"which-way" information in quantum particles

This is not an everything goes forum, but rather a place to ask questions and request help for developing your ideas.

Re: "which-way" information in quantum particles

Postby hyksos on April 17th, 2017, 1:45 pm 

I am reviving this thread after 8 months of inactivity.
hyksos

Postby hyksos on April 17th, 2017, 1:49 pm 

I have learned more about physics in the interim time, and I have come to a picture closer to bangstrom's.

I recently was exposed to the idea that "All physical events in our universe are really the emission and absorption of particles." bangstrom seemed to be hinting at this motto, without committing fully.
hyksos

Postby bangstrom on April 19th, 2017, 4:09 am 

hyksos » April 17th, 2017, 12:49 pm wrote:I have learned more about physics in the interim time, and I have come to a picture closer to bangstrom's.

I recently was exposed to the idea that "All physical events in our universe are really the emission and absorption of particles." bangstrom seemed to be hinting at this motto, without committing fully.

I would rephrase that to say that all physical events are really the emission of and absorption of energy… not particles. This is an old idea going back to Ernst Mach or Hugo Tetrode and much earlier to George Berkley. None of them found it essential for energy to be transmitted only by a direct physical connection between a signal and receiver. There is something wavelike to a light signal but no real evidence for a particle involvement. In other words, we don’t need no eff in fotons.
bangstrom

Previous

Return to Personal Theories