The choice between power and love

Theology, Religious Studies, religion, god, faith and other topics of a spiritual nature.

The choice between power and love

Postby mitchellmckain on April 7th, 2018, 10:30 pm 

Today I watched the Da Vinci Code for the second or third time (and yes I have read the book several times also). And some may wonder what a Christian can see of value in such a film (and yet remain a Christian still).

I see two gods (whether supernatural or only in the imaginations of human beings -- it does not really matter) fighting for influence in human affairs (particularly religion). One values love and freedom, while the other values only power and control. Only the former would create life. The latter would only create robots or machines, for living creatures do things for their own reasons and thus do not serve the purpose of power and control very well. If there is already life, then the latter would destroy it, crushing any freedom of will in order to turn living creatures into robots and machines. Even if only in the imagination, these gods still influence human behavior accordingly -- either promoting life, or crushing it for the purpose of power. It is the ultimate guerilla warfare transcending all lines of human organization with a battle of ideas and human motivation. So however much people would like to put their religion or alignment on one side or the other, there is no truth in this. There are atheists fighting for love and life against Christians consumed with lust for power and control, just as there are Christians fighting for love and life against atheists who care only for power and control themselves.

You can find these gods in the rhetoric of either side. When the Christian theology is all about obedience and the dire threats of God's vengence, then it is the Christian who values only power and control. He says that God cannot create a rock so heavy that God cannot lift it, because that would be contradiction in terms. But the only contradiction is with a god who only values power and control and thus would never ever do anything to limit its own power. When the atheist is all about material laws, what is measurable, the survival of the fittest, and the uncaring universe, then it is the atheist who values only power and control. He pushes the problem of evil and suffering as a proof against the existence of God because he cannot conceive of any being with unlimited power ever giving free choices to others to let them do other than what he thinks is right.

I have little doubt that many Christians would call me an atheist and it is true that I do not believe in their god of power and control. But then I would call them devil worshippers, for this god they worship, demanding blind obedience and ruling by fear has the character of a devil no matter what name they plaster over it.

For some time now I have been contemplating this thing called power. In many ways it may seem central to life, for from the moment conception we are embarked on the task of gaining one power or another: the power to think, the power to breath and eat, the power to walk, and the power of speech, and so on. Learning is the very nature of life and knowledge is power and thus it easy to conclude that life itself is power. And it is true. It is the very reason the god of power and control would not create life, for to do so is to give up power to another. Thus, the above described war between deities is not about making and exclusive choice, but rather about priorities. Clearly it is natural for living things to seek power, but to make this ones god is to seek power for its own sake and put this above all other things -- only then would I say it becomes a thing of evil. For then it is only logical that might makes right -- which could be said to be the very philosophy of evil itself.

Some come to realize that in many ways power doesn't really matter. What we do with whatever power we have is far more important. And the most important things in life are not things accomplished with power anyway. This often leads to the somewhat confused phrase, "the power of love," from the idea that love can accomplish things which other things cannot. But I think this is a contradiction in terms, derived largely from those who call their manipulations of others by the name of love. It is too much of this in a person's life that causes them to equate "love" and the use of this word with no more than manipulation. So, I would assert that the moment something becomes a means of power then it ceases to be anything authentically described by the word "love." It is true that love can move people greatly. But it is only love because it isn't about controling people and remaking them into what you think they should be. Unlike power, love cherishes life and the freedom to become what one chooses for oneself.

As I contemplate the film (Da Vinci Code), I cannot help but feel that this power people are fighting over is nothing but an illusion, as indeed most manipulations are. Ultimately the truth proves itself and all their lies come to nothing in the end.
mitchellmckain

Return to Religion