How science is compatible with religion/philosophy/etc.

Theology, Religious Studies, religion, god, faith and other topics of a spiritual nature.

How science is compatible with religion/philosophy/etc.

Postby thinker4life on July 4th, 2017, 2:19 pm 

I wrote a paper on why I believe science is compatible with religion, spirituality, and theoretical philosophy. I'd love feedback in the form of comments on the google doc where there are questions/suggestions/feedback (both positive and constructive). Please let me know your thoughts if the topic is of interest to you... I think using this paper we can have religious people and scientists get along again, at least that's my hope. Let me know if it makes sense to you.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yD7qIHoMOvwIA0E8b1qzy0Za1HeooueV7nm2k_qlrUs/edit
thinker4life

Re: How science is compatible with religion/philosophy/etc.

Postby mitchellmckain on July 4th, 2017, 4:37 pm 

Not all religion is compatible with logic, science, or the ideals of a free society -- all of which I would require for it to be called rational. But I am an example of a scientist who found value in not only religion in general, but Christianity in particular. But you should understand what that means. Science is part of the way that perceive the world -- an extension of sight. So I would not even consider religion in conflict with science. I automatically discard anything incompatible with science as essentially unintelligible.

But, I also defend atheism as equally rational. I see the spiritual side of reality as being totally within the subjective part of life, but would say that life cannot be objective observation only but requires subjective participation also. So to the atheist I will frankly agree that a belief in God has no epistemological superiority over a belief in fairies, Santa Claus, UFOs, ghosts, and the healing power of crystals. None of these (including atheism) have the slightest bit of objective evidence to support them. But it is demonstrable that you can know things without the slightest bit of objective evidence available, and so the lack of objective evidence doesn't mean it isn't true or even that you cannot know it to be true. It just means that you cannot reasonably expect others to agree with you on such matters, and thus a diversity of belief must be accepted.
mitchellmckain

Re: How science is compatible with religion/philosophy/etc.

Postby thinker4life on July 4th, 2017, 8:11 pm 

mitchellmckain » July 4th, 2017, 3:37 pm wrote:Not all religion is compatible with logic, science, or the ideals of a free society -- all of which I would require for it to be called rational. But I am an example of a scientist who found value in not only religion in general, but Christianity in particular. But you should understand what that means. Science is part of the way that perceive the world -- an extension of sight. So I would not even consider religion in conflict with science. I automatically discard anything incompatible with science as essentially unintelligible.

But, I also defend atheism as equally rational. I see the spiritual side of reality as being totally within the subjective part of life, but would say that life cannot be objective observation only but requires subjective participation also. So to the atheist I will frankly agree that a belief in God has no epistemological superiority over a belief in fairies, Santa Claus, UFOs, ghosts, and the healing power of crystals. None of these (including atheism) have the slightest bit of objective evidence to support them. But it is demonstrable that you can know things without the slightest bit of objective evidence available, and so the lack of objective evidence doesn't mean it isn't true or even that you cannot know it to be true. It just means that you cannot reasonably expect others to agree with you on such matters, and thus a diversity of belief must be accepted.

Hi Mitch,

I'm not claiming that all religion is compatible with logic, science, or the ideals of a free society right now, I'm claiming that it can be... And I'm claiming this specifically if people approach religion as you do -- When science is good at answering a question, let it answer the question... when it's not, rely on spirituality, religion, or (for atheists) theoretical philosophy.

I also agree with you that when you leave the realm of science that consensus is no longer mandatory... Its ok to agree to disagree in this realm... These questions don't have a consistently provably true answer... They are subjective by nature, so we need to accept other's for coming to their own conclusions, and accept ourselves for coming to our conclusions... I encourage people to listen to others and learn what they can from them, and be open to changing their minds if they hear of a better paradigm/answer, because I think that will help us all strive to find a better answer, but at the end of the day if people feel they have done that and have come to the conclusion they have I think we should accept them for it.

We seem to be agreeing with each other, but let me know if you feel differently.

Kind regards,
Garrett
thinker4life

Return to Religion