How microscopic cell utilizes the invisible energy

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

How microscopic cell utilizes the invisible energy

Postby Biosapien on September 16th, 2019, 6:13 am 

Hi everyone,

We all know that energy cannot be created nor be destroyed and we also know that energy has been stored in the form of ATP. What I am trying to understand is how the microscopically visible cell absorbs the invisible energy to perform the metabolism or to maintain the homeostasis. In most of the biochemistry and biology books I saw and read that break down of ATP or ADP causes dissociation of pi molecule from it and the dissociated pi molecule binds with the other molecules or factors to induce a confirmatory change which in-turn induce further conformational change in the structure of the cell membrane to allow transport of molecule in and out. My query is whether which (i.e., invisible energy or the pi molecule) causes the cell to perform the work. If your answer is energy then my question towards you is how biomolecule absorbs invisible energy and in what form the energy is released during the breakdown of ATP which allow the cell to perform its function. If your answer is pi molecule then my question towards you is discriminate between energy and pi molecule.
Biosapien

Re: How microscopic cell utilizes the invisible energy

Postby bangstrom on September 16th, 2019, 2:05 pm 

The energy is electrical and energy in ATP is stored as an attraction among electrons that hold the atoms in place. There is no pi molecule. Pi and sigma are names for two kinds of electrical bonds between atoms. Electrical energy is stored when the electrical charges within atoms attract and hold the atoms together and the energy returns to the individual atoms when the electrical bonds are broken and the atoms separate.

Electrons in the atoms have a negative electrical charge and the protons are positive. Electrical bonds among electrons happen when the electrons share their attraction to the protons with other electrons. This overcomes the electrons tendency to repel.
bangstrom

Postby Biosapien on September 16th, 2019, 11:33 pm 

bangstrom » September 17th, 2019, 12:35 am wrote:The energy is electrical and energy in ATP is stored as an attraction among electrons that hold the atoms in place. There is no pi molecule. Pi and sigma are names for two kinds of electrical bonds between atoms. Electrical energy is stored when the electrical charges within atoms attract and hold the atoms together and the energy returns to the individual atoms when the electrical bonds are broken and the atoms separate.

Electrons in the atoms have a negative electrical charge and the protons are positive. Electrical bonds among electrons happen when the electrons share their attraction to the protons with other electrons. This overcomes the electrons tendency to repel.

Thank you for your explanation but I am already aware of the facts which you have been explained. Kindly once again read my queries for your better understanding.
Biosapien

Postby bangstrom on September 17th, 2019, 5:32 am 

Biosapien » September 16th, 2019, 10:33 pm wrote:
Thank you for your explanation but I am already aware of the facts which you have been explained. Kindly once again read my queries for your better understanding.

You are asking about two different topics. One is energy in a cell and the other is membrane transport. If you understand about the energy in a cell, you should know that pi is not a molecule. Pi and sigma are names for two kinds of electrical bonds. ATP and ADP can be written as A3P and A2P.
A3P has one more phosphorous ion than A2P so A3P is a battery with a full electrical charge and A2P is a battery that needs to be charged with one more P ion. ATP is the battery that supplies electrical energy to the enzymatic proteins in the cell membrane that are involved in “active” transport across a membrane.

Membrane transport is a much more complicated topic and here is a video:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click
bangstrom

TheVat liked this post

Postby Biosapien on September 19th, 2019, 3:59 am 

It seems like there is a mis-communication, all these time I was referring pi to phosphate molecule and not to pi pond or sigma bond. According to textbook and your statement ATP is full of energy, if transport across the membrane is complex for our discussion the I would continue with the following example, In the glycolysis pathway, glucose is converted into glucose 6 phosphate and people generally call this as energy utilizing step or reaction. Why these types of reactions are called energy utilized reaction. What I observe is just the addition of Phosphate molecule to glucose from ATP and my question to you is what makes the ATP as an energy storing molecule and what you mean by energy.
Biosapien

Postby bangstrom on September 19th, 2019, 5:54 pm 

Biosapien » September 19th, 2019, 2:59 am wrote:It seems like there is a mis-communication, all these time I was referring pi to phosphate molecule and not to pi pond or sigma bond. According to textbook and your statement ATP is full of energy, if transport across the membrane is complex for our discussion the I would continue with the following example, In the glycolysis pathway, glucose is converted into glucose 6 phosphate and people generally call this as energy utilizing step or reaction. Why these types of reactions are called energy utilized reaction. What I observe is just the addition of Phosphate molecule to glucose from ATP and my question to you is what makes the ATP as an energy storing molecule and what you mean by energy.

Your question now makes sense. Something was lost in the translation.

The energy is electrical and electrons can be added or subtracted from the ADP molecule in the form of a negatively charged phosphate ion PO4. ATP has a phosphate molecule that is loosely held and it is easily gained or lost to other molecules as a phosphate ion carrying energy in the form of three extra electrons.

You are right that a phosphate molecule is lost from the ATP and transferred to the glucose. The phosphate ion PO4 has a negative electrical charge of -3 so electrical energy is lost from the ATP and gained by the glucose. Energy is said to be “utilized” from the ATP.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/bio ... glycolysis
bangstrom

Postby Biosapien on September 19th, 2019, 11:11 pm 

Think I should delve into the topic of ETC (Electron Transport Chain) for further understanding and thank you for clarifying my queries.
Biosapien

Return to Biology