Where Do Your Morals Come From

Discussions that deal with moral issues. Key questions in ethics include: How should one live? What is right (or wrong) to do? What is the best way for humans to live?

Where Do Your Morals Come From

Postby edy420 on October 16th, 2020, 4:51 am 

I draw mine from the Bible.

I had a pretty rough child hood. When I was agnostic, there were many moral issues I was confused on. Growing up I learned to act before thinking. Then I learned to think before I act... only.. I still made the wrong choices. I often wonder, how have I not been to prison yet.

This website has helped me shape much of my thinking. Either reaffirming or forcing me to rethink my thoughts on a subject. Sometimes still, I would have my doubts.

Now that I have faith, I can appreciate that I know exactly what my morals are, and how to make decisions. I have a literal hand book. A blue print of a moral foundation. Sometimes I don't agree, but that is where faith comes in.

Where do your morals come from...
Mostly from your parents? Law? Another religion, or teachers/school. Have you just invented your own moral code, or do you calculate moral in/justice on the fly?
edy420

Re: Where Do Your Morals Come From

Postby charon on October 16th, 2020, 4:57 am 

I have no morality, which doesn't mean I have no morality.
charon
Resident Member

Postby edy420 on October 16th, 2020, 5:18 am 

If you make a decision, then you have morality.

Even something as mundane as deciding whether you want to eat ice cream, is based on your personal health morals.

With progressives like the "far left", I have to wonder if they draw their morals from the Bible also. Only, they purposely build a moralistic model that is the exact opposite of the fundamental guidelines fervently promoted. I wonder if this is a legitimate assumption, as I used to assume that all atheists built their morals based on their upbringing.

Perhaps most people build their moral model, based on their life experiences, unless they actively put some thought on what is/not acceptable with any topic. I don't know.
edy420

Postby charon on October 16th, 2020, 8:27 am 

People who need a morality don't know themselves. There are lots of moralities in the world, all contradicting each other in various ways. We don't need to be told to be kind, or not to lie, cheat and steal by a book.

Besides, we've already been told by books, including yours, for a thousand years and look at the world! Nobody gives a hoot, they all do what they want from the top down - especially from the top.

So you have a dichotomy, your actual behaviour and urges versus what the book says. So you're caught between the truth of what you are, feel and do and some text you've put your faith in. You think the text is more important than yourself, which isn't true.

In any case, morality, or being moral, isn't following a book even if that book says all the right things. If you repress what you are and obey the rule of the book that's not morality. It's fear that causes one to obey.

Freedom is more important than any book and as long as one depends on being guided and told what to do there's no freedom.
charon
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on October 16th, 2020, 12:15 pm 

If you have convictions, you base principles for how you act on those convictions, whether you organize those principles into a coherent moral code or not, whether you have articulated and named it or not, everybody has some ethical underpinnings for how they relate to the world.

Most people don't know where their convictions come from. Though they may conveniently attribute their sense of right and wrong to a creed, an ideology, a culture or a tradition, no personal moral system is from a single source: it grows, adapts, changes and evolves with a person's life experience. For example, you may hear people give credit for their own sound judgment to a parent or mentor - but on reflection, they may actually have discarded some of that mentor's attitudes and replaced them with readings or discussion or personal insight. They may attribute their principles to a religion, but in reality, they obey those rules quite selectively.

We all have a basic emotional approach to the world which is formed by our needs and temperament, but our thinking is constantly influenced by other people.
Serpent
Resident Member

charon liked this post

Postby charon on October 16th, 2020, 12:57 pm 

Yes, that's absolutely right. Mind you, one look at the world and one wonders where these folks with morality are. We may be conditioned to a particular morality but that's different. The trouble with that is it doubtless conflicts with another person's or culture's morality.

In an amoral world, which this is, it's fairly easy to attach oneself to some belief or other and profess virtue but that's not morality.
charon
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on October 16th, 2020, 2:11 pm 

But that's because there is no standard of right and wrong.
Living things have needs. The needs increase in complexity along with the complexity of the organism.
It eventually becomes impossible to fulfill all of an individual's needs at the same time, in any particular environment, so the organism migrates to different environments, prioritizes its requirements and periodically redirects its efforts to the fulfillment of one need, then another, until it achieves a sustainable balance.
Social organisms have to do the same complex calculation in order to balance the various needs of individual members, one against another, for the stability of the group.
That's all a morality, creed, legal code or ideology is: the statement of the basic principles upon which the balancing calculations are formulated.

We're all making it up as we go along, whether individually or in groups of various size. In general, it's relatively easy for an individual who has limited contact with others to be consistent in his or her own personal code of conduct. They are able to negotiate mutually acceptable terms and conditions of relating to each of their counterparts. When the individual has many and various contact points, they have to assess, choose, prioritize, redirect efforts, compromise, renegotiate, and grade degrees of attainable good or unavoidable bad results.
In groups, the process becomes increasingly complicated. The larger the group associated with a written code, the more degrees and consistencies of adherence to its rules within that group, and the more likely splinter groups will form and break off to write a different code.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby edy420 on October 16th, 2020, 5:52 pm 

Freedom is actually quite scary. My great great Grandfather was born free. He was Maori, before the white man came. Basically a tribal Spartan with a hint of Viking. They would raid neighboring tribes for supplies, rape and capture slaves. There was even a small group of elite warriors who traveled from north to south slaughtering small tribes, just because they were bored. They were absolutely free to do anything they wanted.

Ask any Maori, 200 years ago, if its immoral to take another mans heart. They would say its not just ok, its honorable. Their moral model was based on millennia of survival of the fittest.

Modern Maori, forfeit many of their freedoms, for the sake of equal human rights. Its easy to think of as a see-saw of balanced equality. In the past we held freedom up higher than human rights. Today its better balanced, but some progressives would rather we hold human rights higher than freedoms. ie, give up the freedom of speech so the trans community has the right to protect their feelings.

I think, as long as you can maintain a decent balance between, freedom and basic equal human rights, then your moral model will be respectable.
edy420

Postby charon on October 17th, 2020, 4:08 am 

Freedom is actually quite scary.

It is, which is why people talk about it a lot but don't really want it :-)
charon
Resident Member

Return to Ethics