Rebuttal: Extinction is bad

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

Rebuttal: Extinction is bad

Postby zetreque on March 14th, 2018, 1:18 pm 

In Defense of Biodiversity: Why Protecting Species from Extinction Matters
https://e360.yale.edu/features/in-defense-of-biodiversity-why-protecting-species-from-extinction-matters

A number of biologists have recently made the argument that extinction is part of evolution and that saving species need not be a conservation priority. But this revisionist thinking shows a lack of understanding of evolution and an ignorance of the natural world.

That chair is now occupied by a young professor whose recent writing probably has Griggs spinning in his grave. He is R. Alexander Pyron. A few months ago, The Washington Post published a “Perspective” piece by Pyron that is an extreme example of a growing minority opinion in the conservation community, one that might be summarized as, “Humans are profoundly altering the planet, so let’s just make peace with the degradation of the natural world.”

Pyron has since posted, on his website and Facebook page, 1,100 words of frantic backpedaling that land somewhere between apology and retraction, including mea culpas that he “sensationalized” parts of his own argument and “cavalierly glossed over several complex issues.” But Pyron’s original essay and his muddled apology do not change the fact that the beliefs he expressed reflect a disturbing trend that has taken hold among segments of the conservation community. And his article comes at a time when conservation is being assailed from other quarters, with a half-century of federal protections of land being rolled back, the Endangered Species Act now more endangered than ever, and the relationship between extinction and evolution being subjected to confused, book-length mistreatment.

This thread is in response to.
Maybe extinction of endangered species not so bad? Which is about that Washtington Post article.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=33846
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Rebuttal: Extinction is bad

Postby Watson on March 14th, 2018, 2:47 pm 

If you have $$ in your hand, you can trump the environment, nature. And with enough $$ you can make it all look like a good idea.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby BadgerJelly on March 14th, 2018, 3:23 pm 

Destruction is easy. I suggest we try to preserve what we have on this planet as best we can.

We've learnt a lot, we still know very little, and the clocks a-ticking! I don't think Mother Nature is ready to crush us just yet so maybe we'll make amends for our childish boundless freedom and start to act with more responsibility.

We're a pretty special kind of creature and I am just hoping we're "special" in the non-destructive way more than the destructive way. We appear to be forever teetering on the edge though, or creating more problems for every one we seemingly solve.

Personally I am just more and more confused by these big picture thoughts everyday. Part of me hopes that there is something in our DNA that will pull us back from the brink of destruction by some innate force of "nature's will," if the abyss opens it's maw before us - any more than usual!

Thinking positive is perhaps the best some of us can do, and then instill fortitude for when the time for action makes itself apparent - I think that is a balanced option between conservative attitudes and immediate and drastic measures?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Event Horizon on March 14th, 2018, 6:31 pm 

I think this is a mistaken and dangerous train of thought. If apex species die out, everything it supports dies out too.
In England the Oak is the "climatic climax" to use an ecological term or apex species if you prefer. It's estimated that the Oak supports approximately 300 species, and perhaps more. One important species going extinct such as White Oak that is in dire trouble could in turn render hundreds of other species that depend on it extinct.

People don't seem to be aware how fragile ecosystems are, and it is entirely possible that species critical to life on this planet, that might not be immediately obvious, get eradicated with dire consequences for mankind. We are loosing species at the rate of hundreds a month. This is not sustainable, and we need to figure out how to protect what remains.
Event Horizon

Postby Watson on March 14th, 2018, 6:50 pm 

Scorpion on the turtles back?

It's just the way we are, and what we do.
Consume in the interest of the might $$
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on March 14th, 2018, 7:04 pm 

But my cell-phone doesn't have the coolest coloured casing! What's a little inconvenience to some dumb gorillas compared to my fashion-trendiness?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Watson on March 14th, 2018, 7:27 pm 

And I'm under dressed to be turning 4500? But those are the priorities.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Event Horizon on March 14th, 2018, 8:06 pm 

Watson » March 15th, 2018, 12:27 am wrote:And I'm under dressed to be turning 4500? But those are the priorities.

Well done Watson. A milestone to be proud of.
Event Horizon

Return to Biology