The Bronze Age collapsed?

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

The Bronze Age collapsed?

Postby vivian maxine on January 6th, 2015, 2:25 pm 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... ceDaily%29

Science Daily has an article about the demise of the ancient city of Nicoria in Greece during the Bronze Age. The introduction says "The collapse of the Bronze Age (around 1200 B.C.) including abandonment of cities and the destruction of palaces is known as the Dark Age." Further along, it is called the Greek Dark Age.

Is "the collapse of the Bronze Age" a mis-statement? I've never heard of the Bronze Age "collapsing". I'm not sure about "collapse of the Greek Bronze Age". Time for a review of history?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: The Bronze Age collapsed?

Postby wolfhnd on January 6th, 2015, 2:46 pm 

Britain's Bronze Age 'recession'

There is a 300-year period in British history between around 800 BC and 500 BC where experts still struggle to explain what happened, where bronze is in decline and iron was not widely used.

"By 1000 BC the bronze axe had become almost a proto-currency," says historian and presenter Neil Oliver.

"It was wealth that was divorced from its use as a metal. And, a little like economic bubbles that we see today, it spelt danger.

I watched a documentary on British history and I think this is the most interesting bit. It speaks a lot to issues today where people value things based on abstract ideas not for their utility.
Last edited by wolfhnd on January 6th, 2015, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Forest_Dump on January 6th, 2015, 2:47 pm 

Yes it is a bit of a misnomer. The earlier times are sometimes known as the Heroic Age described by Homer with kings like Achilles, Agamemnon and Odysseus. The times discussed here are also known as the Transitional Age and precedes the Classical Age. The Bronze Age did carry on until the Iron Age which basically means the arrival of the Romans in that part of the world. That time of around 1200 BC was certainly one of a lot of warfare and turmoil compared to the relative peace of earlier times and I suppose you could call it a kind of collapse but a) later times were also Bronze Age and b) there were other Bronze Age collapses around the Med, etc., that were not related.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

wolfhnd liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on January 6th, 2015, 3:21 pm 

Forest_Dump » January 6th, 2015, 1:47 pm wrote:Yes it is a bit of a misnomer. The earlier times are sometimes known as the Heroic Age described by Homer with kings like Achilles, Agamemnon and Odysseus. The times discussed here are also known as the Transitional Age and precedes the Classical Age. The Bronze Age did carry on until the Iron Age which basically means the arrival of the Romans in that part of the world. That time of around 1200 BC was certainly one of a lot of warfare and turmoil compared to the relative peace of earlier times and I suppose you could call it a kind of collapse but a) later times were also Bronze Age and b) there were other Bronze Age collapses around the Med, etc., that were not related.

As Wolfhnd indicates, there was one in Britain. I suppose, when we are getting the large picture and struggling with that, we are missing details in the process. We go back and pick up those later. I just checked Alexander the Great. That was long before his time even.

Was it Susan Bauer who wrote History of the Ancient World? I had some problems with that book but it was basically good. I must do some reviewing.

Thanks much.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on January 6th, 2015, 3:57 pm 

About 800 years before Plato, Socrates, etc., too.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 6th, 2015, 4:02 pm 

I just found the Wiki article, plus many others. That will keep me busy, as if I weren't already.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Eclogite on January 7th, 2015, 5:47 am 

In three thousand years time someone may write words to this effect:

Europe, in the last two centuries of the second millennium, was passing through what some have called The Industrial Revolution. Despite some important advances in technology this was a time when there was rampant inequality, suppression of human rights, political upheaval and destructive warfare on an almost routine basis. Superficial attempts at cooperation simply transformed deep seated antagonisms into damaging political and economic confrontations, based as they were upon quaint understandings of human psychology.

Do we feel a phrase such as "The Collapse of the Bronze Age" can offer anything more substantial or significant than my one paragraph summary from the future? I think not.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Return to Archaeology