The Human Brain

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

The Human Brain

Postby BadgerJelly on October 8th, 2016, 1:38 am 

This is something I have been drawn too a few times.

Wolf recently mentioned how our brains have shrank.

I want to know what evidence there is for this? Also does a smaller size mean smaller mass? And given the differences in neurons there are situations where I would argue that the type of neuron matters just as much as the number of neurons.

What is your take on this? Are we domesticating ourselves into a stupor?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: The Human Brain

Postby BadgerJelly on October 10th, 2016, 2:29 am 

Maybe this link outlines the topic better:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-have-our-brains-started-to-shrink/

Having had an interest in language maybe this is something to factor into the equation too? New borns exposed to multiple languages have larger brain masses.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on October 10th, 2016, 6:26 am 

BadgerJelly » October 8th, 2016, 12:38 am wrote:This is something I have been drawn too a few times.

Wolf recently mentioned how our brains have shrank.

I want to know what evidence there is for this? Also does a smaller size mean smaller mass? And given the differences in neurons there are situations where I would argue that the type of neuron matters just as much as the number of neurons.

What is your take on this? Are we domesticating ourselves into a stupor?

Or, in the process of evolution, maybe our brains have just become more efficient in a smaller size. Dare I compare it to computers which started out massive in size and are now too small to believe they can do what they do. If I'm allowed an opinion, I doubt size has anything to do with it. Mass, maybe.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on October 10th, 2016, 11:09 am 

In the link above it is talking about decrease in size in terms of relative mass. It does sound like no one really knows why our brains have gotten smaller and all we have to go on are comparisons to other species and what little we know about brain development in relation to cognitive capacity.

I am unsure about what the actual data is? Are they saying 10,000 ago the average human skull was bigger? How much evidence is there to draw such conclusions?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Archaeology