Enlightenment (1685-1815)

Discussions on the nature of being, existence, reality and knowledge. What is? How do we know?

Enlightenment (1685-1815)

Postby Athena on May 11th, 2017, 2:51 pm 

Vivan said something about eastern ideas popping up in the west and it got me to thinking, when did eastern ideas pop up in the west? I am thinking the enlightenment in Europe would not have happened without trade with the east. Europe of the Dark Ages was not a great place to live because math and science were lost arts before trade with the east changed everything. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Athena
Banned User

Re: Enlightenment (1685-1815)

Postby mitchellmckain on May 11th, 2017, 8:45 pm 

Athena » May 11th, 2017, 1:51 pm wrote:Vivan said something about eastern ideas popping up in the west and it got me to thinking, when did eastern ideas pop up in the west? I am thinking the enlightenment in Europe would not have happened without trade with the east. Europe of the Dark Ages was not a great place to live because math and science were lost arts before trade with the east changed everything. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Absolutely. The Middle East/Moslem world briefly carried the torch of science for a while until Europe rediscovered it as you say from trade. Our number system 123456789 and algebra were a couple of their more important contributions. Soon afterwards, however, the Moslem world had their own barbarian invasion, the Turks in 11th century and Hulagu Khan in the 13th, and some might say they have yet to recover from the resulting dark age of their own.
mitchellmckain

BioWizard liked this post

Return to Metaphysics & Epistemology