So what do you think is this a Kangaroo?

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

So what do you think is this a Kangaroo?

Postby Venus on January 16th, 2014, 8:14 am 

Australia's history hinging on a picture. :)

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... an-history

Inspired by the fact that this forum has active Australian members I thought it nice to open a topic on this one.
Venus
Banned User

Re: So what do you think is this a Kangaroo?

Postby Obvious Leo on January 16th, 2014, 4:43 pm 

I was listening to a discussion on the radio only yesterday on this exact subject. The prevailing wisdom is that the Dutch were the first Europeans to make landfall on this continent but speculation about earlier Portuguese visitors has been around for over a hundred years. Certainly their exploratory voyages in the east Indies predated those of the Dutch so such speculations are not unfounded. Unfortunately the great Lisbon earthquake of 1755 destroyed almost all the documentary records of the earlier Portuguese navigators so the real truth may never be known.

Is it a kangaroo? It certainly looks like one although without the tail it's hard to be sure. South America also has some native marsupial opossums which could easily be mistaken for a small kangaroo. ( In a dim light with a vivid imagination.) I guess you could say the jury's still out on this one.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Return to Archaeology