That lovely dandelion comes into its own

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

That lovely dandelion comes into its own

Postby vivian maxine on May 3rd, 2017, 8:48 am 

I have been saying for years that a weed is simply a plant that man has not yet found a use for. Now the lovely, yellow dandelion has proven me right.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 114010.htm
vivian maxine
Resident Member

SciameriKendandelion liked this post

Re: That lovely dandelion comes into its own

Postby SciameriKen on May 3rd, 2017, 9:25 am 

Lol I love that Dandelion was first to like your message
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

dandelion liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on May 3rd, 2017, 9:29 am 

SciameriKen » May 3rd, 2017, 8:25 am wrote:Lol I love that Dandelion was first to like your message

So did I. "-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby dandelion on May 3rd, 2017, 9:47 am 

I'd thought it was a fairly useless username, happy to shown to be wrong :)
dandelion

SciameriKen liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on May 3rd, 2017, 10:08 am 

I like that it happened in St Louis, as did the work of Dr. Raichle and others. Wash U has an outstanding research lab. They get a lot of grants which I think is an indication of what good work they do. And their medical school is not to be scoffed at.

Dandelion, now you can let those pretty little yellow flowers bloom and sell them to science labs when they go to seed. Or give them free if they'll come and harvest them. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby dandelion on May 3rd, 2017, 11:49 am 

Yes!! I was in the countryside recently admiring fields of dandelions which were lovely, although they were not quite as amazing as the fairly recent photos I've seen of California's wildflower "super bloom", which look incredible-
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/14/weather/california-super-bloom/
dandelion

Postby Braininvat on May 3rd, 2017, 12:16 pm 

My yard is full of pipettes, if anyone needs some.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on May 3rd, 2017, 12:39 pm 

dandelion » May 3rd, 2017, 10:49 am wrote:Yes!! I was in the countryside recently admiring fields of dandelions which were lovely, although they were not quite as amazing as the fairly recent photos I've seen of California's wildflower "super bloom", which look incredible-
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/14/weather/california-super-bloom/

Those pronghorns are almost swimming, aren't they?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby dandelion on May 3rd, 2017, 12:47 pm 

Indeed, Vivian! :)

Braininvat » May 3rd, 2017, 5:16 pm wrote:My yard is full of pipettes, if anyone needs some.

Haha
dandelion

Postby SciameriKen on May 3rd, 2017, 2:13 pm 

Braininvat » Wed May 03, 2017 4:16 pm wrote:My yard is full of pipettes, if anyone needs some.

As is mine - this year I am not going to war with them though - I guess its better for the bees?
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on May 3rd, 2017, 10:10 pm 

I'm not sure why more people don't eat dandelions. Unless something comes in a cardboard box or plastic container they think it's not edible I guess.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-eating-dandelion-greens-4433.html
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vivian maxine on May 4th, 2017, 7:22 am 

zetreque » May 3rd, 2017, 9:10 pm wrote:I'm not sure why more people don't eat dandelions. Unless something comes in a cardboard box or plastic container they think it's not edible I guess.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-eating-dandelion-greens-4433.html

zetreque, I don't know about eating the flower, if that is what you mean. We did used to eat the greens but there is too much spraying going on around us now to trust eating those. Maybe if you live far away from commercial farming or cities that spray at 2:00 AM.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby dandelion on May 4th, 2017, 8:31 am 

zetreque » May 4th, 2017, 3:10 am wrote:I'm not sure why more people don't eat dandelions. Unless something comes in a cardboard box or plastic container they think it's not edible I guess.

The greens can be fairly bitter, but I hadn't realised they are quite so nutritious, so I'm shown to be doubly wrong and I'll have to revisit this.
dandelion

Postby Heavy_Water on May 7th, 2017, 7:34 pm 

zetreque » May 3rd, 2017, 9:10 pm wrote:I'm not sure why more people don't eat dandelions. Unless something comes in a cardboard box or plastic container they think it's not edible I guess.

Uhh, for the same reasons I don't eat grass or weeds or pine needles?

Because they all taste like shit? LOL

I also grow a lot of veggies and Ispend a bunch of time at Farmer's market and in the produce section at the local grocery. Thus, I am not anywhere close to being restricted by my preferences to dining on only those foods that come wrapped or boxed.
V
Did you ever read that joke I told here about how you can tell if some bloke's a vegetarian?

The answer was, don't worry, they'll tell you.

LOL

Thanks for confirming.

Cheers.
Heavy_Water
Banned User

Postby zetreque on May 7th, 2017, 7:40 pm 

Heavy_Water » Sun May 07, 2017 3:34 pm wrote:

I also grow a lot of veggies and Ispend a bunch of time at Farmer's market and in the produce section at the local grocery. Thus, I am not anywhere close to being restricted by my preferences to dining on only those foods that come wrapped or boxed.
V
Did you ever read that joke I told here about how you can tell if some bloke's a vegetarian?

LOL

Thanks for confirming.

Cheers.

You are mistaken on both accounts. You are are just using a personal opinion and then attacking me (and failed) because I previously stated that I don't find your posts very insightful.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on May 8th, 2017, 12:15 am 

Am starting to wonder about the constant "LOL" usage. Seems like it is being used with a mocking or snarky tone towards some members.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Heavy_Water on May 8th, 2017, 1:51 pm 

zetreque » May 7th, 2017, 6:40 pm wrote:
Heavy_Water » Sun May 07, 2017 3:34 pm wrote:

V

LOL

Thanks for confirming.

Cheers.

You are mistaken on both accounts. You are are just using a personal opinion and then attacking me (and failed) because I previously stated that I don't find your posts very insightful.

You're of course correct that my comments on the gustatory nuances of rabbit food and such are merely my own opinion.

So I am therefore not wrong when I say that--to me--they are as appealing to me palate as fecal matter.

I of course fully realize that others may not agree with this opinion.

To each their own.

I do not think my OP was anything close to being an attack, however. And I was not thinking of your earlier comment about your own opinion as to the overall quality of my posts on this forum.

Your accusations are, alas, unfounded. And I also invite any moderator reading our exchange to weigh in as to whether or not I am correct, again, in stating this.

As a marathon runner, I was once advised by another marathoner to supplement my protein smoothies with wheat grass. He did this before and after runs, and claimed it improved his performance.

So I tried one Grass Smoothie before running the Austin Marathon a couple years ago. I promptly vomited, and vowed that some things, no matter how good they might be for your, are simply not worth consuming. I file this tidbit of wisdom under my "Life is Too Damn Short" category.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Heavy_Water
Banned User

Return to Biology