Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby caters on September 15th, 2017, 11:53 pm 

I was thinking about the possible issues with breastfeeding and how the aliens on the generation ship are anti formula. So I think I have come up with a solution that doesn't involve any formula whatsoever.

Here are the potential issues with breastfeeding:

  • Low milk supply
  • Overproduction
  • Medical issue with the mom
  • Baby too premature
  • Mom just won't breastfeed

Of course, if the baby is too premature for direct nursing, then either IV nutrition or an NG tube would be given and if the NG tube is given, the mom can connect a breast pump to the NG tube and if an IV is given, the mom can pump breastmilk and store it.

Low milk supply could be corrected with either a lactogenic treatment(increased lactation) or supplemental breastmilk from donors.

A woman with an overproduction issue would be a great breastmilk donor.

Now, I was thinking that if none of these 3 previous issues is the problem, then depending on whether it is medical or personal, the mom should be treated differently but the baby should be treated the same.

The baby would either be:

  • Fed by a mom that is already breastfeeding
  • Fed by a young woman who has induced lactation

Or in WCS, fed by an alien who is lactating.

For women with a medical issue, lactation should be stopped as soon as possible. For those with a personal issue, they should donate breastmilk.

But is my reasoning about breastfeeding issues and how to solve them logical for a generation ship where the aliens are very anti formula? Or is there a fault in my logic somewhere?
caters
Member
 
Posts: 180
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby Braininvat on September 16th, 2017, 8:59 am 

YYYESSSS! A topic on which I have absolutely no expertise or skill set to offer insights! I will let the other resident boobs weigh in.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5768
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on September 16th, 2017, 10:37 am 

To be honest caters, I'm not sure what the question is exactly (maybe there are hints in other threads tha I have missed).
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby caters on September 16th, 2017, 11:40 am 

The question is whether or not there is any faulty logic in my reasoning given that there is no formula on the generation ship and the aliens are very anti-formula. So basically the feeding options are down to:

Direct nursing(most babies could do this and most moms probably will do this)
Pumping Mom's breastmilk into NG tube(for premies without much of a swallowing reflex but are developed enough that pneumonia is not as concerning)
IV(for babies that have to go into surgery or that are born with a defect in their digestive system or that are born too soon in the pregnancy for an NG tube to be of any use)
Bottle feeding Mom's own pumped milk(Most commonly, once it is safe to feed the baby breastmilk after surgery for most babies or growth in the case of premies)
Bottle feeding donor milk(a solution to the low milk supply issue)

But whatever way the baby gets fed, it is not with formula.
caters
Member
 
Posts: 180
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on September 16th, 2017, 12:06 pm 

Why are they "anti formula"?
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby Braininvat on September 16th, 2017, 12:50 pm 

They are West Coast aliens, sounds like.

Also, like the Vogons in Doug Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series, they are really bad poets, and hate that "formula" is so difficult to rhyme. Not as bad as "orange," but close.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5768
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills
BioWizard liked this post


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby caters on September 16th, 2017, 6:26 pm 

BioWizard » September 16th, 2017, 12:06 pm wrote:Why are they "anti formula"?


They are anti formula because they know the benefits of formula feeding do not outweigh the benefits of breastfeeding.

The only benefits of formula other than nutrition are that moms with medical or personal issues aren't forced to either breastfeed or put their baby up for adoption. And formula increases the risk of childhood obesity. Now, this could be countered by lots of UVB exposure to produce Vitamin D but that has a high sunburn risk, especially in those with pale skin that won't tan(like my skin, it is about as pale as you get it without pathology and all I get other than a sunburn are freckles).

