Lye on Food?

Discussions on general chemistry and chemical engineering, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, etc.

Lye on Food?

Postby vivian maxine on May 24th, 2016, 9:14 am 

I went to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction to read about Maillard Reaction. There I found mention of lye being applied to pretzels to brown them. Then followed a reference to Lye Rolls. That took me to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lye_roll where I read: "Lye rolls are a baked specialty in Germany ... They are made by immersing bread rolls in a lye solution before baking."

Are they talking about the lye that i know? :-(
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Lye on Food?

Postby Watson on May 24th, 2016, 9:57 am 

Yes, but a diluted solution. Baking soda is a weak alternative.

Interesting little search you suggested I go on.

See: http://sodiumhydroxide.weebly.com/uses.html
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on May 24th, 2016, 10:29 am 

Watson » May 24th, 2016, 8:57 am wrote:Yes, but a diluted solution. Baking soda is a weak alternative.

Interesting little search you suggested I go on.

See: http://sodiumhydroxide.weebly.com/uses.html

I think I am going to be ill. One thing there I did know about - lye soap. Not on my face, please, but it is a great treatment for poison ivy. We had what we called brown scrub soap. We used it to scrub floors and do laundries. Years later, I was told that brown scrub soap is lye soap. Whatever, it is a cure for poison ivy. Work up a lather on the rash and rub it in until it disappears. Let it dry and leave it there. The rash dries up fast so it doesn't go through that weeping phase. Stops it from itching also.

One time, the cook at our school put a dab of something on her tongue to be sure it was sugar, not salt. It was neither. It was lye. Burned her tongue badly.

Now who would store lye on the same shelf with sugar and salt? Hmmmm?

Thank you, Watson, for the link. Interesting, the many uses. By the way, wouldn't that Drano, etc., eat through today's plastic pipes?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 24th, 2016, 12:13 pm 

Well, for the baking uses, it would be in with the salt and sugar, but you would think it would be in a weak baker's grade form and well marked. Especially in a more public kitchen where things may be treated more casually. There was the suggestion to use plastic utensils, so plastic waste pipes should be safe. I remember hearing about using drain cleaners respectfully as it corrodes the metal pipes along with the clogs of soft materials. Never a mention of respecting the environment this caustic material was getting dumped into.

I wonder how much bagel lye is safe to consume? I imagine there is some residue.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on May 24th, 2016, 12:21 pm 

Watson » May 24th, 2016, 11:13 am wrote:Well, for the baking uses, it would be in with the salt and sugar, but you would think it would be in a weak baker's grade form and well marked. Especially in a more public kitchen where things may be treated more casually. There was the suggestion to use plastic utensils, so plastic waste pipes should be safe. I remember hearing about using drain cleaners respectfully as it corrodes the metal pipes along with the clogs of soft materials. Never a mention of respecting the environment this caustic material was getting dumped into.

I wonder how much bagel lye is safe to consume? I imagine there is some residue.

How much is safe? None in my book.

Among the dozen pages of "thou shalt nots" we get from our property owners, we are not to use any drain cleaners because they corrode the pipes. But out pipes (mine anyway) are a mix of metal and plastic. So, who knows?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 24th, 2016, 12:35 pm 

This is all news to me as well. It's like ammonia and Clorox in the laundry room. You just have to know not to mix the two and chlorine is less toxic in a diluted form like in a swimming pool.
Watson
Resident Member

Return to Chemistry