i.e. maintaining an internal order by using energy) without external energy input (not enough energy for all of them).
This violates both the first and the second principle of thermodynamics and any other reasonable physical laws...

Clear, concise, and complete neuro. Let's see if ScieAmeriken can finally wrap his head around it ;]
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on August 14th, 2016, 2:15 am 

Some thoughts.
Aging and death seem related and yet not related.
We have an adaptive immune system...
If we separate aging from immortality we can still die and natural selection can still take place.
If we think of our bodies as a system of symbiotic organisms, many of which are dying and being born in their own context. Clearly they can't be immortal because then we couldn't adapt to eating a different diet if our environment was to change (gut bacteria). That is if we define bacteria as living (with consciousness) and not just replicating with random mutations to fit the environment. So then we have to get into the definition of life...
They are living and dying according to their environment. Perhaps human "aging" as we know it is our environment changing around us slightly and not very apparent at a larger scale and context than gut bacteria. We are fragile and maybe we are more fragile than we realize.
That doesn't seem to be the answer either though. It seems like we should be able to be more resilient to aging if we had an ultra clean and healthy life with human-made environmentally controlled environments.
However, we didn't get to this point without birth and death of googles of life forms before us, and it's built into our structure. Going against that I think is possible though given our ability to create life altering technology. Not to the point of true immortality but more resilience. If we ever reach that point, it will be another moral issue like back when we first figured out we could do cloning, or possibly bring the woolly mammoth back.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby SciameriKen on January 5th, 2017, 11:26 pm 

BioWizard » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:00 am wrote:
neuro » 05 Aug 2016 06:06 am wrote:Physical-Evolutionary view:

Clear, concise, and complete neuro. Let's see if ScieAmeriken can finally wrap his head around it ;]

How'd this one escape my eye? :)

My opinion is the rules of this world you have created are unclear - if it is an immortal species then there would be no need for energy to survive and thus no need to compete. I would need clarification of what immortal means to you to wrap my head around it :D
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby bangstrom on January 6th, 2017, 6:31 am 

Here is a poem explaining reincarnation.

http://www.cowboypoetry.com/mcrae.htm#Rein
bangstrom

Postby BadgerJelly on January 6th, 2017, 7:25 am 

I'll age when I'm dead!
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Biology