The benefits of breastfeeding are enormous, both for baby and for mom. Here are those benefits:

Lowered risk of breast cancer in mom
Lowered risk of ovarian cancer in mom
Very strong bond forms
Lowered risk of infection in baby
Lowered risk of obesity in baby
Increased bone density in mom(now this, I don't understand. I mean breastmilk requires calcium to produce and the bones are where calcium blood levels are regulated by levels of parathyroid hormone, so shouldn't the bones be less dense)
Accelerated weight loss(burning up to 500 more calories daily just by breastfeeding(and breastmilk has 20 calories per ounce produced))
Better response to vaccines(so Guillan-Barre is less likely)
It's free(well, unless you count about 6 bottles, lots of bags, and a breast pump)
Always at optimal temperature
Always available
Better friendships with other moms

That is way more benefits than you would get from formula. Be it induced lactation or be it pregnancy and birth, the same benefits apply.
caters
Member
 
Posts: 180
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 18th, 2017, 4:45 pm 

caters » 16 Sep 2017 05:26 pm wrote:They are anti formula because they know the benefits of formula feeding do not outweigh the benefits of breastfeeding.


In that case, you'll be much better off creating a milk biosimilar using bioengineered human tissue. Much more efficient than harvesting milk from humans. More scalable and easier to QC too. If you've already mastered space travel and what not, this stuff should be fairly simple in comparison.

(which is the point I was leading to with my question)
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby mitchellmckain on October 23rd, 2017, 12:28 am 

BioWizard » October 18th, 2017, 3:45 pm wrote:In that case, you'll be much better off creating a milk biosimilar using bioengineered human tissue. Much more efficient than harvesting milk from humans. More scalable and easier to QC too.

I don't think so. Not only is this reinventing the wheel but a big part of the advantage of breast milk are the anti-bodies which are produced by living breathing whole human beings and not just breast tissue. I think this idea that high tech solutions are always better is weird. The truth is, it is hard to beat millions of years of evolution with mere technology, which is so hit or miss most of the time, it amounts to little more than just (dangerous) experimenting on human beings.

BioWizard » October 18th, 2017, 3:45 pm wrote: If you've already mastered space travel and what not, this stuff should be fairly simple in comparison.

What is that supposed to mean? Space travel is decades old and what you are talking about is not developed yet. A lot of space travel in science fiction is pure fantasy, according to which your statement amounts to saying something like, "if the moon is made of green cheese then the mountains of earth are made of rock candy."
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: 27 Oct 2016


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 23rd, 2017, 7:37 am 

mitchellmckain

I wight be able elaborate later if I get some time, but for now I’ll just say that we’ve been making antibodies in vitro for over 40 years. Bioengineering tissue is also close to becoming a mainstream field now. We have kidney tubules on a chip for drug testing. My group is working on creating an artificial kidney glomerulus using immortalized human cells. Between these two things we can hve a fully functional kidney organoid. There are also 3D printers that could print human tissue (one of my ex students is CEO of a company that produces such printers). Whatever you seem to think is futuristic Sci Fi is either near future, present, or even “decades old” technology.

Saying that we will be able to bioengineer milk-secreting tissue is not the stretch of the imagination you seem to think it is (with all the proteins, antibodies, vitamins, etc). Many if not all of the components of such a technology already exist. At this point it may very well be an R&D problem - not a conceptual question. Saying that it can’t be done because the technological readiness isn’t there (and you obviously don’t know enough about it) is an argument from ignorance. Saying that it can’t be done because you can’t imagine it being done would be an argument from self incredulity.

You sound heavier on the physical sciences. I’m guessing your knowledge of modern bioengineering, molecular biology, and biotechnology is relatively limited. That is perfectly OK. Though maybe you should read up a bit on what we can already do nowadays if this subject interests you.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 23rd, 2017, 8:05 am 

This here seems like a whole different topic and should probably be its own different thread, but in any case...

The truth is, it is hard to beat millions of years of evolution with mere technology, which is so hit or miss most of the time, it amounts to little more than just (dangerous) experimenting on human beings.


