What is God's purpose for humans and the earth?

Theology, Religious Studies, religion, god, faith and other topics of a spiritual nature.

What is God's purpose for humans and the earth?

Postby mitchellmckain on May 24th, 2018, 1:24 pm 

This is from flyby named Glenny who sent me a question via PM.

mitchellmckain wrote:
Glenny wrote:May I ask you a question about God since you have a Master's Degree of Divinity?

"Thanks," -1 Thess. 5:18.
Glen

Sure, you can ask my opinion. But of course, since we are talking about subjective beliefs, a diversity of opinion is natural and unavoidable, so it should be expected that people will disagree and, in fact, an expectation that people should agree with you is unreasonable, because there is no objective proof.

Of course... I may very well think that I am right. Most people do. But, perhaps I can give a good argument why I think I am correct.

Glenny wrote:What have you been taught, and believe, on the following: What is God's purpose for humans and the earth?

"May your peace grow great!" -Daniel 4:1.
Glen the friend

I believe in a moral God. Power counts for nothing to me and if power is the only reason you are worshiping a being then you might as well be worshiping the devil. The devil is all about a lust for power and domination of others through fear by using that power -- at least, any being who employs such a means would be called a devil by me. The creation of the universe, by itself, is just a demonstration of power and so an evil Demiurge attributed with creating the universe would not have my worship either. I will not be a craven worm, groveling to a creature of evil just because he has power to make my existence miserable. Like Albert Camus in "The Myth of Sissyphus," defying a creature of evil no matter what the punishment and no matter how hopeless, is all the reward I need.

There is only ONE moral reason for creating life, because suffering is a unavoidable part of being alive. That reason is love. Only the unreserved offer of love can justify the suffering which naturally comes with being alive. When that is your reason for creating life then the natural comparison to make with human life is that of a good parent in giving life to a child, who does so in order to offer the child his/her love. That is love I see demonstrated to mankind in the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth, showing that God will give anything -- pay any price for a restoration of his children to Him.

And while I consider above, for the sake of argument, the possibility of an evil Demiurge creating the universe, I don't believe that is the case. I see in the laws of nature a clear intent to create life. Life doesn't suit the purpose of a tool very well. Why in the world would you want a hammer or a saw with freedom to decide it doesn't want to do its job -- it is absurd. Thus I can only see one logical reason for creating life and that is precisely the same as the only moral reason for creating life, which is to give your love to the children you have given life to.
mitchellmckain

Re: What is God's purpose for humans and the earth?

Postby mitchellmckain on May 26th, 2018, 5:14 pm 

Of course, this wasn't the kind of answer Glenny was looking for. When you are pushing a religion that is all about manipulation and power over others, then the only reason to ask this question about God's purpose for human and the earth is a hook into telling people what to do. So their typical answer is that God's purpose is all about serving Him and of course that means following "His" organization who are ready to tell you how to do this.

Naturally, I am all about pulling such hooks out of religion whenever and however possible. So it is hardly a surprise that my answer left him a little high and dry as far as his agenda was concerned.

His reply was...
Respectfully, I think you're on a tangent. The answer to my original question is found at Psalm 37:29. If you're interested in qualifying for life on earth as outlined in Psalm 37:29 please write back. Otherwise, have a nice day.

Psalm 37:29???
The righteous will inherit the land and dwell in it forever.

Oh boy! What happened to the original question? It seems to have shifted from God's purpose for mankind and the Earth to rewards for being a good little soldier. Clearly understanding God's motivation is not what Glenny was interested in, but rather how to employ a set of promises (and no doubts the threats would come later as well) in order to make people obey the dictates of his organization.
mitchellmckain

Re: What is God's purpose for humans and the earth?

Postby hyksos on May 26th, 2018, 10:43 pm 

Clearly understanding God's motivation is not what Glenny was interested in, but rather how to employ a set of promises (and no doubts the threats would come later as well) in order to make people obey the dictates of his organization.

It's amazing. It's like they haven't learned anything at all , even at the deepest level.
hyksos

Return to Religion