Naturally Occurring?

Discussions on general chemistry and chemical engineering, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, etc.

Naturally Occurring?

Postby vivian maxine on December 3rd, 2016, 8:09 am 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 123622.htm

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry has approved names and symbols for four new elements.

On another thread, Ronjanec has well explained the difference between "naturally occurring" and "not naturally occurring". With that in mind: Are these "new" elements naturally occurring but just discovered? Or are they not naturally occurring and created by scientists?

I ask because, a long time ago, I read of a "new" element that had been created by a scientist. All I remember for certain about it is that it was not naturally occurring and its lifetime was extremely short. I think I know where I read that and I could find it, given time. Again, maybe not.

Question: Are there man-made elements? Or, have I just misread? Do we know how many naturally occurring elements there are?

Thank you.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Naturally Occurring?

Postby vivian maxine on December 3rd, 2016, 8:36 am 

More: About the OP, while checking the original reference, I spotted another article that seems to confirm what I am asking about: naturally occurring or not naturally occurring?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 151556.htm

Dated August 25, 2016

Chemistry professor Thomas Albrecht-Schmitt (Florida State University) explores outer regions of the periodic table. In the article is this:

"Berkelium has been mostly used to help scientists synthesize new elements such as element 117, tennessine, which was added to the table earlier this year." Element 117 is among a group of elements that Theodore Gray says in his book "Elements" do not exist on our planet. I acknowledge that his book is seven years old. Much happens in seven years in the science world. He says "they have all been discovered but do not exist on our planet".

"Synthesize new elements = "man-made"?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Naturally Occurring?

Postby Natural ChemE on December 5th, 2016, 1:20 am 

vivian maxine,

Earth's already got pretty much every kind of stable element there is, even if some are less common than others. They're all "naturally-occurring elements".

If you want an unstable atomic nucleus, you can try to make it through nuclear fusion. But since you can't usually find unstable elements in nature (as they're not around long before decaying), some folks call them "artificial".

Technically, unstable elements can occur in nature, e.g. when high-energy radiation slams into Earth's atmosphere. It's just that they disappear quickly due to decay and are hard to observe even if you're looking for them, so practically speaking, folks can think of them as artificial.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Return to Chemistry