Scrambled Eggs, Friend or Foe?

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

Scrambled Eggs, Friend or Foe?

Postby Event Horizon on December 6th, 2018, 3:37 pm 

If you knew me in one of my previous incarnations, you may recall I have certain problems. One of them being chronic under-eating. I like scrambled egg as its quick and nutritious. Kinda.
Using foods like this, and like coconut milk might be packed with sorely needed calories, but are uber high in saturated fat and/or cholesterol.
I was wondering if it was better to ingest saturated fats and fatty acids all in one go, or is it better to just have one egg or one can of coconut a day over a period of time, or is it better to take it all in one go and have nothing for a while?
A bit inconsequential at a glance, but could prove interesting.
Event Horizon

Re: Scrambled Eggs, Friend or Foe?

Postby TheVat on December 6th, 2018, 4:27 pm 

Ah, a question actually in a field I worked in! Makes my day! There are many myths about fats that grew out of discredited studies several decades old. It's not so much that any fats are bad, but rather that we humans do best on a balance of omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids. If you ate only sunflower seeds for FA, that would be as bad because your system would get almost entirely omega-6 FA, which imbalance promotes inflammatory diseases. The key to healthy fat is foods that provide a balance, like grass-fed eggs and butter, canola, olive, flaxseed, walnut, and avocado oils, and DPA/EPA rich foods like sardines, salmon, cod, pollock, and free range chicken. Coconut oil saturated fat is much better than factory farm animals saturated fat because it is loaded with a very good type called medium-chain triglycerides which metabolize easily and have multiple health benefits.

As for your "dosage" question, the quick answer is to spread fat intake around, so you take it in with lots of whole grains, vegetables, pulses (beans, lentils, chickpeas etc) and plenty of fiber of the type called "soluble fiber" which actively discourages arterial plaque formation. Vitamin K2 also seems to help, which is part of why "pasture eggs" are better (more K2) than standard commercial eggs. In terms of protein, a healthy person who isn't recovering from surgery and isn't a competitive powerlifter needs 50-60 grams per day.

If you leave meat out, it's a more affordable diet, but it's best to get some dairy and/or eggs, especially if your body was raised on a Western cuisine. And ESPECIALLY if you drink black tea/coffee and/or alcohol, as they can reduce retention of B12.
TheVat
Forum Moderator

Re: Scrambled Eggs, Friend or Foe?

Postby Event Horizon on December 8th, 2018, 12:09 am 

Thanks Brainy. A fine reply. I have a pretty much organic, non gm policy. I am still an omnivore though. I agree with much of what you say and learned some new stuff.

So, to confirm... if I scramble and eat 4 eggs, its worse for me than 4 eggs over 4 days. I believe the consensus is that one egg a day bears very little harm. My scrambled eggs are more likely to kill me than an egg a day, so the answer to the premise of my OP would appear to be foe. heh!
Event Horizon

Return to Biology