What is the term or phase scientists or engineers use

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

What is the term or phase scientists or engineers use

Postby spacebar on September 15th, 2015, 6:04 pm 

to describe how different cultures throughout the world all jointly adopted the pyramidal shape independently in order to build up?

You'd occasionally hear it concisely summed up in a term or phrase in pyramid documentaries. I can't think of it.

There's like a one or two word phrase that sums up the principle.

Anyone remember? Thanks.
spacebar
Forum Neophyte

Re: What is the term or phase scientists or engineers use

Postby Natural ChemE on September 15th, 2015, 6:21 pm 

spacebar,

Great question! To categorize, I've moved this thread from Anything Science to Archaeology.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

spacebar liked this post

Postby Braininvat on September 15th, 2015, 6:26 pm 

The term I've heard is parallel development.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

spacebar liked this post

Postby spacebar on September 15th, 2015, 8:10 pm 

Natural ChemE » September 15th, 2015, 5:21 pm wrote:spacebar,

Great question! .

Isn't it? I find I am just full of them. ;)
spacebar
Forum Neophyte

Postby spacebar on September 15th, 2015, 8:14 pm 

Braininvat » September 15th, 2015, 5:26 pm wrote:The term I've heard is parallel development.

That sounds about right. Maybe the full phrase that escapes me is "independent parallel development"?

Thanks.
Last edited by spacebar on September 15th, 2015, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacebar
Forum Neophyte

Postby Natural ChemE on September 15th, 2015, 8:21 pm 

Braininvat » September 15th, 2015, 5:26 pm wrote:The term I've heard is parallel development.

Sounds about right.

While this is about cultures as opposed to biological organisms, I think that the same terminology can apply:
If we adapt this system, I'd guess something like "convergent development". This term could refer to something like, "a culture that did not build pyramids split into multiple cultures which independently began building pyramids". This analogy looks at cultures at a particular time as organisms, and then later cultures (including the "same" culture at later times) as its descendants.

Alternatively, we could look at development as a continuous trait (rather than an evolutionary mechanism). Then cultures that came to evolve pyramid building would have had the same development process, making "parallel development" more appropriate.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

spacebar liked this post

Postby spacebar on September 15th, 2015, 8:25 pm 

Natural ChemE » September 15th, 2015, 7:21 pm wrote:

Sounds about right.

While this is about cultures as opposed to biological organisms, I think that the same terminology can apply:
If we adapt this system, I'd guess something like "convergent development". This term could refer to something like, "a culture that did not build pyramids split into multiple cultures which independently began building pyramids".

Also useable. Thank you.
spacebar
Forum Neophyte

Postby CanadysPeak on September 16th, 2015, 6:48 am 

I should think inevitable would best say it. Anyone who stacks anything builds pyramids until he becomes skilled.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Ursa Minimus on September 16th, 2015, 7:35 am 

CanadysPeak » September 16th, 2015, 4:48 am wrote:I should think inevitable would best say it. Anyone who stacks anything builds pyramids until he becomes skilled.

Given piles of sand, rock, etc and the "angle of repose" in nature, inevitable fits for me. Copying nature is pretty common, and leads to similar results across cultures. Animal masks would be another example I think. The lean-to shelter mimics a fallen tree caught in another tree in many ways.

But as has been said, parallel development would be the term for this, with the "independent" implied if not explicit. It is also a sign of lazy (but not necessarily bad) world building in a science fiction story most every time.
Ursa Minimus

Postby BioWizard on September 16th, 2015, 7:59 am 

The term for science is "multiple discovery". Though that one also implies simultaneity or near simultaneity.

Otherwise, I agree that "parallel discovery" or "parallel development" fit the bill.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby spacebar on September 16th, 2015, 9:36 am 

Ursa Minimus » September 16th, 2015, 6:35 am wrote:
CanadysPeak » September 16th, 2015, 4:48 am wrote:I should think inevitable would best say it. Anyone who stacks anything builds pyramids until he becomes skilled.

But as has been said, parallel development would be the term for this, with the "independent" implied if not explicit. It is also a sign of lazy (but not necessarily bad) world building in a science fiction story most every time.

I totally agree with you on the phrase. As for its use in scifi, I'll bite. Why would it be lazy in scifi if it happens in real life?
spacebar
Forum Neophyte

Postby Ursa Minimus on September 16th, 2015, 11:50 am 

spacebar » September 16th, 2015, 7:36 am wrote:I totally agree with you on the phrase. As for its use in scifi, I'll bite. Why would it be lazy in scifi if it happens in real life?

Three words: Nazis.... in space!

Do you have enough information to write a story now? Pretty much, just take some historical event, change some names to Zorg and K'Th'gr, guns to blasters, invasions of planets like Pol and Phranss, and start slapping words on a page.
Ursa Minimus

spacebar liked this post

Postby CanadysPeak on September 16th, 2015, 2:40 pm 

Ursa Minimus » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:35 am wrote:

Given piles of sand, rock, etc and the "angle of repose" in nature, inevitable fits for me. Copying nature is pretty common, and leads to similar results across cultures. Animal masks would be another example I think. The lean-to shelter mimics a fallen tree caught in another tree in many ways.

Good point. The classic roof slanted toward the weather side is a great example of the fallen tree/leanto/tent scenario. Thanks.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Return to Archaeology