Can you say that to the millions upon millions of people whose lives have been saved by small-molecule drugs, engineered biologics, and - most recently - engineered cellular therapies? These people should have been dead long before they actually did. But apparently biomedical science turned out to be a lot more to them than “just (dangerous) experimenting on human beings.“

Also, if you think evolution comes up with the most efficient solution every time, it’s possible that you haven’t studied biology closely enough. You may want to check out the “Blind Watchmaker”. I’m not a huge fan of the author but the book gives a lot of good examples demonstrating that point. And its very accessible regardless of one’s background knowledge of biological sciences.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby mitchellmckain on October 23rd, 2017, 4:11 pm 

BioWizard » October 23rd, 2017, 6:37 am wrote:mitchellmckain

I wight be able elaborate later if I get some time, but for now I’ll just say that we’ve been making antibodies in vitro for over 40 years. Bioengineering tissue is also close to becoming a mainstream field now. We have kidney tubules on a chip for drug testing. My group is working on creating an artificial kidney glomerulus using immortalized human cells. Between these two things we can hve a fully functional kidney organoid. There are also 3D printers that could print human tissue (one of my ex students is CEO of a company that produces such printers). Whatever you seem to think is futuristic Sci Fi is either near future, present, or even “decades old” technology.

Saying that we will be able to bioengineer milk-secreting tissue is not the stretch of the imagination you seem to think it is (with all the proteins, antibodies, vitamins, etc). Many if not all of the components of such a technology already exist. At this point it may very well be an R&D problem - not a conceptual question. Saying that it can’t be done because the technological readiness isn’t there (and you obviously don’t know enough about it) is an argument from ignorance. Saying that it can’t be done because you can’t imagine it being done would be an argument from self incredulity.

You sound heavier on the physical sciences. I’m guessing your knowledge of modern bioengineering, molecular biology, and biotechnology is relatively limited. That is perfectly OK. Though maybe you should read up a bit on what we can already do nowadays if this subject interests you.


All of which has practically nothing to do with what I actually said.

You admit this hasn't been developed yet and I said NOTHING about whether this was in our reach or not. Nor did you clarify what you meant about space travel. Nor does your comment about the ABILITY to make antibodies (which I said nothing about) address the fact that in the human body we already have everything we need automatically producing what antibodies are needed. I completely fail to see how leaving this up to some stupid company or technicians to include all the right things is somehow better. That was my objection -- this weird idea that technology should be thought better than what is produced by evolution. It is a FACT that this kind of nonsense has killed lots of infants. Have you heard of the formula disaster in third world countries ignoring the simple fact that access to safe water is often lacking?

Frankly what technology is so much better for is a bunch of companies to make money off of people by creating bogus markets for things people don't really need and are often much much better without as they often find out when it is much much too late.
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: 27 Oct 2016


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 23rd, 2017, 4:59 pm 

First of all, please take a couple of deep breathes and try to relax - there's no need to get hysterical about a thought experiment.

mitchellmckain » 23 Oct 2017 03:11 pm wrote:All of which has practically nothing to do with what I actually said.


Believe it or not, you are correct. But that is only because I am trying to address the question in the OP, while you are going off on a rant about something entirely irrelevant. I'm still not sure what your exact issue is - maybe it's the unethical practices of the private sector, maybe it's the failures of government regulation, maybe it's personal frustrations, or maybe you're just unhinged. I don't know and it's not my job to know. The OP is asking for an efficient and sustainable way to generate breastmilk on an alien space ship traveling through space. You realize this is a hypothetical question about a fictional scenario, right? This isn't about changing what's in the milk carton in your fridge, OK? Please try to relax.

The OP proposed to pretty much farm human beings for breastmilk. I proposed to bioengineer the milk instead, because that would be more efficient, more sustainable, and more ethical than using humans as farm cows. Whatever it is in the milk, we can engineer biological tissue to produce the same components through rigorous R&D. For the antibodies that would be relevant to the spaceship, we would expose a culture of engineered B cells to pathogens and antigens that are available on the ship, isolate the antibodies they secrete, and add them to the milk to recreate the exact chemical solution that a human's breast would produce.

If the bioengineered milk contains precisely the same ingredients in breast milk (both organic and inorganic) at median proportions, then it IS breast milk for all chemical and biological purposes.

