Egyptian pyramids purify water

This is not an everything goes forum, but rather a place to ask questions and request help for developing your ideas.

Egyptian pyramids purify water

Postby Hez on June 10th, 2007, 11:55 am 

First of all, hello to everyone. What a huge and great resource for discussion and information this forum is.

Anyway, i heard this one after my sister went to Egypt for a holiday, the information is a little sketchy. Apparently one of the tombs or pyramids can purify water. My sister said if you put a glass of water in the middle of that tomb/pyramid, it would purify the water and that scientists don't know what the cause this. She got this information from the tour guide.

I had not heard this prior to her telling me and could not find anything on google. Sounds like complete bull, but anyway, it would be interesting to see if you guys have heard of this before, or your take on this.
Hez
Forum Neophyte

Postby BioWizard on June 10th, 2007, 12:04 pm 

There are many ways to purify water, but they are all derivatives of three basic techniques. You can get the water out, leave the impurities behind, and in the process move the purer water into a separate container, otherwise known as distillation. Another method would be to keep the water where it is, and drive the impurities out, otherwise known as reverse osmosis. A third possible method is to pass the water along with the impurities on a matrix, whereby the matrix would retain the impurities, yielding pure water, otherwise known as filtration.

How a glass of water can sit inside a pyramid and get purified beats me.

My vote is Myth Busted.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Nick on June 10th, 2007, 12:06 pm 

You mean that the glass just sits there, and somehow the water becomes more "pure"? I'd file that one under "lies; house of", it's not like tour guides are governed in any way to make sure they dont lie.
Nick
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Forest_Dump on June 11th, 2007, 5:36 am 

And I thought "pyramid power" was a pure 70s thing. Lets just say I would not want to put that one to the test by drinking any. Not without having all my shots first, at the least.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Dehydration

Postby PeSla on June 11th, 2007, 12:09 pm 

I would not trust the purity of such water either - but the fact remains that this particular shape or thereabouts as a compression archetecture does have some strange influences involving water.

For example I made a wide variety of shapes with marshmallows and toothpicks and put them on my desk, dozens of them, but it rained for three days and the marshmallows grew soft and slowly sunk off the table and desks after all that work of thousands of toothpicks.

Only the simplest structure remained, four marshmallow and 6 toothpick tetrahedron, and the Great Pyramid of hundreds of marshmallows (and it was not the largest nor the most stable structure) and the marshmallows remained dry.

I also noticed some rather stange effects making candles in slight variations of these pyramids, especially if they were cracked and frozen rapidly in wisconsin winter.

But I shall not speculate on the why of all this here.
PeSla
Banned User

Location: Turtle Island ; Via Lattea citizen (otherwise homeless)

Postby Fuqin on June 12th, 2007, 6:30 am 

Actually if you take a glass of water from a tap sit it by your bed side over night in always tastes better the next day, I don’t really know why but I’ve hypothesized that the metals in the tap water find there way to the bottom of the glass bye morning , so maybe water left in a glass anywhere for a time undergoes some kind of separation effect between pollutants and the H20 some crap floats and some crap sinks 
Fuqin
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Nick on June 12th, 2007, 8:09 am 

Hmm, I would query that hypothesis Fuqin since it is the metals in the water that make it taste nice.
Nick
Resident Expert

Postby Fuqin on June 12th, 2007, 8:29 am 

Fair enough, I’m no chemist, but I do know what my tongue tells me, perhaps some one has an explanation for why the chemicals that come in tap water, or at lest the taste of them seem to diminish if left in a glass over night, its an easy enough experiment to try your self, there may be a biological explanation perhaps. It may be the chemicals in the tongue that change over night or something to that effect.
Fuqin
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BioWizard on June 12th, 2007, 8:50 am 

Maybe some of the chlorine (hypochlorous acid) in the water decomposes?
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby lin on July 5th, 2007, 12:08 pm 

Hmm, I would query that hypothesis Fuqin since it is the metals in the water that make it taste nice.

Kidding, right?
lin
Banned User

Postby Nick on July 5th, 2007, 12:30 pm 

Hell no, hard water ftw taste wise.
Nick
Resident Expert

Postby lin on July 5th, 2007, 2:29 pm 

Actually the main thing that makes water taste better is being cold.

