Could this be a burial?

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

Could this be a burial?

Postby zetreque on January 11th, 2014, 7:47 pm 

I found this area where rocks have clearly been piled up for some reason a long time ago all over the area.
I am wondering if it could be some sort of ancient grave site.
I would like to investigate further eventually.
Take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks

http://snowconcept.skyflux.com/15.JPG
http://snowconcept.skyflux.com/16.JPG
http://snowconcept.skyflux.com/17.JPG
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Could this be a burial?

Postby Forest_Dump on January 12th, 2014, 1:14 am 

Yes they could be burials. Not sure what area you are in or the "culture-history" but they certainly could be burials. But why would you want to dig up someone's burial? Why not let them rest in peace?
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 12th, 2014, 4:29 am 

The same reason other Archaeologist and Anthropologists dig up things. To learn about our past, and out of curiosity. They also do it to preserve it as contradictory as that might seem.

I believe it would be best to determine the significance of the site to protect it from other people that would notice the site, then rob the graves in a destructive way. ("white man/western world" has only been in this particular area for about 150 years)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Watson on January 12th, 2014, 12:04 pm 

Where is this are?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Athena on January 12th, 2014, 1:04 pm 

It appears the rock piles are in an area that is unlikely to flood, right? The ground does not appear level, and the piles do not seem to form nice squares, so that rules out the purpose is holding poles for a structure.

As for disturbing the peace of the dead. if you think you find my bones 300 years from now, and think they might give you some useful information, dig them up! Isn't it normal to want to be remember? I think it is wonderful when we bring those who have gone before us into the present.

I am 100% in favor of securing the site and doing meaning investigation.
Athena
Banned User

Postby mtbturtle on January 12th, 2014, 1:58 pm 

Forest_Dump wrote: But why would you want to dig up someone's burial? Why not let them rest in peace?

They could be recent remains. A reason to report it to the local authorities.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby zetreque on January 12th, 2014, 3:20 pm 

Athena wrote:It appears the rock piles are in an area that is unlikely to flood, right? The ground does not appear level, and the piles do not seem to form nice squares, so that rules out the purpose is holding poles for a structure.

Good thought on the purpose being related to a structure. I don't think it is either.
They appear to be old enough that they settled, and if someone wasn't paying a whole lot of attention, they wouldn't notice.
This is at really high altitude where there is normally frozen snow year round. (but not in the past couple years). Isn't that sort of similar conditions to where Otzi was discovered?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Forest_Dump on January 13th, 2014, 12:10 am 

I would mention that, in terms of ethics, archaeologists in most parts of the world do not dig up or disturb burials just to appease idle curiosity. It is not the religion or beliefs of the archaeologist that matters here but the beliefs of the people who died and their descendants. Not everyone wants their grandmothers or other ancestors dug up at the whim of someone who is just curious about the bodies buried there.

However, if and when it needs to be done, it is definitely best (if not legally obligated in some places) to have someone there who knows what they are doing. Excavation like that is unavoidably destruction of data and the only way around that is top have someone there who knows how to preserve some of the data. The parallel with "Otzi" is worth thinking about. We know about Otzi because there were qualified archaeologists involved who knew how to preserve data and get it out to the public. There have been many other similar finds we don't know anything about because the people who found them didn't know what they were doing.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Athena on January 15th, 2014, 12:19 am 

Given the new information, I would stress reporting the find as soon as possible. If there are remains in an area normally frozen, they would have the benefit of being preserved. Every year the remains experience a higher temperature the more they will deteriorate.

Unlike Forest Dump, I am much more concerned about what we can learn from burial sites. In the case of Otzi, we know he has living relatives because of DNA studies. We can learn of people's migration paths. There is just so much that can be learned. We deal with life, and life is knowledge. Death is death. It is final if we don't put knowledge and life first. Let the dead live in our memories by learning of them. Connect humanity past and future, because this the closet to immortality we can get.

Rather than compare the find to Otzi, I would compare it to other mountain burial sites. It is normal for people to believe mountains are closer to the gods. I was also thinking the lack of vegetation in your pictures would mean a lack of grazing animals and therefore a lack of predators. If we bury our dead, we do not want predators to dig them up, perhaps making an area high in the mountains more suitable for lack of predators.
Athena
Banned User

Return to Archaeology