The Mormon God is a physical man

Theology, Religious Studies, religion, god, faith and other topics of a spiritual nature.

The Mormon God is a physical man

Postby Alan McDougall on May 19th, 2017, 12:10 am 

I find it difficult to accept a God that is a physical man, albeit exalted from another plnet in the universe.

Who are what then created the universe?

Who or what created the Mormon God.

The Morom god is not Almighty God and the Mormon Jesus is not Jesus.

In fact the Mormon Jesus is the love child of the Moron God
Alan McDougall
Banned User

Re: The Mormon God is a physical man

Postby mitchellmckain on May 21st, 2017, 3:42 pm 

Alan McDougall » May 18th, 2017, 11:10 pm wrote:I find it difficult to accept a God that is a physical man, albeit exalted from another plnet in the universe.

Agreed. But neither do I like a God defined too strictly by power and control. I see the need for balance on this issue. A God who is technically just an alien even a "human alien" like those in the film Jupiter Rising is definitely not what I would call God. My reaction is likely to be a lot like Captain Kirk when he confronted Apollo. Theology generally terms this spectrum "low God" versus "high God." Too low and God is like an alien, but too high and it becomes hard to imagine this being having anything to do with us. I see high God theologies, which emphasize the sovereignty and holy purity of God, as being a step backwards from Christianity, which brings God down to Earth in Jesus as someone who capable of being one of us human beings, and even hobnobbing with the greatest sinners.

The fact is that I think that high God theologies often go so far that they actually bring God down.
1. They emphasize the sovereignty of God until he becomes a control freak incapable of letting anyone or anything but Himself make any choices of significance. Such theologies tend to human concerns and values practically meaningless and instead make everything about satisfying peculiarly human-like motivations of their god like a desire for his own glory.
2. They make the universe so dependent upon God that it makes the universe effectively no different than a dream or figment of divine imagination. And then you have to ask if their god is thus incapable of real creation -- the creation of something existing apart from himself, or is their god just capable of dreaming --not so much different from human beings after all.
3. When absolute power (and knowledge) becomes the defining feature of God in their theology then their god becomes a creature shackled to power and incapable of some simple human abilities like taking risks, making sacrifices, having faith, giving privacy -- indeed I would say incapable of love. This is easily seen in their answer to the conundrum, "can God make a rock so heavy that even He cannot lift it." They say no and thus limit their god by this power requirement of their theology. But I say yes, and thus believe in a God whose omnipotence includes a power over Himeself -- the most important power of all, I think.

Alan McDougall » May 18th, 2017, 11:10 pm wrote:Who are what then created the universe?

I may not see any merit in the cosmological arguments coming from this belief that God created everything, but I agree that this role of ultimate creator is somewhat central to the Christian belief in God.
mitchellmckain

Return to Religion