Are you able to leverage a scientific criticism against my proposal that does not involve irrelevant ranting about history and politics? And as you do that, remember that I am proposing it as an alternative to the hypothetical proposal to farm it from humans (I'm emphasizing the word "hypothetical in the hope that it will avoid us an unwarranted panic attack).
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 23rd, 2017, 5:13 pm 

And by the way, this here is a hit and miss:

mitchellmckain » 23 Oct 2017 03:11 pm wrote:Nor does your comment about the ABILITY to make antibodies (which I said nothing about)


I said what I said about antibodies specifically to respond to your previous point here:

mitchellmckain wrote:I don't think so. Not only is this reinventing the wheel but a big part of the advantage of breast milk are the anti-bodies which are produced by living breathing whole human beings and not just breast tissue.


Your point was that breast tissue (more specifically cuboidal cells) doesn't produce the antibodies, and you are right about that. Which is why I answered that this part could be done independently by another engineered tissue and then added to the milk (which is pretty much what happens for breastmilk).

Are you honestly unable to see the connection between your statement and my response to it? Or do you just want to rant and equivocate? You're not being very helpful and you're just derailing caters' thought experiment. I'd prefer it if you stop that and either try to become helpful (and on point), or find a different - more relevant thread - to air your irrelevant grievances.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 23rd, 2017, 5:15 pm 

caters do you have any new questions?
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby mitchellmckain on October 24th, 2017, 2:15 am 

BioWizard » October 23rd, 2017, 3:59 pm wrote:The OP proposed to pretty much farm human beings for breastmilk.

nonsense! I call strawman here. All he proposed was to add a breast pump for convenience to the time honored and time tested ways of breast feeding and wet nursing. By the way, FYI, I am not a breast feeding fanatic. I have had three sons and we limited breast feeding to the minimum recommended time for those antibodies and then switched to formula and the reason was that we didn't want our children to be inordinately dependent on the mother (as we saw in other families), so that instead we could share the job of parenting more equally.

BioWizard » October 23rd, 2017, 3:59 pm wrote: I proposed to bioengineer the milk instead, because that would be more efficient, more sustainable, and more ethical than using humans as farm cows.

I certainly agree that your way is better than this Nazi fantasy of human milk farms. LOL!

BioWizard » October 23rd, 2017, 3:59 pm wrote:For the antibodies that would be relevant to the spaceship, we would expose a culture of engineered B cells to pathogens and antigens that are available on the ship, isolate the antibodies they secrete, and add them to the milk to recreate the exact chemical solution that a human's breast would produce.

Incorrect. It is not irrelevant, but it is reduced because the biosphere is smaller. But for humans to live for any length of time there must be a biosphere of some kind. The mutations/variations of pathogens don't really require a biosphere anyway, so the problem remains largely proportional to the population of human hosts. And note you gain nothing by small populations because the decrease of human genetic diversity brings another host of problems.
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: 27 Oct 2016


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BadgerJelly on October 24th, 2017, 2:57 am 

Given that the first few days/weeks (I forget?) of milk contains antibodies and such, I am more concerned with the sanitized environment. What would be the effects of having antibodies introduced to the baby without any Earthly level of exposure to random viruses?

Other than that side thought I am not sure we could reproduce synthetic milk of a good quality because the whole mother and baby interaction likely goes on at a hormonal level we simply don't yet fully understand given the biological complexity involved.

As a stop gap resolution between planets I see formula as being acceptable. I would be curious as to how such a method would have to be used so as to alter "genetic make-up" (sorry, not up to date on what "genetic" means anymore, but I am at least aware that it has different connotations now!)

Basically would using ONLY formula for several generations alter the 10th or 20th generations capabilities for producing breast milk? Is there any risk of this of a certain period of time that needs to be addressed?
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4506
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby Braininvat on October 24th, 2017, 10:06 am 

I believe Caters list on advantages of breastfeeding is a good one. A direct contact with the mother is good for the baby. It is possible that the aliens would be less anti-formula if they had biotech that accurately recreated breast milk and then that formula could be injected into a mother's milk glands (if she were under-lactating) to supplement her own. It might also be possible, if the mother had some nipple problem, to bioengineer a third strap-on breast that would mimick living tissue and the smell and feel of the mom's breasts. If this is incorporated into the plot, I really want to see the movie adaptation.

