What is the soul.

Theology, Religious Studies, religion, god, faith and other topics of a spiritual nature.

What is the soul.

Postby MrMikeludo on August 9th, 2017, 4:41 pm 

What is the soul?
MrMikeludo

Re: What is the soul.

Postby mitchellmckain on August 9th, 2017, 7:43 pm 

Since I don't personally use that word very much I google it, and the definition it gives is the following...

the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

I do believe in a spiritual part of living things but I would not call it immaterial. However, I do equate the word "spiritual" with non-physical, so if that is what you mean by immaterial... I also think the spirit is capable of immortality but not necessarily so. To explain let me first quote the six principles of my metaphysics of spirit.

1. First it is presumed that everything is a form of the same basic universal stuff which can be refered to as pre-energy or the substance/poteniality of being itself. The reason for this is two things which we have learned from science. The first is that this has more explanatory power by providing a better basis for rationally explaining the difference between things. The second is the way that energy dissolves the difference between thing and action since both matter and motion are forms of energy. However, we refrain from presuming that what science calls energy and this universal substance of all things are the same, but suppose instead that physical energy is a particular form of this substance of being itself.

2. Spiritual things differ from physical things in the following manner. Physical things are all a part of a single space-time mathematical structure. They have their existence and nature by their mathematical relationship to the whole, and because of this they are confined to the laws of nature which are an effect of this mathematical structure. Spiritual things are not a part of this structure and are thus not bound by these laws of nature.

3. The objective evidence suggests the relationship between a person's mind/body and their spirit is epiphenomenal for the most part. In other words, the interaction is going almost entirely one way from the choices we make as physical living organisms to the creation of the form of the spirit. The time when we could believe in spirits operating physical bodies like puppets is long past. Interaction the other way is not ruled out entirely but it must be something far more rare and subtle than what many religious people have often implied.

4. Spiritual things are not a part of any structure of laws by necessity. They have their existence from their own nature alone and thus they can only be effected by their own nature and not by any external force. Relationship with other spirits is only possible when such relationship have become part of their own nature, and only to the extent to which it has become a part of them. Each spirit can thus be said to be like universe of its own. Or equivalently, it can be said that the physical universe is itself like a singular spirit.

5. The spirits of living things are a product of the choices these living things make in the living of their lives. Anything we have by nature and which are given to us through no choice of our own is not who we truly are but only circumstances in which our choices are made. Only the actual choices we make ourselves form the spirit which is our truest self. This origin for the spirit of physical living things does not exclude the possibility of other types of spirit such as God, a self-existing infinite spirit, and other spirits created for a purpose or perhaps even some created by human imagination.

6. One of the principle ways in which people define themselves by their own choices and thus create their spiritual form, is by how they treat others like themselves. What does it take for them to see a common ground and have regard for others? If it is only some triviality like race, gender, or belief then all the other things such as intelligence, creativity and love which they also have in common with them are by their own choices excluded from importance in their own identity and thus diminished in their spiritual existence. But you might suggest that they could value only their own intelligence, creativity and love. But that means they do not value these things in general but only to the extent in which these things benefit them -- so they have no more value than such things as food, warmth, or a convenient rock to bash over the head of victims to acquire food.

Whether the spirit is alive, dead, immortal, or self-destructive, depends on its own particular nature from the choices which created it. It is the nature of living things to grow and to learn and thus the spirit of living things tend to have this nature as well. If so they need to find the means to grow and to learn in order to be alive, which can be difficult if they haven't make connections within themselves needed for this. It is also possible for people in particular to reject the challenges of life and embrace self-destructive habits and death. In that case they have adopted a nature which tears themselves down rather than builds themselves up. Clearly such a nature does not promise immortality.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on August 9th, 2017, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby MrMikeludo on August 9th, 2017, 7:53 pm 

mitchellmckain » August 9th, 2017, 7:43 pm wrote:Since I don't personally use that word very much I google it, and the definition it gives is the following...

the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

What "word" do you use?
MrMikeludo

Postby mitchellmckain on August 9th, 2017, 8:05 pm 

MrMikeludo » August 9th, 2017, 6:53 pm wrote:
mitchellmckain » August 9th, 2017, 7:43 pm wrote:Since I don't personally use that word very much I google it, and the definition it gives is the following...

What "word" do you use?

"spirit"

P.S. I wasn't finished above when you responded. I had accidentally pushed the submit when I was not done.
mitchellmckain

Return to Religion