Life came from everywhere and anywhere

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

Life came from everywhere and anywhere

Postby vivian maxine on December 13th, 2015, 8:28 am 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 145038.htm

Birds arose in South America 90 million years ago and migrated to other continents. (from Science Daily).

This is the second article I have seen in a week that puts life on the American continents so long ago. The other was only 100,000 years ago but still a long while. 90 million years is a far larger stretch.

These articles seem to (note the "seem to") uphold my very biased opinion that life came into existence on several separate places independently of each other.

I know it is said that birds evolved from dinosaurs. Now I am wondering where the oldest dinosaur fossils have been found and how old they were. Can anyone provide that answer?

Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Life came from everywhere and anywhere

Postby Braininvat on December 13th, 2015, 11:33 am 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ischigualasto_Formation

Per Nat Geo, the oldest Sauropodomorphs have been found here, in Argentina.

But they reported a fragmentary find in Madagascar, too, which is of similar age.

230 MY ago, those spots may have been closer to each other...Continental drift, y'know.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on December 13th, 2015, 11:51 am 

Thank you. More North American evidence. I assume that when they find a "fragment", they do prove (insofar as possible) that where they found it is it's original burial site. But it just occurs to me that so far back that would almost have had to be the original burial, wouldn't it? I was for a moment thinking of how people like to pick up and carry things. That would not have happened 230 MY ago, would it?

Thank you for the link. I'll do some reading. Who knows. Maybe we'll some day find that it was Out of America to Africa. Probably not but....? Of course, my friend in Australia will argue with both ideas. :-)

P. S. I like that "wind-eroded" sphinx. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on December 13th, 2015, 12:41 pm 

IIRC, the earth's landmasses were all in one piece, at that time, the supercontinent called Pangaea. So Africa and SA were one single southern region of Pangaea. Later, when the bird species arose, 90 MY back, Pangaea had split up.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on December 13th, 2015, 12:55 pm 

Braininvat » December 13th, 2015, 11:41 am wrote:IIRC, the earth's landmasses were all in one piece, at that time, the supercontinent called Pangaea. So Africa and SA were one single southern region of Pangaea. Later, when the bird species arose, 90 MY back, Pangaea had split up.

I can never remember all those times back when. Do you know the book by Nigel Calder called "Time Scale - an atlas of the Fourth Dimension"? It is a great book and he carries a time line along the bottom of the pages as he goes along. That's a great help in keeping the picture flowing.

Been a while since I read that. Should find time to try it again. He has written others that sound equally good. Wonder if they are still in print.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Archaeology