consciousness or unconsciousness?

Discussions on the nature of being, existence, reality and knowledge. What is? How do we know?

Re: consciousness or unconsciousness?

Postby BadgerJelly on May 12th, 2017, 12:59 pm 

When I put my hand in a fire I feel it burning. When someone else does I don't feel it. You seem to think that I suffer the pain of burning by observing someone burn? That is just silly.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby DragonFly on May 12th, 2017, 1:00 pm 

The reasons and actions for Badger-body going across the room are directed by Badger-brain. The attending qualia, including, say, some knee pain, are "alerts" from the brain to itself (in its own evolved language) for ongoing consideration.

Even worse, to our sensibilities, than Badger-body just being along for the ride, the ride is such that it had to be just as it was, due to Badger-brain's choices that it had to compute given its state at the time.
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby Old Rasputin on May 12th, 2017, 2:24 pm 

Old Rasputin wrote:
BadgerJelly wrote:I am conscious that my body can move, I would simply call this "me moving" not me being conscious of my body moving about. I would phrase this for other people's bodies and refer to me be conscious of their bodily movements because they are not mine.

Whether we perceive our own bodies, or perceive “other people’s bodies”, BOTH are perceptions (that we are then conscious of).

BadgerJelly wrote:When I put my hand in a fire I feel it burning. When someone else does I don't feel it.

Correct. You can sense (perceive) more things about your own body than about another body. The 'number' of sensors that one uses to sense with is irrelevant. Sensing is still sensing.

It doesn't matter if you are sensing/perceiving your own body, or someone else's. Perceiving is still perceiving in all cases.

BadgerJelly wrote:You seem to think that I suffer the pain of burning by observing someone burn? That is just silly.

No, I don't think this, ...that would be silly. Since you don’t have pain sensors on his body, you therefore can’t sense (or know) his pain.
Old Rasputin
Banned User

Previous

Return to Metaphysics & Epistemology