Any clinical microbiologists around?

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

Any clinical microbiologists around?

Postby Acid-Fast on December 27th, 2016, 8:37 pm 

Are there any clinical microbiologists around here? I was curious because I think a forum for providing some help with identifications and other resources would be awesome. I discovered microbe-canvas.com which seems like a very good resource but has no forum and the other forums I did find didn't provide enough responses in a timely manner to be practical. I wish the CDC had something like this but I haven't found it on their site. A phenotype shouldn't be a substitute for a genotype, when uncertain and when it really counts, but it can mean a lot (in terms of outcomes) when being able to provide an accurate/ball-park presumptive identification.

I've been in the medical lab/pathology field, full-time, for over 10 years with a primary emphasis in micro. I've been doing micro exclusively for 3 years now. It's not hubris when I tell you that I can identify, with a high degree of confidence, a many number of organisms with only a few parameters (i.e source, gram stain, macroscopic morphology, growth on selective/differential media, and antibiogram).

I've gained some reputation in my organization as a go-to-guy for phenotyping some of the more obscure organisms like non-fermenting GNRs, diptheroids, and AFB. I don't have any family so I eat and sleep this stuff. I've got awesome job security and, as a bonus, I live across the street from my work! But back to the subject...

Anybody around here with this kind of experience who could be a resource for me? I can share micrographs, biochemical phenotypes, color plates, and antibiograms (minus the personal identifiers). I'm certain I could be a resource, in this regard, to this community but just popping my head around here to see if there are other practitioners. I'm constantly seeking more and more knowledge in this field.
Last edited by Natural ChemE on December 28th, 2016, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title changed from "Any clinical microbiologists around? RESOURCES????".
Acid-Fast
Forum Neophyte

SciameriKenBioWizardNatural ChemE liked this post

Re: Any clinical microbiologists around?

Postby Natural ChemE on December 28th, 2016, 12:35 am 

Acid-Fast,

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you're passionate about your field, which is wonderful to see. I'm always hoping that we get more members like you.

Here at the SPCF, we have a growing community with folks from a wide range of backgrounds. Our forum's founder, BioWizard, might have a more direct relationship to your field, as might some of our less active users like Paralith. A few of us might have some related background, like neuro or myself. And, of course, you're welcome to invite peers to join in discussions.

Personally, I'm a big fan of computational methods as they apply to scientific research, and I have a professional interest in constructing computational solutions. Since I'm sure that you make good use of software tools and mathematical analysis in your work, that could be a fun avenue for discussion.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

BioWizard liked this post

Postby Acid-Fast on December 28th, 2016, 10:09 pm 

Acid-Fast,

Personally, I'm a big fan of computational methods as they apply to scientific research, and I have a professional interest in constructing computational solutions. Since I'm sure that you make good use of software tools and mathematical analysis in your work, that could be a fun avenue for discussion.

Thanks for the reply.

I studied some math/logic and philosophy. Probably more than some of my counterparts but I'm no logician. I'm a bit more familiar with logic than some, like the history from Frege to Russell and then to Godel and even Tarski's semantic theory of truth (a correspondence theory of truth - my personal favorite). But I don't claim to have any more knowledge beyond the inevitable theories of truth, in terms of logic.

I like the algorithms that Siemens and bioMerieux use for their biotypes (and I have learned a lot from them) but sometimes they are wrong. Maybe they need more isolates to better define their biotypes/sets? Maybe the frequency of a biotype they studied was less prevalent than in an unsampled population and they overlooked the significance? Honestly, I don't know about the entirety of that stuff as I am just a morphologist/phenotypist and not an engineer/statistician but I am definitely interested in any discussions as they would pertain to any of the above. Many organisms that we had once thought were less prevalent turned out to be more prevalent or we just didn't recognize that they were or "should" be different organisms (i.e. Staphylococcus intermedius versus pseudintermedius). I don't know all of it but definitely interested.
Acid-Fast
Forum Neophyte

Postby RootTOL on February 10th, 2017, 1:23 am 

Curious what you phenotypists think of the metagenomic, sequence all the DNA, approach to identify all the players in clinical samples? Of course that require the correctly annotated and phenotyped reference genomes to make sense of the data and the more of these the better.
RootTOL
Forum Neophyte

Return to Biology