Cinnabar (HgS) digestion

Discussions on general chemistry and chemical engineering, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, etc.

Cinnabar (HgS) digestion

Postby mj.mirazimi on October 24th, 2016, 9:16 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a procedure useful for cinnabar (HgS) digestion. I have searched and found that using aqua regia won't be helpful and I should use more powerful reagent to digest cinnabar.

Thanks for your help and time :)
mj.mirazimi
Forum Neophyte

Re: Cinnabar (HgS) digestion

Postby Natural ChemE on October 25th, 2016, 9:02 pm 

mj.mirazimi » October 24th, 2016, 8:16 pm wrote:I am looking for a procedure useful for cinnabar (HgS) digestion.

Are you looking to separate the mercury and sulfur?

Wikipedia suggests
Cinnabar, Wikipedia wrote:To produce liquid mercury (quicksilver), crushed cinnabar ore is roasted in rotary furnaces. Pure mercury separates from sulfur in this process and easily evaporates. A condensing column is used to collect the liquid metal, which is most often shipped in iron flasks.
, so, I guess crush it and heat?

Mercury boils at 356.75°C while sulfur doesn't boil 'til 444.6°C, so it seems reasonable that heating crushed cinnabar around 400°C should result in a decent separation.

PS - Huh, YouTube'ing this thing's interesting. This guy actually does the separation on a kitchen stove in a clay pot:
Probably not the best way if you're got a lab, especially given mercury's toxicity, but still interesting to see.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

mj.mirazimi liked this post

Postby mj.mirazimi on October 25th, 2016, 9:33 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for your response.
However, I am looking a way to separate the Hg and S. I want to dissolve the cinnabar (HgS) rock completely (digest). However, I have searched and found that using aqua regia would not be effective and this mineral is too tough to be dissolved by aqua regia. Also, I have found a procedure to use a mixture of sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and potassium permanganate to dissolve the HgS but it is reported that this procedure can not dissolve it completely :(
mj.mirazimi
Forum Neophyte

Postby Natural ChemE on November 6th, 2016, 6:52 am 

mj.mirazimi,

Hey, sorry for the slow reply!

Here's one separation process: How Products are Made: Mercury.

Looks like:
  1. Grind cinnabar into a fine powder.
    • Roast the cinnabar at high temperature (~600°C?) with oxygen, producing mercury vapor and sulfur oxide.
      • Condense the vapor stream with cooling water to recover liquid mercury.
        • Claus reaction, , to recover the elemental sulfur.
        Are you going for a separation process like this, or are you specifically interested in finding an acid that'd reliably dissolve cinnabar without the need for heating?
        Natural ChemE
        Forum Moderator

mj.mirazimi liked this post

Postby mj.mirazimi on November 6th, 2016, 12:24 pm 

Hi,

Thanks so much for your response.
        Actually, I have some rocks (seems that they are cinnabar minerals) and I want to dissolve them (digest) to have the mercury in the solution so I can do AAS or ICP to detect mercury ions in my solution.
        mj.mirazimi
        Forum Neophyte

Return to Chemistry