Does Sporadic CJD affect young people differently

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

Does Sporadic CJD affect young people differently

Postby Killerman on September 1st, 2017, 10:50 am 

Something I've been curious about with regards CJD is how it presents in young patients. As far as I know, the sporadic form affects older populations while the Variant form is more promminent in young people, but there is strong variation in the age groups of both types with people as young as 13 affected by Sporadic CJD and people as old as 80 being affected by the Variant form. According to some studies I have read, younger people tend to have a different clinical progression. This is supposedly characterised by a longer than normal disease duration (at least 2.5 months to 14 months) and a different set of symptoms. However, I have seen cases that mimic that of elderly populations such as the case regarding Carrie Mahan, a 29 year old who got the Sporadic Form and pretty much became a vegetable within 2 weeks if I interpret the article correctly. So, as a result, I wanted to ask if the clinical picture was different when it came to the progression of Sporadic CJD in young people and if so, could that mean that some cases of Variant CJD may be misdiagnosed and are Sporadic in nature (even with the pattern of brain lesions). (also as an aside, why do so many reports talk about patients going into Akinetic mutism when CJD causes a vegetative state at the end)
Killerman
Forum Neophyte

Re: Does Sporadic CJD affect young people differently

Postby Braininvat on September 1st, 2017, 11:16 am 

Would help members if you cite a couple of the articles from which you are drawing your information. What sort of demarcation has been defined between variant and sporadic forms? Are there differences between types of prion proteins, or is the difference more in how the host responds due to intrinsic factors? What about kuru, the Asian form of CJD?

BTW: You want us to ask about your moniker, right? :-)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Re: Does Sporadic CJD affect young people differently

Postby Killerman on September 1st, 2017, 12:07 pm 

Information on young age cjd: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17367581

Carrie Mahan, who pretty much lasted 2 months: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/28/magazine/the-case-of-the-cherry-hill-cluster.html

Sorry, I probably should have linked them earlier.
Killerman
Forum Neophyte

Return to Biology