Mitchell, I am not sure that Caters is a "he." I recall she once posted a link to a blog of hers where the author had a female name.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5768
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 24th, 2017, 10:40 am 

mitchellmckain » 24 Oct 2017 01:15 am wrote:
BioWizard » October 23rd, 2017, 3:59 pm wrote:For the antibodies that would be relevant to the spaceship, we would expose a culture of engineered B cells to pathogens and antigens that are available on the ship, isolate the antibodies they secrete, and add them to the milk to recreate the exact chemical solution that a human's breast would produce.

Incorrect. It is not irrelevant,


Where exactly did you see me say anything about irrelevance?

mitchellmckain wrote:but it is reduced because the biosphere is smaller.


Correct. And that is specifically why I said you'd only need to produce antibodies that are relevant to the spaceship. Because if no Flu strains made it to the biosphere of the spaceship, neither will the humans generate antibodies against Flu nor would the babies benefit from them.

I'm not sure why you would disagree with me and then practically repeat what I said. Maybe I struck a nerve with you and you've become too emotionally invested to interpret my posts correctly. That's not good a place to be so I'm going to try one more time to put this back on track. I hope you can put whatever emotions are at play here aside for a second and engage me rationally and objectively for the few paragraphs that will follow.

Caters asked for a logistic solution that can provide breastmilk to babies on the spaceship 100% of the time. To me, this question wasn't sufficiently clear, because it did not explain the context and motives behind this decision, and therefor didn’t clearly lay out the nature and scope of the sought solution. If the motive is ideological and insists that the milk must come out of human breasts, then clearly the only applicable solution is one that logistically organizes human females to meet the demand for milk at all times. If, on the other hand, the reason is purely technical/biological, then any biotechnology that can produce an exact replica of breast milk would apply - at least in theory. If the purpose is to get the benefits/biological effects of breast milk, then a solution that has the exact biochemical makeup of breastmilk will have the exact biological effects of breastmilk.

To my question, caters responded with

caters wrote:They are anti formula because they know the benefits of formula feeding do not outweigh the benefits of breastfeeding.


Which to me indicated that this was about the technical/biological aspects of breastmilk. It wasn't about ethics, ideology, practices of the private sector, governments' failure to protect consumers, the challenges of a small population surviving through a genetic bottleneck, or any of those things you're bringing into this right now. While they are certainly entertaining to discuss and potentially relevant down the line as caters builds the rest of the story line, they are not immediately relevant to providing a list of potential logistic solutions to caters' question.

The premise that caters provided for the question at hand included these two explicit points:

1- The aliens want to use 100% breastmilk
2- The motive behind this decision is that breastmilk has benefits over formula

A third implicit point which was not stated but taken as a given is that breastmilk, or the biochemical constitution thereof, can only come from a human's breast. What I wanted to do, however, was alert caters that this may or may not be the case in the distant, or even near, future. Now I get that you don't like my solution and that you are in favor of breaskmilk secreted by a human's breast. I get it. But that doesn't mean you need to lash out and attempt to silence my proposal. At first you pretended that you don't like it because it's not technically feasible. Then you started to move the goal post into all sorts of irrelevant subjects. Don't get me wrong, genetic bottlenecks and the history of industrialization are very interesting, but they are not helping caters understand the range possible solutions for the problem posed in the OP.

If you cannot leverage a technical criticism of my proposal, then you should:

1- acknowledge that it is at least theoretically possible (and I would posit that it is given that we are able to produce in vitro all of the components of milk, so there is no conceptual hurdle towards scaling up the technology and hardening it to the point where we can reproduce the entire solution)
2- leave it to caters to decide which option works well for the story

I'm not trying to convince you of anything and you're not going to sway me with an ideological argument over a technical question. Just please stop derailing this thread and leave it to caters to decide what to go with after we’re brought up to speed on the technicalities. I'm still asking you nicely, so I hope you can at least appreciate that and reciprocate.

