Are you an Atheist?

Theology, Religious Studies, religion, god, faith and other topics of a spiritual nature.

Are you an Atheist?

Postby Alan McDougall on May 23rd, 2017, 4:17 pm 

Are you an an atheist then look at this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLdbM3lpiE
Alan McDougall
Banned User

Re: Are you an Atheist?

Postby mitchellmckain on May 23rd, 2017, 4:55 pm 

Is there a question more likely to get an answer of, "no thank you."

If I don't believe in YOUR god, am I an atheist even though I believe in a god rather different than yours?

Most atheists I have talked to simply don't believe in a particular god that has been pushed on them as a child.

Many atheists simply don't believe in any of the various gods they have heard about, but might be open to some idea of a god if they thought that one at least made a little sense and agreed with the evidence. In fact there are many who have found a definition of the word "god" which they would be agreeable to believing in.

Of course, there are also many atheists who don't like the whole idea of a "god," and reject them all on principle. But then you really need to look closer at what ideas they are actually rejecting, because I usually find that I reject them also. For example...
1. The idea that the creator/origin of the universe ought to be worshipped for that reason alone.
2. The idea that an ultimate authority is required for morality to be dictated by it.
3. There is the idea of a supernatural being which can be appeased or appealed to in some way in order to get something we want.
mitchellmckain

Postby thehedglin on May 28th, 2017, 6:06 pm 

Um, no thank you. Every atheist I have ever talked to is aware of NDE's and whatnot, and they do not pose a single significant problem to atheism. It is also rather humorous that one would think NDE's are "proof" or "evidence" of a god, considering they are HEAVILY influenced by region and culture. Atheists in India might meet Vishnu or Brahman in a NDE, and that does nothing for Hinduism either...
thehedglin
Forum Neophyte

Postby -1- on July 21st, 2018, 6:34 am 

What's an NDE? Your post, TheHedglin, is completely meaningless without knowing that and I am one who does not know what NDE stands for.

NEVER assume others can see into your mind.
-1-
Forum Neophyte

Postby Braininvat on July 21st, 2018, 11:55 am 

It's a commonly used abbreviation for Near Death Experience. IIRC, Kubler-Ross coined the term in her study of NDEs.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby -1- on July 21st, 2018, 4:25 pm 

Thanks. What does IIRC stand for?

This can go on for ever. I wish to live in a world where people are not too lazy to spend three more seconds or fewer in typing out full expressions to avoid confusion in their readers.

To you NDE and IIRC may be common acronyms, but to me they are completely brand new. I've never seen them anywhere. And I'm 64 years of age. So... what is common,and what is not... how long is a string. There must be a measure of common, otherwise it is an empty descriptor.

I suggest we accept as a common acronym those which the spell checker does not underline with a squiggly red line. TV, OK, US, etc.
-1-
Forum Neophyte

Postby Braininvat on July 21st, 2018, 5:23 pm 

If you are new to the Internet, then those acronyms may be worth learning. A few seconds searching on Google will generally give you a quick answer. IIRC = If I recall correctly. Those of us typing on tablets or smart phones, with slow thumbs, find Net acronyms pretty useful. Best not to join a website and immediately start assuming people are "lazy. " Or wishing the world were just how you'd like it to be. Best of luck.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby -1- on July 22nd, 2018, 12:59 am 

Look... I'm 64. I've paid my dues. I am not going to sit down and learn a whole bunch of phrases by their acronyms.

The easiest thing out of this stalemate of lazy typists and an ignorant old man is for me to quit the site.

Which I am doing with glee after this very moment.

Forget me. I was here, and I'm now gone. Good bye.
-1-
Forum Neophyte

Postby mitchellmckain on July 23rd, 2018, 9:24 pm 

Sounds like....

An old dog won't learn new tricks.
mitchellmckain

Return to Religion