Photons and the Diverse Nature of Light

This is not an everything goes forum, but rather a place to ask questions and request help for developing your ideas.

Photons and the Diverse Nature of Light

Postby Pivot on May 10th, 2018, 2:03 am 

I have found myself looking more into the areas of nano-particle and medical biological research of late because these areas seem very innovative and tackling Science in a practical pragmatic way. They appear to be moving ahead rapidly, whereas the areas of Physics related to the Standard Model and QED seem to have plateaued, expanding sideways into the troubled waters of increasing complexity and compromise. It seems to me that nano-particle and medical biological research represents the research frontiers for the future, with Standard Model and QED research becoming those of the past.

I daresay that many of you would disagree.

However, in my readings, I came across an aspect relating to nano-particle manipulation using momentum from light related to the diagram below.

OAM and SAM Interaction.jpg
OAM and SAM Interaction

I have put together a short article about photons and the diverse nature of light that can be found on the link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z3TxvcDL5UpzZ8fPICUFM-QAj97c4Z5d

I hope you find it interesting.
Pivot
Forum Neophyte

vivian maxine liked this post

Re: Photons and the Diverse Nature of Light

Postby socrat44 on November 26th, 2018, 4:48 pm 

If photon has independent constant speed then:
what is the essence of ''the Diverse Nature of Light'' ?
===
socrat44

Postby Pivot on December 7th, 2018, 5:58 am 

The essence of the diverse nature of light article was to explore some of the observable forms of light such as optic vortex and polarised (linear, circular and elliptical) light.

This article was an early work-in-progress. An updated and more detailed article addressing light emission and re-emission (and a lot of other related things) can be found at http://vixra.org/pdf/1811.0470v2.pdf.

You seem to be interested in the speed of light, which we know can change when moving through media with different refractive indices. The explanation provided in the above-mentioned article is that photons consist of concentrated energy moving as a helical solenoid form. The photon's wave length changes but the speed of the contained energy does not: the net result is that the photon forward speed changes but the light frequency does not change because this is defined by the speed of the contained energy. Kind of beautiful, isn't it?
Pivot
Forum Neophyte

Postby socrat44 on December 7th, 2018, 11:43 pm 

Pivot » December 7th, 2018, 5:58 am wrote:The essence of the diverse nature of light . . .

You seem to be interested in the speed of light,
which we know can change when moving through media with different refractive indices.
The explanation provided in the above-mentioned article
is that photons consist of concentrated energy moving as a helical solenoid form.
The photon's wave length changes but the speed of the contained energy does not:
the net result is that the photon forward speed changes
but the light frequency does not change because
this is defined by the speed of the contained energy.
Kind of beautiful, isn't it?

My opinion.
Photon itself is Planck's ''quantum of action'' and therefore
photon itself is ''quantum of energy'':  E=h*f
Photon ''moving as a helical solenoid form'' has Uhlenbeck / Goudsmit
angular momentum - spin - "hidden rotation".
This ''hidden rotation''  is cause of photon's frequency.
When the photon's frequencies change the wave length also changes
( f = c / λ, λ = c / f, c=1. The higher the frequency, the shorter the wavelength)
When the photon's frequencies change its energy changes too
according to formula E=h*f
======
The article / EMR Wave-Particle Duality and Atomic Structure, by David Jonhson /
-- is maybe a ''Kind of beautiful'', but with many abstract ideas.
====
socrat44

Postby Pivot on December 8th, 2018, 3:06 am 

I have no problem with Planck's abstract idea of a photon being a ''quantum of action''. For the helical solenoid model the “hidden rotation” takes 2 forms: the large radius (R) rotation of the photon's helical form around its direction of travel, and the solenoidal rotation within the helical tube (small radius r). Both rotations are inter-related.

The well-known inverse relationship between frequency and wavelength is problematic when it comes to refraction, because here wavelength is shortened (or lengthened) and yet frequency remains the same (energy E = hν [or hf using your notation] is preserved, and thus frequency is unchanged). Thus the velocity of light is considered to change, meaning that the speed of light “c” can only be considered constant in a specified medium but varies by medium.

The helical solenoid model provides a physical explanation (rather than a purely mathematical one) as follows for light moving from a lower refractive index medium to a higher: the helical coil is slightly compressed, effectively increasing the turns per unit length (N), with the length of the coil (as laid out straight) being unchanged. Thus the solenoidal flow of energy, moving at the speed of light in a (proverbial) vacuum, remains unchanged but the linear speed of the overall helical solenoid coil is reduced.

Referring to
''Kind of beautiful'', but with many abstract ideas

The beauty to which I was referring was the helical solenoid model explanation of refraction as expanded upon above. And Science is full of abstract ideas and has greatly benefited from them. Many are called hypotheses or theories: and many being quite speculative and innovative. They are eventually proved or dis-proved by experimentation and further observation.

In the referenced paper I have attempted to address as many experimental results and observations as possible, providing a physical rather than a mathematical explanation: it would be good to have a more substantial mathematical underpinning of the concepts and hopefully that will eventuate (could be a good pet project for a budding mathematician).
Pivot
Forum Neophyte

Postby socrat44 on December 8th, 2018, 4:21 am 

Pivot » December 8th, 2018, 3:06 am wrote:I have no problem with Planck's abstract idea of a photon being a ''quantum of action''.
For the helical solenoid model the “hidden rotation” takes 2 forms:

1 - A photon as a ''quantum of action'' can have 2 different forms
of “hidden rotation” : linear rotation (h) and angular rotation (h-bar)

2 - Both rotations are result of ''inner-spin'' of quantum particle.

3 - The radius of angular-rotation can be different - depends on frequencies
The higher / stronger frequency of quantum particle the smaller its wavelength
the smaller its radius the higher its energy: E=h*f

4 - The speed of light “c” is a constant in a specified medium -- vacuum
but varies by medium.

Pivot » December 8th, 2018, 3:06 am wrote:The well-known inverse relationship between frequency and wavelength is problematic
when it comes to refraction, .

5 - The refraction / refractive light-effect in different mediums is another story.
====
socrat44

Postby Pivot on December 8th, 2018, 5:12 am 

Looks as if we are in general agreement on your points 1 to 4.

Would you like to expand upon your point 5...
5 - The refraction / refractive light-effect in different mediums is another story

regards
Pivot
Pivot
Forum Neophyte

Postby socrat44 on December 8th, 2018, 5:32 am 

Pivot » December 8th, 2018, 5:12 am wrote:Looks as if we are in general agreement on your points 1 to 4.

Would you like to expand upon your point 5...
5 - The refraction / refractive light-effect in different mediums is another story

regards
Pivot

''if we are in general agreement on points 1 to 4 ''
then the point 5 must be in your hands . . .
(i am not a professional physicist, just an amateur of its philosophy)
Best wishes
Israel Socratus
===
socrat44

Return to Personal Theories