The White Poo Mystery Theory

This is not an everything goes forum, but rather a place to ask questions and request help for developing your ideas.

The White Poo Mystery Theory

Postby Event Horizon on January 5th, 2019, 2:32 pm 

For years, people have been wondering the world over as to why sometimes dog poo goes white. Apparently.

I have heard the level and type of bacteria may be a factor. The stools I saw were almost chalky looking, and I thought back to having seen owl pellets. Most animals don't eat large amounts of bone, but a dog will. I think that once everything soluble has leached out of the deposit, only calcified remains persist.

Dogs have very powerful stomach acid and a fast digestive process, but I think there is no way to absorb all the calcium and magnesium in bones and it passes on through.

Thanks to Dr Karl for exposing this earth-shattering mystery..
Event Horizon

Re: The White Poo Mystery Theory

Postby TheVat on January 5th, 2019, 2:57 pm 

And a high protein diet tends to reduce mineral absorption. Yes, canines that eat wild (versus dog food) probably more likely to produce coproliths high in calcium and phosphorus. Researchers may want to determine if sun bleaching of other matrix materials may also contribute to the whiteness?

This is not a theory to be idly poo-poohed.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Forest_Dump on January 5th, 2019, 3:06 pm 

Well the scat from wolves, fox, lynx and bobcat is often black due to the blood of prey animals. I see it often enough. But why is bird droppings white?
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby doogles on January 5th, 2019, 5:23 pm 

I've never researched this topic as such, so this response is off the top of my head.

In the 1930s, when I was a kid, we had a dog. The staple food for that dog was bones from the butcher. When you purchased your own meat, you took along a sugar bag (a hemp bag that held 70 pounds of refined sugar). The butcher would throw in some large bones and maybe some ribs etc that occupied about 25% of the bottom of the bag. It would last a week, with supplementation from our own food scraps.

Dogs would gnaw on these large bones and grind them up into something like granules. Obviously they were getting nutrition from meat scraps on the bones that couldn't be removed by the butcher, as well as all of the bone marrow.

Their faeces were not just occasionally white, They were mostly white and in the shape and consistency of a firm dry-ish stool. You never get soft white faeces.

In later years I saw plenty of white stools in farm dogs while working as a country veterinarian. They were often associated with constipation and even obstipation. My working theory at the time was that they consisted mainly of calcium cabonates, phosphates and sulphates, all of which are white. They tend to accrete together.

My advice to owners in general was to allow their dogs to have the odd large bones until such time as they have a problem, at which stage, they look for alternatives. Dogs on suuch diets used to have prematurely-worn down incisor teeth.

Forest, bird droppings are white because the kidney and rectal contents mix at the cloaca before passing. The white is mostly urea in molecular form. They don't produce liquid urine like other animals.
doogles

Postby Event Horizon on January 5th, 2019, 5:33 pm 

Bird droppings are a nasty mess of urine and poo all mixed up together, which might help explain that to a point, and a bird digestive system is not very extensive. Owl pellets though are made mostly of fur and bone.

I do think sun bleaching probably affects the poo. these dog leavings do seem to hang around for some time. Kinda makes me wonder why they seem to linger longer.

Carnivores leave a poo that tapers off at one end, and animal hair is often embedded within it. The things you learn at Uni..But I never thought it would even come up!
Event Horizon

Postby doogles on January 5th, 2019, 6:32 pm 

Those owl pellets are not droppings. They regurgitate the pellets after digestion.
doogles

Return to Personal Theories