Chemicals and minerals impart taste, but not that many people would describe most of it as "good" taste. I've been in places where the shower water smelled like rotten eggs. In San Diego the water tastes nasty.

You take hard water and set it settle, it doesn't taste as bad.

Have not idea what ftw means.
lin
Banned User

Re: Egyptian pyramids purify water

Postby thanojhasitha on May 11th, 2008, 7:08 am 

Hez wrote:First of all, hello to everyone. What a huge and great resource for discussion and information this forum is.

Anyway, i heard this one after my sister went to Egypt for a holiday, the information is a little sketchy. Apparently one of the tombs or pyramids can purify water. My sister said if you put a glass of water in the middle of that tomb/pyramid, it would purify the water and that scientists don't know what the cause this. She got this information from the tour guide.

I had not heard this prior to her telling me and could not find anything on google. Sounds like complete bull, but anyway, it would be interesting to see if you guys have heard of this before, or your take on this.

Well there is a myth saying that the pyramids were built by the help of aliens, there for i conclude that definitely wouldn't they be able to use proper mathematical techniques to built such a monument. the fact is how could any human being built such a thing 4000 years ago. the aliens would have used proper on the dot mathematical teqniques to build, so it could be possible to purify water
thanojhasitha
Forum Neophyte

Postby Forest_Dump on May 11th, 2008, 8:22 am 

Odd the assumption that people from 4000 years ago would be much different from us. The pyramids are a nice piece of work, like many others from around the world, but in terms of technology, etc., not that tough. The math is actually pretty basic with the tough part actually being getting, coordinating and providing the logistics (i.e., housing and feeding) the work force. But it was done and similar kinds of things were done before and since.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Schmungles on May 17th, 2008, 12:35 am 

Lin,

ftw means "for the win." Conversely, there is ftl (for the loss). I'm sure knowing these abbreviations has occupied some neurons in my head that would otherwise have been available for storing far more important information, but such is life.
Schmungles

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Highwaystar101 on May 27th, 2008, 1:25 pm 

My thought - complete myth.

How would this happen? This does not involve reverse osmosis or filtration etc... Do they suggest that it is something to do with the atmosphere of the room, because if so I would like to see an explanation how this could happen, I think it is absurd.
Highwaystar101

Postby Uwe on November 8th, 2018, 5:24 pm 

Ok Guys i want to share sth and urge u to try it out urselves. I have been hearing about this but didnt find a good explanation for it at least none that seemed scientifically relevant. Anyhow i decided to check it if i got the chance so when i went to egypt i had a simple ppm testing device with me . I checked the water before and after and it is infact purified from 800 ppm to less than 100 ppm i have no explanation to offer but at least the one time i tried thats what my ( cheap) device showed me. I urge u to try it out when u are ever in egypt.
Uwe
Forum Neophyte

Postby Braininvat on November 8th, 2018, 5:32 pm 

Don't be so gullible. Particulate matter settles over time. Chlorine volatilizes out of solution in about 24-30 hours at room temperature.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Re: Impurities - lost in translation

Postby Faradave on November 8th, 2018, 9:21 pm 

Perhaps the OP encountered a language barrier. For example, what if it meant water been collected from a drip in the pyramid. I imagine it takes rain a while to percolate (i.e. translate) through sandstone, hot (germ killing) on the outside, cool on the inside. A natural filter, it probably tastes like spring water, which essentially it would be.

Romans* used to build large, deep, cone-shaped pit in desert land, line it with hardened clay, then fill the pit with sand. Then they dug a well in the center and waited. When it eventually rained, water filtered down through the sand and collected at the well head. There it stayed, filtered and protected from evaporation and soluble dirt (dung etc.) until someone sent down a bucket. Clever!

As for water tasting better after sitting overnight, perhaps you're just more thirsty in the morning, especially snorers!

*I saw the Roman attribution on PBS too long ago to track but Middle Age castle cisterns of this sort are documented. Of course for cities, they built cavernous underground cisterns, which could be also filled by aqueduct as assurance against siege & drought.
Faradave

Postby ralfcis on November 12th, 2018, 3:11 pm 

I'm mostly water. Could I be purified if I sit in the middle of the pyramid?
ralfcis

Return to Personal Theories