Alan Watts

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

Alan Watts

Postby BadgerJelly on June 22nd, 2016, 2:51 am 

Just wondering about this guy. Someone mentioned him to me in regards to Eastern thought and "religion".

If you are familiar please site a good book of his to read. I have looked on amazon briefly, but the books appear on the surface not to be the work of a scholar.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Alan Watts

Postby jocular on June 22nd, 2016, 9:47 am 

No idea if he was a scholar (but at a guess he might well have been) but his books did make a big splash around 1970 if my recollection is worth anything

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts
jocular

Postby Braininvat on June 22nd, 2016, 10:02 am 

I recall pulling "Nature Man and Woman" off a used book vendor shelf when I was mid-teens. At that age, I was so preoccupied with the woman part that I didn't really absorb the rest.

why are we in archaeology? :-/
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 22nd, 2016, 11:58 am 

Anthropology
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on June 22nd, 2016, 3:28 pm 

BadgerJelly » June 22nd, 2016, 1:51 am wrote:Just wondering about this guy. Someone mentioned him to me in regards to Eastern thought and "religion".

If you are familiar please site a good book of his to read. I have looked on amazon briefly, but the books appear on the surface not to be the work of a scholar.

Badger, I don't know if a bit of background means anything but I can give you this from The Best Guide to Eastern Philosophy and Religion" by Diane Morgan.

page 169 (Zen and other Japanese Schools) <<The greatest popularizer of Rinzai Zen in the West was Daisetz Suzuki (1850-1966)...Suzuki never received the formal dharma transmission that authorizes one officially to pass on Zen teachings...Suzuki was especially important for his influence on critical European and American thinkers and artists: Alan Watts, Allen Ginsberg, Aldous Huxley, Arnold Toynbee, Carl Jung, Erich Fromm...John Cage...Thomas Merton.>>

page 171 (same chapter) <<A major exponent of Zen in the West was Alan Watts (1915-1973), although he never formally accepted its teachings. Technically, he wasn't even a Buddhist, although his classic work, The Way of Zen, introduced millions of people to this way of thought. Watts was born British, although he immigrated to the United States in 1936 and became a citizen in 1943. He had three wives, seven children and a lot of fun with LSD, Timothy Leary, and Allen Ginsberg.

Besides The Way of Zen, another book of his that is listed is Zen Practice, Zen Art. No date is given for either of these. However, it does give us a phone number for ordering from Renaissance Books: 1-800-452-5589.

"The Way..." is listed at $18.95. "Zen Practice..." is listed at $9.95. These are prices in 2001.

Hope this helps a bit. At least, it is a picture of how he helped spread the ideas of Zen as praticed in Japan.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby DragonFly on June 23rd, 2016, 11:33 pm 

YouTube has a bunch of his videos.
DragonFly
Resident Member

Return to Archaeology