Now... For the sake of completeness, I'm going to answer your points even though I consider them irrelevant to caters' question. Hopefully you'll find my answers sufficient and we can go back to helping caters.

mitchellmckain wrote:But for humans to live for any length of time there must be a biosphere of some kind. The mutations/variations of pathogens don't really require a biosphere anyway, so the problem remains largely proportional to the population of human hosts. And note you gain nothing by small populations because the decrease of human genetic diversity brings another host of problems.


This is all correct. And because it is correct, it would be all the more reason to introduce a bioengineering component to the adaptive immune system of the ship's population. That allows you to generate much more antibody diversity without having to increase the genetic diversity of the population through its size. It could be some super improved variant of the CAR-T technology which recently got FDA approval.

Before you react, let me say that I know you might not like this suggestion and may have ethical considerations against it. I get that and I won't fight you on what you consider valuable. That's your choice. I'm just telling you what a possible technical solution for that particular problem could be. Ok? Please try to relax.

mitchellmckain wrote:nonsense! I call strawman here. All he proposed was to add a breast pump for convenience to the time honored and time tested ways of breast feeding and wet nursing. By the way, FYI, I am not a breast feeding fanatic. I have had three sons and we limited breast feeding to the minimum recommended time for those antibodies and then switched to formula and the reason was that we didn't want our children to be inordinately dependent on the mother (as we saw in other families), so that instead we could share the job of parenting more equally.
...
I certainly agree that your way is better than this Nazi fantasy of human milk farms. LOL!


OK, so maybe you don't see the implications of this proposal the way I see them. That's fine. But to me, instating a 100% breastmilk policy means that some "stock" of lactating women needs to be kept available at all times. Which means that the population of women would have to be "managed" for this purpose, including manipulating their bodies with hormones, controlling how when and what they eat, and forcing them to do certain tasks at certain times. To me, this smells of gender inequality. You may be fine with that, and the women themselves might be OK with it too. I personally would favor solutions that would free women from being managed as lactating machines. But that's just my personal opinion and we may never see eye to eye on it. Which is fine because neither do we need to nor is it relevant to caters' logistic question yet.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 24th, 2017, 10:41 am 

Braininvat » 24 Oct 2017 09:06 am wrote:I believe Caters list on advantages of breastfeeding is a good one. A direct contact with the mother is good for the baby. It is possible that the aliens would be less anti-formula if they had biotech that accurately recreated breast milk and then that formula could be injected into a mother's milk glands (if she were under-lactating) to supplement her own. It might also be possible, if the mother had some nipple problem, to bioengineer a third strap-on breast that would mimick living tissue and the smell and feel of the mom's breasts.


Indeed, the entire experience can probably be simulated using AI, robotics, and tissue engineering (hypothetical -
please nobody freak out!).
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby mitchellmckain on October 24th, 2017, 2:26 pm 

Braininvat » October 24th, 2017, 9:06 am wrote:Mitchell, I am not sure that Caters is a "he." I recall she once posted a link to a blog of hers where the author had a female name.

I refuse to play that game. I made no guess whatsoever regarding the gender and I usually don't... it has very little to do with the issues under discussion as far as I am concerned.

"He" is the pronoun we traditionally use for a person when the gender is unknown and I will stick to my native language according to those rules. Other languages have other rules which arbitrarily assigns gender to inanimate objects. Such are the ways of human language.
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: 27 Oct 2016


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby Braininvat on October 24th, 2017, 3:50 pm 

Wow, you are touchy lately. I wasn't criticizing your usage at all, just passing along information. Wasn't playing any "game." If someone posts their blog and it bears the name "Alicia," I am going to use "she" unless new information comes to light. It may not make any difference to the poster, but it does to me because of how I was raised and the courtesies I was taught.

