Why is There Something Instead of Nothing?

Discussions on the nature of being, existence, reality and knowledge. What is? How do we know?

Re: Why is There Something Instead of Nothing?

Postby charon on February 6th, 2019, 9:58 pm 

No, it is a mystery and I'll tell you why - because no one can explain it. It's that simple.

What do you mean by 'something'? It's rather a meaningless word. Let's start there.
charon

Postby DragonFly on February 6th, 2019, 10:40 pm 

OK, the Something is partially a mystery, but not as much as it used to be, so I'll try to keep unraveling it… and then Neri will appear and hopefully be able to help. We can't say right now what the Something is, but we are busy narrowing it down.

As for Keep_Relentless, I first posted with him in another forum around ten years ago, when he was only about 12 years old. I'm not really expecting him, since he comes and goes at long intervals.

Since the beginningless Something can't have a particular nature given to it as designed into it and since it yet isn't anything particular because it continues ever transforming with never stopping, we can identify 'nothing particular' with Everything, meaning Everything Possible, whether actually or potentially.

Note that Everything Possible is perhaps not that great of a finding out, for its information content of zero is the same as that of the impossible Nothing. Of course, someone may be able to employ this meaningless situation to deflate other proposals or wishes for something or other else.

Still, without much else to do, aside from ferrying regretful souls across the River Styx, or, in my case, flying around ponds, we can get curious as to whether the Everything Possible is all-at-once or all things happen in turn.

In either case, there may be repeats and reruns, but we can't now tell presentism apart from eternalism but for the former actually making use of our senses while the latter accords to Einstein's GR.

Thanks for keeping the thread going, Charon.
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby charon on February 6th, 2019, 11:44 pm 

Don't thank me too soon, I may not. It's rather difficult to talk about something that has no particular nature! How would you suggest I continue?
charon

Postby DragonFly on February 7th, 2019, 1:53 am 

charon » February 6th, 2019, 10:44 pm wrote:Don't thank me too soon, I may not. It's rather difficult to talk about something that has no particular nature! How would you suggest I continue?

We can smoke the pipe dreams of some of my quatrain poems on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLmkH3a0-Y
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby charon on February 7th, 2019, 7:44 am 

Oh, very interesting. I'm sure that's an Auzzie accent there plumbing the depths of Being...
charon

Postby DragonFly on February 8th, 2019, 8:23 pm 

In desperation, I call on the great ancient, Parmenides, who shocked the philosophical world (and still does) with his one and only real Something of 'What Is', thus foreshadowing Einstein's Block Universe, all expounded upon in the only surviving fragment of his great poem 'On Nature'.

Since past and future ever exist, Parmenides still exists and can likely traverse his way over to this section of the Block.

Ah, here he is, accompanied by the lovely, heavenly maidens who picked him up in a sky chariot and revealed the Truth to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIZSKm2O4Gk
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby charon on February 8th, 2019, 9:07 pm 

DF -

I'm not belittling the work put into those videos, they're phantasmagorical! But reality it is not :-)
charon

DragonFly liked this post

Postby DragonFly on February 8th, 2019, 10:33 pm 

The video was the least I could do to honor and popularize Parmenides' great words of revelation that are still difficult to go against today, and with his beloved heavenly bodies included too.

Indeed, the TOE will turn out to be very simple, unexciting even.
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby charon on February 8th, 2019, 11:47 pm 

I see you like heavenly bodies :-)
charon

Postby DragonFly on February 9th, 2019, 1:06 am 

charon » February 8th, 2019, 10:47 pm wrote:I see you like heavenly bodies :-)

Yes, there are many, although since your job is Hell, Charon, that is, well, it's many steps away from Heaven and the night skies ruined from too many fires burning. Does your boss, Pluto, give you time off or a vacation? Or has Pluto been demoted due to being underworlded as no longer being a planet?

(I have to go look for my 'Charon' story that I adapted and lengthened from a good short sketch.)
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby DragonFly on February 15th, 2019, 1:33 am 

Especially for those who note that everything can't happen all at once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wcRg1i8E18

Meanwhile, I call upon a Muse and a Djinnii to clarify Being versus Becoming and the option of an information bit/monad process…
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby charon on February 15th, 2019, 9:09 am 

to clarify Being versus Becoming

I 'd say there wasn't much difference. To be means to exist, and what exists is always in the process of becoming since nothing is static.

Only when there's nothing do being and becoming disappear.
charon

Postby gentric on February 16th, 2019, 11:53 pm 

I believe that something is what we can apply our identities to. Nothing is an identity that cannot be applied to anything. The only way to contradict the identity of nothing, is to be able to apply it to something. As such, it is merely a concept, and something we cannot apply to reality.
gentric
Forum Neophyte

Postby charon on February 17th, 2019, 1:20 pm 

Well, there's relative nothing. If I have something in my hand and then remove it there's nothing in my hand.

Whether or not there's an absolute nothing anywhere is something else :-)
charon

Postby DragonFly on February 17th, 2019, 5:44 pm 

I am in Tahiti, on vacation from Hawaii.

Clarity with soon be forthcoming on the time mode of the Something. A large Persian bottle is rolling ashore. I need a djinni, not just a peri or an houri.
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby Brent696 on February 19th, 2019, 12:37 am 

The first context, Time

As our consciousness is so confined to a mere moment of time, the "now" as it were, so can we perceive the "Identity" of some "thing" we might call something.

If your consciousness somehow was expanded to where you perceived say a trillion years all at once, all of those somethings, those identities such as bikes and cars and even rocks and planets, would simply be energy flowing in and out of temporary cohesion.

Identities merely snapshots of such a flow, "things" which are not really things at all, only momentary faces in a cloud.

If consciousness can perceived the nothingness of the universe, how can it be said to be inferior to it, as if merely a neuro-chemical effect. How can the small so fully embrace the whole.
Brent696

Postby DragonFly on February 19th, 2019, 1:20 pm 

The conclusion from the djinni is 'Now Here; No Where':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8seaR_YS7_A
DragonFly
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Metaphysics & Epistemology