As to the assumption that "he" is the proper gender-neutral pronoun, and what message that may send to young women embarking on a career in the sciences, there is another thread on that topic somewhere back in the SCF cobwebs. I won't dig it up now, but you are welcome to search it out.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5768
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby Braininvat on October 24th, 2017, 3:51 pm 

Interesting that you did not respond at all to the main text of my posting, but only to that minor aside.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5768
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 24th, 2017, 3:54 pm 

Braininvat » 24 Oct 2017 02:51 pm wrote:Interesting that you did not respond at all to the main text of my posting


or mine.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby mitchellmckain on October 24th, 2017, 7:44 pm 

Braininvat » October 24th, 2017, 2:51 pm wrote:Interesting that you did not respond at all to the main text of my posting, but only to that minor aside.


Why? That part wasn't addressed to me that I could tell. I found it reasonable and had no comment to make.
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: 27 Oct 2016


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby mitchellmckain on October 24th, 2017, 7:54 pm 

Braininvat » October 24th, 2017, 2:50 pm wrote:Wow, you are touchy lately.

Not really. Perhaps it is more a matter of getting careless and running off with the "mouth" when I should just keep it to myself.

Braininvat » October 24th, 2017, 2:50 pm wrote: I wasn't criticizing your usage at all, just passing along information.

Oh... I can see how the topic might have reminded you of this particular information. he he

Braininvat » October 24th, 2017, 2:50 pm wrote: Wasn't playing any "game." If someone posts their blog and it bears the name "Alicia," I am going to use "she" unless new information comes to light. It may not make any difference to the poster, but it does to me because of how I was raised and the courtesies I was taught.

Sure.. me too... I just find the he/she for ambiguous cases to be a little tiresome.
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: 27 Oct 2016


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby mitchellmckain on October 24th, 2017, 7:57 pm 

BioWizard » October 24th, 2017, 2:54 pm wrote:
Braininvat » 24 Oct 2017 02:51 pm wrote:Interesting that you did not respond at all to the main text of my posting


or mine.

Didn't respond to your last post at all for the simple reason that it was quite an adequate accounting (especially all those... "right" and "all correct" LOL) and there was nothing left for me to say.
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: 27 Oct 2016


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 24th, 2017, 8:10 pm 

mitchellmckain » 24 Oct 2017 06:57 pm wrote:
BioWizard » October 24th, 2017, 2:54 pm wrote:
Braininvat » 24 Oct 2017 02:51 pm wrote:Interesting that you did not respond at all to the main text of my posting


or mine.

Didn't respond to your last post at all for the simple reason that it was quite an adequate accounting...

...and there was nothing left for me to say.


Great. Thanks for acknowledging it.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby Braininvat on October 25th, 2017, 9:55 am 

mitchellmckain » October 24th, 2017, 4:54 pm wrote:
Braininvat » October 24th, 2017, 2:50 pm wrote: I wasn't criticizing your usage at all, just passing along information.

Oh... I can see how the topic might have reminded you of this particular information. he he


Haha. Yeah, I haven't encountered many male sci-fi writers who are that keenly interested in how their characters handle breastfeeding. But that may be a limited perception based on my only reading their manuscripts in their final edited form, i.e. as books.

Sorry, Caters, I am really going off-track here. And, in all seriousness, I think the generation ship novel has yet to really explore a lot of the scientific aspects of journeys of such long duration. And there is the issue of developing the immune system, upon arrival at a new world with an active biosphere, to permit living on the surface. Perhaps pathogens would be so different that they simply wouldn't affect humans - or just cause allergic reactions but not disease. And what would we be carrying that could run amuck in an alien biosphere? I've seen quite a few novels that just skip over these issues.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5768
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Generation ship: 100% breastmilk solution

Postby BioWizard on October 25th, 2017, 10:26 am 

The good part is that these scenarios aren’t purely imaginary. We have lots of historical prescedent for such events here on Earth. There are tons of datasets to build models from.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12628
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Next

Return to Biology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron